Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2019 RockShox Pike Rct V 2017 Fox Float 34 Factory
  • plus-one

Both forks brand new. Pike £550 Fox Float 34 Factory(Evol upgrade)I’m waiting to hear back on price. Guess if the fox can be had for £400£-500 is it better fork/buy ? I’m not full on aggressive rider but like smooth/plush. Don’t do big jumps either.

Wwstd?

Cheers

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The fox fork you picked has Fit4 damper?
    I prefer Grip damper.
    Think the current fox high end forks use Grip 2.

Have a Fit4 fork as well. Not as plush as Grip in my opinion.

My biking pals with Pike fork: the Pike should be the “best ever trail fork”. Mmmhhh. For sure a very good fork. But like the Fox 34 Grip forks more.
    Detail: RockShox forks are quite often “dry” when brand new and feel like a piece of wood. They need a small service and only then they are plush. Never had this issue with Fox.

plus-one

Thanks for info. The more I look into it the more uncertain I am. Blimming internet 🙂

benpinnick

I’ve owned both (2018 version of the fox anyway). Pike no doubt for me. If it’s not a 2019 version after all then be sure to get the airspring upgrade.

bwakel
    Free Member

Get whichever is cheaper. The differences between these forks will be more down to the amount of effort you make setting them up and how well they match your bike and riding style than anything in the fork itself. If you don’t ride the other fork you’ll never have to worry about whether it’s 5% better (which is all it will be). Unfortunately the magazines and internet create league tables that are simplistic and of limited value. For what it’s worth, I have a Pike RC 2017 on one bike and a Fox 34 Rhythm 2018 on another and I had a Fox Factory 34 2014 previously. The basic 34 is much plusher for me, the Factory was always quite harsh and the Pike is generally harsh but does well on repeated mid-sized hits, particularly leading into a fast berm. But on your bike and with how you set it up and how you ride and with fork-to-fork variability (something rarely discussed but something I’ve found to be true) the order may be reversed.

joebristol

I’ve not ridden Fox forks but was looking for a bargain 140mm fork when building up my most recent hardtail. Ended up torn between a second hand 3017 Pike RC, new (but removed from a fully built bike) Fox 34 performance and a similar 36 in the basic spec. From what I’ve read all would be good forks and I went for the cheapest in the end – plus the steerer on the 36 was very tight on the cut length.

I’d go with whichever is the best deal – and if you work on forks yourself whichever you are most comfortable with.

I went with the Pike and the first thing I did was do a lowers service and stick in a 2019 debonair air shaft. So far I can’t fault the fork at all – feels nice and plush / sensitive, I’m using most of the travel and not bottoming out.

plus-one

Thanks guys I’m leaning towards the pike. I have a 2016 pike on my hardtail and it’s been great to be honest. I started looking at fox after I’d seen a few for sale second hand.

Then looking at the reviews I was getting drawn into the spiel 🙁

Reckon the pike 2019 rct £550 is where I’m heading

breadcrumb

I’ve a 15/16 Pike RCT3 and recently changed to a Debonair shaft. I thought it was good beforehand but it seems a lot more responsive now.

Do Fox still have short service intervals?

plus-one

Good point on service intervals. I had fox for few years while back and stanchion wear was also an issue.

joebristol

I think modern Fox have longer service intervals / aren’t as prone to wear as the older ones.

plus-one

Ok decision was made for me. Bagged last set of these £455 🙂

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fox-suspension-36-float-factory-forks-2018/rp-prod183261

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Great!
    Fantastic fork!
    You will enjoy it.

joebristol

Awesome price for a factory 36 – should be amazing!

plus-one

Guess they dropped the price today and I was online double checking specification when I noticed the huge price reduction.

Hopefully won’t rue my choice 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2019 RockShox Pike Rct V 2017 Fox Float 34 Factory’ is closed to new replies.