Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 24″ kids bike or 24″/26″ convertible kids bike….
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

So sweajnr is rapidly out growing his 20″ bike and I’m already investigating options for the next season given current supply chain constraints etc.

I’m considering a full suspension bike for him next.  Yes, it is a lot for an 8 year old but here are some (potentially mitigating factors).

-I live in Canada and so the prices perhaps aren’t quite as nuts (although they’re still up there).

– I live 40 minutes from shuttle DH trails and 2.5 hours from a bike parks and even the greens have braking bumps currently.

– I’ve volunteered on the board of the local trail society and so get very good deals on some brands.

So I’m considering either the Norco Fluid FS 24 or the Rocky Mountain Reaper (assuming either are in stock…).  Both are roughly the same price.

The Norco is a dedicated 24″ bike which will hopefully last 2 seasons.  The Rocky Mountain is convertible from 24 to 26 so with the additional cost of an extra set of wheels it might go 3? 4? The Rocky also has adjustable geometry which (in theory) can be modified to accommodate the change in wheel size.

So I’m probably overthinking it but I’m not sure if 24″ then 26″ with the additional cost / hassle of buy & sell is better / worse than going for the convertible bike which should last longer.

BearBack
    Free Member

I’ve not seen a ‘not compromised’ 24/26 bike. The spawn rokk at least addresses the rear center/long chainstays but reach is always going to be an issue..either too long in 24 mode or too short in 26 mode
    If you get a deal on a Norco, do that, because Manitou….
    Resale on a sorted kids bike is high and you’ll probably loose only a bit more than the cost of the extra wheelset you’d need to switch sizes..if not in your area then send it to BC when you need to sell.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Thanks. I suppose that was my concern but you have expressed it better. Manitou = good? Or only good if get a deal. The junior Manitou fork is on lots of the more expensive builds.

BearBack
    Free Member

The chatter from the rad dads is that no-one is building a better kids fork than manitou right now.
    Also, looks like the Reapers reach actually gets shorter in 26 mode and its a farm gate comparatively for standover (although Rocky always seem to be taller than most based on their geo numbers).
    Weight is definitely a factor in either of these bikes though (~28-30lbs range) and there’s probably only Vpace building at reasonable kids weights right now. That said.. a kid is not breaking a whistler bike park Grom approved Norco, Rocky or Commencal frame anytime soon.
    Budget for a set of Brood Maxton tyres and tubeless just to make the weight a little less cruel 😉

BearBack
    Free Member

just a side line.. at 8.. you might only get a season at 24. but still a valuable wheelsize to progress into faster techier riding.

My ‘small’ 8yo went to 26 this year (at a stretch), his ‘tall’ older brother was 9 when he moved to 26. (27.5@ 10yrs now)

Our 20″ on bike progression has been
    Spawn Kotori (as 10spd) [6-7]
    Scott Scale JR 24 & Transition Ripcord (mullet’ed later to get extra life) [7-8]
    Vpace Moritz [8-9]
    BMC Speedfox Trailcrew XS 27.5 & Scott Spark Future Pro Small 27.5 [10 >11 hopefully]

sweaman2
    Free Member

Thanks. Indeed on the weight and tires. 24″ minions might be a bit much.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Did you order the vpace direct? Not considered that one but might be pricy….

BearBack
    Free Member

Yep, direct. Knock off 20% German tax, add the shipping, brokerage and 5% gst and it wasn’t too bad. Purchased frame only and built it up as imo the perfect kids pedallable BC trail bike.
    Also bought (separately) a 24″ Danny dirt jumper as it looks amazing, lighter and worked out cheaper than the out of stock Spawn alternative. Shipping was 3 days in both cases..

You have to email as Canada’s not an option on their webshop shipping…but let Markus/Soren know I sent you 😉

I’ll probably buy another Danny once they come back into stock.

igm

I have a 9&1/2 year olds on a Kona Stinky 2-4 at the moment. Very heavy as stock, but get one 2nd hand and swap components and it gets very respectable.

He’ll be going on to a XS Orange Five soon so it’ll be up for sale in a bit – but as I recall you’re in Calgary and I don’t get across there as much as I did a couple of years ago.

andylc
    Free Member

I have a Mondraker Factor 24 for my son, which I’ve just moved on to 26” wheels – which just fit – it means that the bike in total will last him 2 years or so. He has gained massive confidence with decent FSR and can manage the hardest routes at trail centres now, which I think is pretty cool for a 10 year old. Not cheap but it’s a gorgeous bike.

lardman
    Free Member

my boys @9yrs old are on XS 26″ frames, running 24″ wheels.

They’ll go up to 26″ wheels in the same frames in a year or 2. They’re not racing or riding to perform, and so the bikes are plenty good for them. I spent the xtra dosh getting the shocks/forks properly tuned for their weight. That made a ton of difference.

5lab

I don’t see what difference (on its own) adjusting a wheelsize would do? it would raise the BB (probably not desirable), but the overall bike fit would be exactly the same – why would a convertable bike last any longer?

hatter

Just put down an order on a Transition Ripcord for Jnr, he’s still able to ride his 20″ belter but I suspect he’ll be out of it soon. He’s a short arse so 26″ is a bit much.

Like the fact that it’s not too heavy, has 100 mm travel which is plenty for the kind of riding we’re likely to be doing and has proper RS suspension so we will be able to get spares for it easily.

I think it’s 24″ only but but it only has to last 2 years before his sister will mug him for it, then he’ll be onto an XS 27.5 I imagine.

Fingers crosseed we actually get to go to some decent places next year.

stevextc
    Free Member

We had a Fluid 24 which was a fantastic bike and lasted quite a while.
    After that he moved directly to a 27.5″ adult frame and 26″ wheels then gradually (depending on what we were riding) to his current 27.5″ wheels.

I’m not sure either way is better…his mate has a Yuma that converts 24 to 26 with change-able dropouts.. one of the kids he coaches has a Marin 24/26… another mate much shorter for their age just did the 26 on a 27.5 route.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘24″ kids bike or 24″/26″ convertible kids bike….’ is closed to new replies.