Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2020 Pike Select Plus Vs Fox 36 Rhythm
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Hardtail has a 2020 Pike Select Plus on it, currently at 130mm. I can’t get it setup nicely, despite playing with tokens and pressures. It seems a bit slow even at full fast and ramps more than expected with one token, and crashes through a bit with none. I run 0 compression currently but perhaps these need it?

I believe these have the Charger 2.1 RC damper. The product ID doesn’t work on the trailhead app..

My full sus has a 2019 Lyrik Ultimate set at 150mm. It’s a lot nicer, well aware it’s a better damper. I don’t run any compression on these, both fully open and pretty fast on the rebound.

I want to go to 140mm and improve the fork otherwise. I have some 2020 Fox 36 Rhythm at 160mm which I could drop the travel on, are these going to be better than the Pike? They have the Fit Grip damper. I have ridden them at 160 and they felt good for a cheaper option against the Lyrik. There is however a weight penalty (and a stiffness increase).

Options I see are-

A. sub £100 to change the travel on the Fox
    B. ~£300 for the RCT3 damper and 140mm spring for the Pike. If that’s even an upgrade?
    C. Get another fork

I’m around 75kg so pretty average weight wise..

Any input?

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the same Pike, same travel, on my short travel FS bike and I love it.

Works very well, even at high speeds.

Why not have a play with the compression? Though you only have LSC to adjust and that may not fix what you describe (but worth a go).

I’m 5kg heavier than you, perhaps the default HSC tune is just perfect for me?

joebristol

Why not try removing the token and upping the pressure quite a bit. Will make it faster rebounding and should leave the top fairly plush whilst bumping up the mid range support.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

@chakaping, what settings are you running?

I’m happy to try the 140 airspring and maybe a service will help but they are not at their 200 hour mark yet, and have been apart for lower services. I’d rather not spend ~£130 to get the same performance on their return..

I’m on the higher pressure, less tokens approach with the Lyrik which suits me well. My understanding was the shorter travel forks usually came with more tokens fitted stock/as a starting point but perhaps I’ve read that wrong.

chakaping
    Free Member

@chakaping, what settings are you running?

I’ll check for you when I dig it out.

My understanding was the shorter travel forks usually came with more tokens fitted stock/as a starting point

That’s how I understand the RS approach as well, just reduced the travel on my Lyrik by 10mm and it definitely needed an extra token – was just plunging through its travel.

poah
    Free Member

IIRC there is no difference between the select plus and the ultimate RCT3 other than the adjuster for the 3 different levels of HSC preload. The select plus has a very soft LSC tune so the LSC adjuster doesn’t really do anything

I would swap out the air spring for one with a luftkappe on it and remove all tokens.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Isn’t the C1 airshaft doing a lot of what the Luftkappe was designed for? Or are they still radically different?

snotrag

I’ve owned both those exact forks and the Pike should perform much better – I’d stick with it and try get it tuned.

The compression adjustment range is very subtle as per above so needs some proper time spent getting it right.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.