• This topic has 281 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 282 total)
  • 2018 Road Racing
  • crosshair
    Free Member

🙁

crosshair
    Free Member

I was reinvigorated for today’s race. After the balls-ups ofthe last few weeks, I was pinning quite a lot of hope on a visit to Odd Down.

At 90mins, it’s the furthest venue yet but actually, not abad run with the M4 light in both directions and Bath not mega busy.

The facilities are quite lively as it is a sports field toobut there was a café and loo’s/changing rooms etc.
    This was the final round of their winter series whichcarried points down to 20th place I think and had good cash prizes.

There was quite a bit of banter between the regulars and 38 on the start line.
    I warmed up on the Turbo for a change but with only 20mins,I did 170w for five minutes, 225 for five, 275 for two, then 300 for 1 and acouple of 30 sec bursts at 400.

The course is only about 30m wide in a back to front r shape and within that 30m are both lanes around 5m apart. This is actually pretty cool for spectating although it’s half a mile from the top to the bottom with a drop/rise in altitude that looks worse than perhaps the numbers suggest. The wind today was the non-prevailing Easterly which meant the first straight after the top hairpin was a lot tougher than would usually be the case. The two 180’s at the top and bottom required respect as did the uphill, outside corner of the back to front r.

Waiting to get a couple of sighting laps in, the women came tonking into the top hairpin by the gate on their bell lap, and one lady clipped the grass and crashed into another. The assembled Cat 4’s stayed quiet but I did hear a few gulps!

As it turned out, I sabotaged myself before we began but only by making a reasonable assumption. Which was that there would be a split.It has a reputation for being a selective course. Each lap effectively has three sprints out of tight corners- like a classic (American?) city centre course.

With a week’s worth of pent-up dreaming as usual, I burst out onto the warmup lap in fine fettle! Despite being a little tight earlier inthe day, my legs felt great and I found myself whistling down the wind at 26mph.RPE was playing tricks and the only reason for my good progress was way too many watts. I usually laugh at the 350w warm up guy who’s soon flailing in the race but today I was surely him!
    Anyway, tight corners safely negotiated, I loved the course and felt great. Lining up in the second row, it was game on.
    Being a newbie to the venue and the series was bliss! I hadno idea who the choppers were or even if it’s a crashfest or not. This helped considerably and instead of bracing myself and backing out of situations that looked imminently hairy, I kept my nose in there and held my line well. Mainly because I had too!!

As we set off, I was on or near the pointy end. RPE was still not calibrated and 360w pulls on the front felt like I could do them all day. Carving through the hairpins, I was out-accelerating everyone around me and feeling confident that this kind of pace would help force the inevitable split. A few of us worked together loosely and eventually, someone shouted forward that we had the gap. Feeling vindicated, we all kept drilling it. But the motivation in the bunch was high and not many turns later it seemed, the news that we were back together filtered forwards. Still attacks came and I kept trying to help ramp things up.

On one lap early on, I confidently flung my bike into the bottom hairpin and arrogantly began drilling it halfway through. SCHHHHHHR!!!! I had the biggest pedal strike ever! Thankfully the rear wheel couldn’t dislodge its hefty load but it meant my confidence was a little dented and I didn’t dare accelerate until the bike was stood up after that!
    However! This was like nowhere that I had raced before in that three times a lap, a huge acceleration punished my relatively poor w/kg. The efforts out of three corners were 800w a go and that uses up matches at quite a rate. At around 8 miles in, so almost halfway, the group slowly reformed into a blob from the stretched-out line it had been so far and I was cooked!
    NP was showing as 340w- so over FTP and the first time I’d ever seen it so high in arace. If the split had gone now, I would have been finished.

Drifting back with my chest heaving, I tried to swallow some sugar and recover. Normally, this is a simple task which, with a few cheeky tail-gunning moves and some care on the brakes can see you settle in at sub Z2 wattage. Not today! Those 3 efforts per lap were just as savage at the back as they were at the front. If not more so as the cornering of those around you was less assured, and by the time we were powering out of the top hairpin, the bunch were so far down the headwind straight that I couldn’t ease off for 30 seconds or more.

I knew I was too far back now but the cost of getting repositioned at the front was going to eat into my sprint reserves for what was surely now going to be a bunch sprint. So, I tried every line on the circuit to gain free places.Nothing doing! I even tried to get a bit fruity in the hairpins again but I couldn’t bring myself to risk another pedal strike.

No use crying over spilt milk- it was time to take responsibility for my poor positioning and early enthusiasm and began keeping the power on a little more out of each corner. Slowly I ticked people off and before I knew it, it was the Cat4 industry standard +3mph final lap! Rounding the bottom hairpin, I vaguely knew in the back of my mind it was a 50 second or so effort to the line. Time to empty the tanks of whatever reserves I had restored!

Making up places, we approached the tricky 90degree corner that is basically,as hard as how many people are going through it at once it seems. I.e. if you are solo, it’s not worth a second thought but with ten people surrounding you, your options and angles are limited.

For probably the one time all race, I was overly cautious here and decided to follow a Bath Uni rider through rather than punt it up the inside and let him deal with the consequences. Whether that cost me tenth place or better, I’ll never know but it certainly meant I opened up the taps from 5yards further back on the leaders.

My sprint wasn’t out of this world in terms of power but it was reeling people in- and fast. It was top 30% of all time for the final 30secs and top 25% of all time for the final 10 seconds but sadly, and like other weeks, it was from too far back and saw me cross the line mid-way along a strung-out pack.

The riders congregated around the Comms eagerly and I wished I was sharing their expectant excitement. “Hey, Red Handlebars!” shouted the Comm, “…come here!”

My mind raced! Was I in the points after all or was I due a bollocking for some unknown misdemeanour? I scooted over and he was busy counting out the places and relative numbers/bike descriptions. With no idea in my fuzzy mind what my number was, I was still none the wiser as he re-counted through the placings.
    He had got past ten and not looked back up at me and I had no idea still and said; “So I wasn’t anywhere?” to which he replied “Yes….” and time stood still! I had done it after all. That final surge had brought me into the points and the mounting pressure of poor results and tactical blunders was eased!!!

“… you got 15th!” he finished his sentence! Grrr! He thought I would have been pleased with the series points but of course, they were irrelevant to me. Ah well, it was a nice surprise for a split second!

For some strange reason though, I can’t help but be pleased with the day. It was awesome weather, great to have Joe there, a friendly atmosphere and a cracking if brutal course that was genuinely satisfying to ride in its own right.
    It was also a safe race with some of the highest overall riding standards I’ve seen. No crashes and just a tiny bit of grass surfing at one point.

I guess the reason Cat 4 racing is generally negative is that people commit to the bunch sprint. By committing to a different tactic, you of course accept the decreased chance of it paying off.And probably reduce your chances of a crash in the process. Well, I had a plan today and I committed to making it work. In hindsight it was the wrong one but I still recovered and got close to pulling off plan B V’s guys racing their plan A.
    Self-justification for another ‘failed’ attempt? Maybe- but I honestly don’t think another point on my license would have trumped the fun few laps at the beginning- and the chance of 10 was worth it at the time.

On the cool down lap, a nice guy rode up alongside and was very complimentary about my bunch skills. He said he looked out for my wheel as I was very safe and very powerful! Beaming with pride,I felt really good to the point that I thought my head may explode. Then he said;“but if I can offer one word of advice- you’d be so much faster if you just bent your elbows!!” 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

🙂

gray

Nice work crosshair! Sounds like you had fun. One of these days one of these stories will end with a podium, I’m sure!

crosshair
    Free Member

Curious to know what happened in the 3rd Cat race at Hillingdon today. 7 DQ’s apparently???

crosshair
    Free Member

Ah, the E,1,2 and 3rd Cat only races were run concurrently and the riders were DQ’d for drafting the quicker race.

Abingdon this Saturday but it looks set to be pretty bleak!!

weeksy

Abingdon this Saturday but it looks set to be pretty bleak!!

I do wonder why you seem to race in the depths of winter 🙂

Surely racing in July would be far nicer…

Good luck either way though…. Wrap up warm !

crosshair
    Free Member

Feb through to Apr are my quietest weekends at work for one thing but it’s still good fun obsessing before and after 🙂

It also helps sharpen your bunch skills in a relatively controlled environment that somehow feels a little safer than doing it on the Sunday club run.

Odd Down was lovely weather though- a glorious day to be out.

scaredypants

nothing to add, except a gentle LOL for

Then he said;“but if I can offer one word of advice- you’d be so much faster if you just bent your elbows!!

rawka
    Free Member

Re Hillingdon DQs – 3rd cat race eased to allow the E12 bunch through, then when the E12 group had a 10-15 second gap some riders attacked and sat on the E12 group for a free tow away. Left the rest of the 3rd cat bunch a little confused for the rest of the race!

weeksy

Next time someone asks me, was it tough, I’ll just show them this

2018-02-28_10-20-41 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode LITE

crosshair
    Free Member

TiRed’s list?? Completed it mate 😎🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

Even though it hasn’t really started yet, I already felt like 2018 was getting away from me. Training at my FTP from December, I certainly didn’t feel like I was being complacent- the workouts were tough!
    But I’d ended up a victim in every race so far or so it seemed. Victim of the weather at Abingdon, victim of the crash at Hillingdon, victim of the crash at Thruxton and just simply out classed at Odd Down by the series regulars- I had stopped taking responsibility for my results.

It was time to take stock and sort out my act. First up was the TR ramp test. I had done one a couple of weeks prior and written off the result as being skewed by fatigue.
    Low and behold, this one was identical! And minus 20w from where I had been training. No wonder I’d felt washed out and like I was going backwards. I was surviving the elevated workouts but not recovering.

Then there was weight! I’d been training to increase power only in Dec/Jan and eating what I liked. Whilst not so important on the flat, fast tracks, the extra KG’s stung hard at Odd Down and were likely affecting my aero’s too. So an embarrassed go on the scales and a bit of MyFitnessPal was also urgently required.

Bikes next and a discovery! Perhaps even important enough to account for some of my ‘missing’ FTP- the saddle on my Turbo bike was as far back as it would go and it had happened so gradually that I hadn’t noticed!
    Combined with the lower FTP, adjusting this correctly once more meant I could now complete shorter intervals in a (slightly) better aero position again.

The other is even more stupid! The 170mm Ultegra Stages I had bought from Sigma Sport in the 2016 Black Friday sale… the one I’d raced on throughout 2017….. it’s a 175!!!!!!!! Paired with a 170mm crankset that I’d built the race bike up with to match! Hmmmmm!
    So the cheapest solution was to get a new crankset and I decided to go for a 53/39 in the process and put the 50/34 on my CX bike.

Next up was a new skinsuit. A long sleeved, winter CX one. Racing in the thick fluro training jersey just wasn’t on. I was now ready for whatever Abingdon could throw at me.

Feeling a little more in control of things, Snowmageddon had other ideas and Abingdon was cancelled. Ah well, I decided to line up a double header. Hillingdon on Saturday and Thruxton on Sunday.
    And then Thruxton got cancelled too! With Hillingdon in the balance, I thought it might be for the best if that was cancelled as well, as my legs were sore from a couple of tough Build weeks.

As is often the case, this mornings weather wasn’t as bad as forecast though and the race was on. I hadn’t pre entered and the website didn’t list the entries so I had no idea who my competition would be.
    Signing on, I wondered where the other sheet of names was. Hey? Number 6! Five pre entries plus me.

A few more arrived and I actually felt worse for knowing it was a small field. Getting DNF/15 or 9/12 seemed to me to be the cruelest results imaginable!

I was prepared today. Not only did I have my winter skinsuit and base layer but I also had chemical hand warmers in my gloves and inside my shoe-covers. I’m not getting that cold in a race ever again! As it was dry (despite the continuous snow oddly), I left the leg warmers off though.

A couple of pre entries never showed and 7 of us hardy souls lined up. The pressure felt more intense than ever. This was the best chance I’d ever have for a podium.
    Setting off in good spirits, a Loughborough Uni rider did his warmup on the front and we all filled in behind. I took a turn or two and tried to keep a lid on my excitement.
    But it was hard not to open up a gap. Once or twice I found myself three or four bike lengths clear. A lap later, I looked around and noticed that the Loughborough guy, a Windy Millar and myself were clear of the others!
    They hadn’t noticed so I shouted out and we decided to press on, taking turns every 30seconds or so.

Another lap or two went by and Windy Milllar was five bike lengths back so I shouted to L.U. to press on a little harder still.
    I was pulling the headwind (start/finish) straight every lap at 450w and Windy Millar said at the end of the race it was taking 400 for him even in my draft.

So, dream come true! In a 2-up breakaway. I was torn, and remain so, about whether to feel proud of this fact given the tiny field but hey, it was a legit race that anyone could have turned up to right?

As we lapped the woman’s race for a second time, I dared to look back and couldn’t even see another Cat4 rider.
    With ten minutes plus three laps to go, L.U. started to play games. Timing it so I was pulling on the headwind straight again, he’d then attack me through BusStops and into Brian’s. Being a lot lighter, this was his only slight advantage across the whole course but I managed to keep contact. Three to go, and we played a bit of Cat and mouse. Riding side by side, I commented that it was almost a shame to have to contest the finish and genuinely felt that way a little.

Bell lap then and we cruised almost side by side once more. A lapped rider suddenly ripped back past and I jumped thinking it was L.U. He jumped too and we sped up then slowed once more. Through Brian’s and I knew my best advantage left was the downhill- so I attacked the climb. 900w over the top and 600 down the hill, I pressed on. Hitting the bend near the clubhouse with a tailwind, it was the first time all race I was going too fast to pedal through (34mph at a guess). Relatively fresh, I kept pushing all the way up the sprint straight and ended up about 200m clear.

So my first win! But it is a little bit hollow….. and I’m pretty sure it’s only three points for a <10 person field right?

Loads of positives to take away though. Bike felt awesome, gear worked perfectly and I never got cold! And a win is a win is a win right??
    (A bit like winning a mid morning race against five Japanese blokes on Zwift!)

weeksy

You can only beat who turns up! Take the glory and bask in it.

crosshair
    Free Member

Well yeah but it’s hardly solo’ing away from an 85man Thruxton pack is it 🤣

weeksy

Hush now. You won. That’s it fella. Your record shows

crosshair
    Free Member

Well my points are safely on my license 😂 Annoying to have placed 8th, 5th and 1st since the start of December and only have 8 not 17 but still, better than nothing.

Next race will be the 31st as long as Beast from the East 3 stays away 🤞🏻

weeksy

Where’s that one ?

crosshair
    Free Member

Hillingdon. And then Thruxton on Sunday 01st.

TiRed

A win is a win!!! It’s the number who pre-entered, not who start on the line. If 10 people registered to race, you get all ten points. If nine registered, it’s only three points. The comm will know.

Congratulations!!!! Delighted for you.

crosshair
    Free Member

Thank you! It was 9 including pre-entries sadly 🤦🏻‍♂️

Keep on trying 😀

weeksy

Oh man, you could have entered me and JOe LOL

crosshair
    Free Member

Annoyingly, one Cat 4 guy rode the 2,3,4 race too- if he’d joined our race we’d have been sorted!

gray

Wow, well done crosshair! Definitely still a big deal regardless of the field size; I’m impressed and pleased.

TiRed

First race this year! After building up a bike for my nephew from a donated frame, some parts from the spares box, classic race wheels from a club mate, and assorted red and shiny bling, I took him to a Go Race. He’s just 15, but 184 cm and 60 kg (I wish). The jump to a full regional U16 race would be huge on a bike he’d never ridden (normal bike is a disc braked Claude Butler alloy).

Up early and a drive to Gravesend. A quick bike fit, then some laps of the circuit to give him some coaching. Of course he climbs rather rapidly – 350W up the slope in a warm-up!

Then his race – quick TT of one lap of the short top circuit with hairpin and a race against three young ladies – some of whom are rather rapid. Good group riding, and he attacks to ride away dragging one with him. A couple of laps later he puts down the hammer and rides away to lap the field. Win! Of course he’s on a high. Bike was “amazing” – even if the groupset is older than he is. Good kit is always good, even when old.

New Bike!

Dropped him home and dashed back around the M25 to Hillingdon for my WDMBC 234 race of 35 laps. My first race this year due to illness, snow and general ambivelence. Starting laps are averaging 305-315 W on the lovely Assioma pedals, things calm a little, but still consistently sub 2 minute laps (280 W). Some try for breaks, but the field of 65 riders is having none of it. Attrition is high as riders fall away and riders are lapped. One third over and I’m feeling OK, moving up to mid-third of the pack

Plan was sit in first third, move up and then attack with 7 to go if I had much to give. Unfortunately the lap board is produced from 15 to go, so the element of surprise is gone, despite my Garmin lap counter providing the strategy updates. Ten laps to go and I’m now top third, and still feeling pretty good. Every jump is chased down until one rider gets a break and a few gaps open.

Last lap sprint time, I’m comfortable so feel like pushing up and “contesting”, but pretty sure that the Assiomas will just  tell me how poor my sprinting is (it is). Get onto a known vet wheel (who’s an excellent sprinter) and pass him on Brian’s Bends, and away we go. Fast lap, and I finish down the straight in the saddle for top third and in the first bunch. Of course my friend just pipped me on the line.

NP 275 W or 4 W/kg – could have been Zwift 😉 and a massive 950W sprint. Next step is to get over the KW with some 20/40s – Chris Hoy should be worried 😀

weeksy

950w ain’t bad at all boy ! Nice work !

TiRed

We need a new unit of age-adjusted W/kg 🙂 . Half the riders looked younger than my son and a fair few Juniors riding 52×14 gear restrictions – but then my average cadence was 105 as well.

Second Cat FTP (4.3 W/Kg) with a 4th cat sprint (14 W/Kg) – puts me fairly and squarely in the long-distance TT category 😉

weeksy

By making it to lap 2 in the bunch you have my respect 🙂

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Nice one TiRed- welcome back!

Here’s a mini write up for MK bowl last Saturday to counter some of the essays on here….picked up a mate locally, arrived slightly late/ tagged too much, super short warm up further shortened by PM during and trying to resolve that (I should have done something in autumn when it told me to I guess!!!).

Cold and wet through the race, 50 mins + 5 laps. Approx  1 hour and approx 40 riders I would say. Mostly quite cagey due to the wet. 2 riders I’m convinced tried to kill me every lap and I noticed a couple were caught out by the same corner equally on the last lap as the first….

Surfed up and down the pack as I pleased, anytime I lost space I recovered 10s of places on the short climb to the finish.

Speed picked up a little at 5 to go and I stopped messing around on/near the front and tucked in. Coming into the last corner at the bottom of the climb I was slightly further back and wider than I wanted to be. I opened up the taps a little earlier than I had hoped and thought I had gone to early but the group immediately in front of me slowed as I felt alright and kept going. Possibly (wishful thinking?) Closing up on the group at the front bit ran out of track before it became an issue.

I counted 2nd for my mate and 8th for myself, I didn’t run out of fingers so figured at least a point.

Quite pleased with that (previous best was 9th, January Abingdon crit). Results last night showed 7th so even better!

My third flux is going back to the shop for warranty this week so will have an easy-ish week with a couple of outside rides, before Combe Friday and Thruxton Easter Sunday.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

@Tired – Giant TCRs are ace!  I just built one up for a club mate and he’s chuffed with it!

Agree with all the others, you can only race who turns up!  Its only early season too!

TiRed

Well there is a 30-strong field for Friday’s U16 at Rebridge. Bit of a trek for me, but it could be a good introduction to real racing for him. The course should suit him, once he gets used to some of the bends. Saw the results of the E123 at MK, and it looked fast (43 km/h average). Not a course that suits me, and always sketchy in places. Felt great to be back racing though, and fitness is higher than I had expected.

TiRed

Took nephew to Redbridge (Hog Hill) for his first race. The Alan Rosner memorial races. He loved it, despite being off the back and forced to ride a shortened corse (no bottom circuit due to floods).

I signed on for the National B E12 rather than the later 234 as I wanted a fast getaway. Rain started, pressure up, cold. Warmed up well. Rode a few shortened laps, and bang, the 35 of us are off. Held on for three and a half laps of gritty jet wash. Carbon rims and dual pivots are just fine!

Then  off the back with a few others and race over.  Rain is driving, wind is brutal, and the hill reps are basically 60 sec recovery, then 40 second efforts. For an hour. Attrition starts as hypothermia sets in. I chase riders, try and ride with them, but then they bail. Of course I’m lapped. Five times in total!

Riding consistent laps, with consisten power, but heart rate was declining steadily due to hypothermia. Race finished after 55 minutes and I’m 17. Just off the points, but pretty pleased just to finish.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1480457206/overview

NP 297 W, which is basically a chilled FTP test.

curto80
    Free Member

Thruxton tomorrow anyone?

TiRed

Missed CH yesterday at Hillingdon, where thwarted by a puncture, he narrowly missed out on his third cat points.

Raced the final 234 after. Pace was a little slower off the mark than last week. A few attacks, a lot of towing the pack, and much stringing out for some serious chasing. A group got away, then the juniors start the charge, with a very strong young lady pulling just as hard on the front. I put in a big effort and am almost dropped as a reward for my efforts.

Held on, attacked with five to go into no man’s land thinking oooh TT to the finish as a vet friend blocks the front. Half a lap later, I’m back in the fold and nobody is getting away. Another vet ups the pace to make a long lead out and a safer final lap, but I roll in at the back of the bunch with a Pearl Heaven rider who deserved the win

Great fun and dry! NP 287 W and pleased with that effort. Felt like it to, as legs were sore all evening.

Unlucky CH. Westerley crits are coming soon.

TiRed

62nd edition of The Archer Spring Criterium this afternoon. Sir Bradley is a previous winner. 54 laps of Hillingdon or 84 km. Fast km. National B race, so domestic teams are here in force. In fact cycling clubs are a minority- everyone wants to be in an RT these days. No Elites (phew!). About 70 riders

pace is fast from the off, fast but not murderous. I’m sitting in mid pack, but still knocking out 3-4 W/kg. Primes are called with a whistle, the pack goes mad, then calms down. A lot of teams and known strong first cats try for breaks. I do a little blocking and am shouted at, it’s a team sport. More attacks, more primes.

The gel store was bare today, so I’m eating Bloks instead, which I do like, but need careful bike skills. Two bottles too as it’s nearly two hours.

up near the front with about 12 to go, I get into a small break, but it’s caught quickly. Settle in for the inevitable sprint, which I’m not going to trouble. A bit of bunching, but i gain a few places. About top half so very happy.

Averag speed was 28.5 mph. NP 277 W again, or 4 W/kg for just under two hours. I have a new fastest Hillingdon lap time too. 1:50!

nathb
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re doing very well TiRed!!

I raced on Saturday, first time in many months, it was a bit of a disaster….well not a crash sort of disaster but still not great…

I’m on a Ketosis diet and had been in Ketosis up until the work week from hell (talking some 9am-2am days..) and 0 cycling. This all ended with 4 pints at the local on Friday… knocking myself out of Ketosis. Poor planning meant I was in a rush to get from Tunbridge to Ealing for the cars MOT before the race. So I accidentally fasted…

What this meant was I turned up with a body wanting to burn carbs that didn’t exist in the quantities required…

The race itself was a real struggle, talking 185bpm just to stay with the bunch (210 cap), the number of riders were too high for that circuit!! Every corner was swamped and it was really hard to move up/find a gap.

Ended up being in tailgunner position or 3/4 back for the majority of the race, but this was kind of offset by the sheer volume of riders…

So then I got dropped for the first time ever in a race!! 52 mins in with 3 laps to go and absolutely no legs I tried to get my monies worth… Found a gap in the bunch on the only spot there ever was one and attacked hard, talking from rear to front of a 50/60 rider bunch. Got myself about a 10ft gap and then blew up haha.

Pulled off to one side and rode the last lap with a chap who I think had followed my move but also blew. After chatting to him for a the remainder we managed to see the ending as we cornered and then we sprinted against eachother for effect. 🙂

Nutritional lesson learned!!

weeksy

Why are you still on this diet thing Nath ? I can’t recall what the initial logic was, but you’ve been on it and doing badly compared to your previous form for a long time, so i’m struggling with why you’re keeping going with it ?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I don’t race on the road, but my little lad (the eldest one) started this weekend in the Welsh Cycling Go-Ride circuit race series. He’s only 6, but he’s been racing ‘cross for 2 1/2 seasons in the North West League U8’s, he came 8th overall this year with a string of top 10’s.

I asked him if he fancied a go at road racing and he jumped on it, so off we headed to Marsh Tracks in Rhyl at the weekend, similarly to Ti’s post up there; they do a one lap time trial followed by a multi-lap race. As we were first there and he was keen to have a go on the circuit the organiser asked if he could do a lap to figure out how fast the little’uns would be to set the number of the laps for the race. So off he rolled, into the first bend and promptly got dive bombed by a seagull, taking him down, ripping his bar tape and a big bit of road rash on his face, plus a couple of rips in his kit. He was startled and upset as you can imagine, but after some magic cream (savlon) and a few sweets he was ready to sign on.

First up was the one lap TT, now he doesn’t know his left from his right too well, so when brief said to to left a the end, he got a tad confused and had a bit of a wander, subsequently he lost 20 seconds of his 30 second gap, probably not helped by having no one to chase down / follow which he’s used to from racing bigger kids at ‘cross, but hey ho, that’s kids for you.

Next up was the main race, 5 laps of the track. They lined up and he got the gist of it this time, he went off with the little group and followed them round the first bend, then onto the back straight he stood up and put his mini hammer down, opening up a gap and extending it right through the 5 laps to take the win by over half a lap.

I worked out his pace after the race and it turns out the little monkey averaged 25.8kph for the race!

weeksy

Fantastic ! Excellent

nathb
    Free Member

Haha ace @steve_b77

@weeksy
    – It’s health over BC points for me. I’m Trying to come off “omeprazole”with this diet. I just need to keep at it until I find the sweetspot to enable me to have the health benefits and get BC points. This week wasn’t a representative example of what I can do in a Ketosis state.

I’m going to crack on and do some Zwift racing soon to experiment – it’s a lot cheaper!!

Stats wise I test at 300w FTP and I’m now 71kg.

Not a million miles away from peak 337w@67kg…(not going below 70kg this time)

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 282 total)

The topic ‘2018 Road Racing’ is closed to new replies.