Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 20mm front hubs. Are they all the same width. Fox 36 & Hope Bulb.
  • I just fitted a 20mm conversion to a Hope Bulb front hub.
    I tried to fit it to a Fox 36mm Float fork and it’s too wide.
    The hub is 116mm, the fork is 110mm.

Now, I’m not absolutely certain it’s the right 20mm adapters in the hub.
    I bought them through STW and the guy selling them wasn’t certain himself, so he sent me a picture and they looked right and, as far as I could tell, Bulbs are the only Hope hubs to use circlips to hold the adapters in, so I assumed they were right.

Have I got the wrong adapters, or are there different width hubs ?
    I guess it should be easy enough to file the adapters down by 6mm total if I have to, I’ll just have to work out how much off each side to keep the disc alignment right.
    Or I could just buy the right ones, as long as I know they are right.

scaredypants

5bolt ones use different adaptors to 6bolt, I found out recently

6 bolt needs asymmetric ones

Stu_N

I’m struggling a bit to remember here but was there not an older Marzocchi 20mm setup in late 90s/ early 00s that was wider than the 20×110 that is now standard? That would have been around when Bulbs roamed the earth.

FWIW I ran a Bulb in Fox 36s and RS Psylos quite successfully for a long time so there must be some version that works with 110×20 axles

fivespot
    Free Member

Bulb fron 20mm adapters are different widths, unlike Pro2 variants which are identical. I can’t remember how much difference there was, but you will easliy see by eye.

mindmap3
    Free Member

As Scardypants says, there were two types of bulb adapters depending on the disc pattern.

I think the six bolt ones are still available (they certainly were last year or so when I was after some).

I think Marzocchi have always used the same width hubs as everyone else but they do space their disc mounts out further on 20mm forks so you have to use spacers to align the caliper.

singlespeedstu

Sounds like you have the wrong adaptors.
    They should measure 110mm across when fitted to the hub.
    One of the adaptors should be longer than the other.

If you need measurements for Bulb 20mm adaptors I have a pair in the garage that i can measure up for you.

teethgrinder

Bulbs are the only Hope hubs to use circlips to hold the adapters in

Are they? I have 20mm adaptors for my Pro2’s and they use ‘kind of’ circlips.

Kind of as they don’t have the little hole for the pliers, but they snap in to hold the caps in place.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pro 2 are circlip too

I was going by the Hope drawing of the Pro 2
    No sign of a circlip.

The drawing of the Bulb shows the circlips, but makes no mention of a 5 bolt version.

Stu, could you measure yours for me please.
    At least mine are too big so I can file one or both down by 6mm.

scaredypants

pro2 20mm need circlips as they are “held” on the outside of the 20mm channel in the hub but the 15mm just push in

Northwind

Yeah, IIRC Pro 2 QRs are also push-in.

singlespeedstu

Graham.
    i’ll try and remember to measure them tomorrow.

singlespeedstu

Looks to be a shade under 14mm for the drive side and 19mm for the brake side.

20140213_164823 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

20140213_164913 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Olly
    Free Member

are the bearings seated properly?

Thanks Stu, mine are both 19mm, so it looks like I’ve either got the wrong pair, or two left hand ones.

Olly, I removed the QR spacers without disturbing the bearings and the circlips clipped in the grooves OK, so I’m sure the bearings are all the way in.

scaredypants, maybe these are Pro 2 spacers then and they just don’t show the circlips on the drawing.

singlespeedstu

The brake side spacer measures up the same as the Pro2 spacers I have.
    The Pro2 spacers are also held in with the same spring clips as the Bulb.

Here we go, right hand spacer sawn and filed down to 14mm and front wheel fitted to fork.
    One step further forward for the tandem build.

singlespeedstu

**** the pictures of the fork and wheel.
    What we all want to know is have you got the Rabbit of Caerbannog locked up in that little cage?

If you have i think you need to beef up the security a bit in case it gets out and kills everyone in the Wyre Forset general area.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘20mm front hubs. Are they all the same width. Fox 36 & Hope Bulb.’ is closed to new replies.