2018 Road Racing

Home Forum Bike Forum 2018 Road Racing

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 282 total)
  • 2018 Road Racing
  • steve_b77

Just turned 6 years old Mini me No.1 was racing again last week, with the first round of the Marsh Tracs Summer Series on Wednesday where he was in with the U8’s and U10’s. Racing with the big boys & girls gives him someone to chase, which always seems to work in his favor.

They raced on the short track (800m) for 15mins plus 3 laps and he did us proud coming 2nd in the U8’s and 7th Overall

He then went to Pwllheli at Glasfryn Parc go-cart track for the 2nd round of the Welsh Cycling Junior Race series on Friday, the weather was frankly horrible with heavy rain and temperatures hovering around 6deg C, so much so the start was delayed by 45 minutes to allow a lot of the water to be brushed off the track.

He raced in the 6 and Under cat, but due to the time constraints they combined that and the 8 and Under together.

He started off by winning the single lap TT (in his Cat) and then went on to win the lapped race (in his Cat) by 3/4 of a lap and placing top 5 overall too, so all in all a rather successful foray over the border for the little chap.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Clearly a star in the making ! Awesome !

TiRed

That’s a well earned hot chocolate if ever I saw one!

crosshair

Awesome Mini Steve!! Fantastic stuff! I’d love to try and get my son going at something this summer.

Nice one TiRed! Well done you. Sounds another fun race too!!

Excess weight was definitely not an advantage on the club run yesterday! 297W NP for 2h18 after things got a little competitive 🤣

crosshair

Racing with Nath last night in the Cat 3 only race at Hillingdon.

It was another lovely evening weather wise with one small twist- a 12/15mph NNE. That’s an odd wind for here and meant, with us going anti clockwise, that the hill was slow and the straight was super fast.

It was a big field with around 60+ in our race and 40(?) in the big boys race that would be no doubt spoiling our fun at some point.

From there, there’s sadly not much to say!! I wanted a tough training session and was happy to try a few suicide moves off the front. But from the first lap, I was already 3/4 way back and just couldn’t move up! I’d get half way through as we went up the hill then drift steadily backwards again.

The main straight normally presents opportunities but at 33+mph, you aren’t going to make much progress out in the wind so before you know it, another lap has passed.

Sure enough, the E123 race had an impact a few times and a break of ours that got fairly away was ordered back by the comms at risk of DQ!! Shame for them! But I wasn’t anywhere near it 😂

The main E123 bunch do their usual ego pass and then sit up in front of us, effectively neutralising our race for another couple of laps 🤦🏻‍♂️

Joking of course but it is annoying. Perhaps TiRed is right and I should just try that one instead.

Anyway… nothing happened beyond that. I got to perhaps top ten or maybe five at one point and pushed hard on the pedals for two laps but that was it really. Very much pack fodder.

I’d say ten people could influence our race, ten could just about cling on and the other forty+ of us were very evenly matched and only separated by bravery and luck!

Still- bombing around the Don at speed is pretty good fun I guess 👍🏻👍🏻

TiRed

The E123 was brutal. A group of nine got away including the winner of Sunday’s Lincoln GP. Bunch chased and chased. I was sprinting down the straight out of the saddle holding 450 Watts just to hold a wheel on some laps!

Passed the thirds. Thanks for the encouragement. I needed it. And yes we were guilty of easing up at times. I thought that the break of four then three looked rather promising in your race – I’m always that fourth man who can’t quite get there! Bob the com is a stickler for non interference. I had to drop back last week, so I know how they are feeling.  Did plenty turns on the front  the slope was fantastic for me, barely noticed the wind at all, but towards the hour point I was running on fumes.

Anyway the five lap board comes up and I was wishing it said three!  Stayed on but when the last lap sprint for one point came, I rolled in at the back. Oldest rider in the race and not last, dropped or lapped  NP was 295 or 4.33 Watts/kg for 75 minutes. You don’t get that on Zwift 😀

Then I rode another 12 laps to test a skinsuit, so apologies for not stopping for a tea.

nathb

What CH said to be honest.

Felt much safer in that race than I ever have in a 3/4, mentally I kept reminding myself that no one here has just bought a bike and turned up to race. 😆

I’m in between another large diet change so wasn’t expecting amazing things, very happy to just stick with the bunch!

I’m aiming to do the anti-clockwise races, so will skip next week and have a look at doing the week after. Partly because I hate clockwise and also it’s a huge effort to get there and back (5am start and 10.30pm before I’m even home again).

crosshair

Back to Thruxton tonight hoping for better luck. A bad crash on the A303 could have scuppered things but I met the queue right by a junction thankfully. Trying another route, a random road closure meant I ended back up in Andover anyway- exactly what I was trying to avoid. It didn’t really matter though and I arrived in plenty of time.

As it was, they moved it back 15mins to allow for the late arrivals.

I decided to warm up on the Turbo for a change. I’ve had it in the car all year but always decided against it. The warm up area is tough at Thruxton going up the pit lane and down the start straight. So you can do sprints but even Sustained Z2 is tough.

I didn’t add much structure. Just ten mins at 200ish, 2 mins at 300 then a couple of 30seconds @ 400.

When I filled up the remaining time on the pit lane loop, I wasn’t sure if it had made a difference but I did at least have a sweat on for once.

Entries were a little bigger this evening with about 60 in our race and enough women for their own race   too. A Storey Racing lady decided to join our race for better experience and she was generally in there mixing it up.

After telling MrB that the 2/3 race doesn’t have a built in warm up, we then dawdled off at about 22mph!

Soon it exploded though and it was awesome! With such a strong wind, it was a lap of two halves and the downwind half was very close to 40mph every time!!

I really focussed on my positioning tonight and it made all the difference. If I could coast, I did, if I could move up, I did, if I found myself in the wind as the front of the group sat up- I tempo’d forward and if I carried significant momentum when a move was developing- I followed and if I needed to stick out my elbow and defend my wheel I did!

After studying the wind sock and google maps during warm up, I already knew where I needed to be on each part of the circuit to avoid the head and cross winds,

Up the ‘Hill’ that meant the left hand side but every time, the leaders would swoop right handed leaving the lee side unprotected and I could literally ride at Threshold from the back of the bunch to nearly the front without any issues at all, slotting in before the chicane.

Attacks were constant and varied and inevitably a break got away. And at least one more.

And still people tried to create action.

Venta were active again, blocking very skilfully.

Ultimately, I rolled in with the bunch but it was so much fun.

There were fleeting moments when I could have gone all in to chase a fledgling move which I regret not doing but there were so many positives, it’s hard to care too much.

I’m certainly not going to consider chasing my 40points this year- there is so much to learn about bike racing that I reckon I’m as far from Cat 2 now as I was from 3 when I started.

I may try the Hillingdon E123 Race next week 😱

crosshair

And first points for Curto?? 🤞🏻🤞🏻

curto80

Great write up as always Crosshair.

At the back in the little boys race again for me. Was coming from the office in Bristol rather than home in Winchester so got lucky avoiding the traffic.

Not much to report. Some absolute beast rode away on his own after lap 1. I tried to go after him off the front but he was much stronger than me and I needed a couple of extra wheels to make it work. No-one could be bothered to go with me so I gave up and let myself get swallowed back up. He was clearly racing beneath himself so hopefully he’ll move up next time. Absolutely awesome riding in those conditions to do the whole thing solo and just keep building the gap.

then 10 laps of fannying around as usual, lots of sprints and then coasting. Most interesting thing that happened was the cat and mouse confusion caused by bits of the other races lapping us and then us overtaking them again which went on for a while.

didnt have a great position for the final sprint but managed to sort that out going into the chicane and sprint past a dozen or so bikes. Fairly sure I got 8th on the line and my first Cat4 points in my 3rd race which for me will do very nicely.

i love coming off that track, lungs burning, legs weak, chest pounding. Such a good feeling.

curto80

I hadn’t seen your post above when I wrote mine mate, ha ha!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Great work Curto 🙂

steve_b77

Mini-Me was in action again last night down at Marsh Tracs in their summer series, racing in the combine U10’s & U8’s and in a bigger field than last time he went really well, the top 3 were well over half a lap up with 3 laps to go and he pulled it back to the lad in 3rd, a bit of cat & mouse (I’m surprised he’s developed tactics / nous like this already) on the last lap and then he narrowly lost the sprint for 3rd in the U8’s.

crosshair

Awesome!! That’s great stuff.

crosshair

Seemed the weather scuppered the entries at a lot of races this Tuesday. I’m on a recovery week and had a tummy bug anyhow so no racing here.

A few of us are hoping to head to Hillingdon at 5pm Sunday for a play if anyone wants to join us? @TiRed ?? @Weeksy ??

@MrBlobby may even bring his TT rig for some Testing.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

No thanks matey, i’m without an appropriate machine. 🙂

crosshair

We’ve got several thousand spare bikes between us 🤣🤣

crosshair

I see you’ve entered Winchester Curto! Should be a good race!! Look forward to the write up on that one.

You fancy Hillingdon for practice on Sunday evening??

TiRed

Sadly I’m at the ToC in the 50-55 race group so will not be back in time. And yes weeksy, I have enough road bikes for a team.

Having acquired the prerequisite 25 points surprisingly early (like six months earlier than I expected), I’m upping the TT game and learning how to suffer for 50’s and 100’s. I don’t consider 12 hours as suffering – see Guardian thread.

Still racing E12 and vets of course. May enter a few RRs for Surrey League later in the season for mileage.

Sunday evenings are normally good fun at Hillingdon – watch out for the deer 😯

nathb

@TiRed How punctual are the skiing club from leaving the circuit at 5pm? (they have it booked all afternoon until then).

I’ve got lots of deer experience from Richmond park 🙂

curto80

First city centre crit today at the Winchester 3/4 race. Gonna assume it was mainly 3rds on the basis of the brutalising I took. Lapped a couple of times even though I was red lining the entire 40 mins. Great fun racing through the twisty little streets of my home town though.

noticed at the end that my front brake was locked on which must have happened over one of the many bumps. Who knows how long i was riding like that, but it’s no excuse.

lots of work to do over the winter to come back and be competitive next year.

crosshair

Well done Curto 👍🏻 3/4’s are tough gigs.

I had a fun race on Tuesday at Hillingdon. Got in one move early on which fizzled out. Then later, after working pretty hard, bridged across to a solo guy and stayed out there for a couple of laps but we were put off from overtaking the E12 bunch who had slowed in front. So then we got caught.

It was a smaller field (back down to around 30) and I felt like I could get away any time I was fresh. Just needed some more organised break mates to stay away!

The Cat3 winner lapped us solo 😱💪🏻

Haze

This should probably go in the doldrums but season over for me.

Guy washes out in front of me in a 3/4 crit leaving me nowhere to go, except over the top and straight to A&E with a broken collar bone.

4 points from regaining my 2nd cat after losing it to chest infections last year.

Every cloud though, just been reunited with my bike (friend took it home with him) and only damage is a tear on the saddle (albeit only 3 rides old) and a scratched top cap.

On to next season…🤷‍♂️

crosshair

@Haze 👎🏻👎🏻 Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal quickly 🤕

Haze

Cheers CH, best of luck for your season…

crosshair

Speedy Cat 3 at the Don tonight!

A slightly bigger field again meant every attack was chased down and countered before being chased down once more. Treating it as a full blown training race, I worked hard to get to the front when I slipped back and had few short attacks too. Sadly, the 28mph needed to get a gap just isn’t sustainable for very long 😢

I think 1329w is a race pb which was when I tried to snap off of the front onto a move.

My legs felt awesome but the grass pollen is still bad and I forgot to use my blue inhaler so the lungs were a bit tight by the end. 334NP for the race gave me a good workout though 🤣

Sounds like a cop out to refer to them as training races I know but I’m hoping to have a better chance in the 2/3 Thruxton races when they resume in August so need to keep the punishment coming!!

I slipped right back after a couple of attacks and then nearly got dropped 🤣🤣 I was seriously regretting lighting the blue touch paper that’s for sure!!

crosshair

Well that’s changed the dynamic slightly! Thruxton have announced that their last four rounds will be an E,1,2 race, a Cat 3 only race and a Cat 4 race.

Whilst I’m glad they didn’t go the 3/4 route, I’m a bit sorry not to be enjoying the 2/3 race again. I imagine it will be nowhere near as aggressive as it was previously.

Haze

Thought E123 would work just as well as E12, would possibly only attract the better (safer!) 3rd cat riders with the others opting for the 3rd only race.

Guess it comes down to expected numbers though..

crosshair

Yeah, they’ve been struggling for entries and loads of E,1 riders have been bemoaning the loss of a race for them on FB.

They did a poll between the original option (2,3/4/womens) and this and this won 🤷🏻‍♂️

Can’t please all of the people I guess. I’ll still go of course 😀

crosshair

Brutal windy race at the Don today. Attacked several times and nothing worked so tried bridging to a three up move which lasted a bit longer.

In doing so, I crested the hill at 33mph and as I tipped into the left hander, the wind nearly wiped me out!! Should have put the old wheels on.

Anyway, a couple of laps later, I ended up the wrong side of a split and had to work to weld it back together. For a couple of laps after that, when the counter attacks went, I was very close to getting dropped. Somehow, I hung in there and had a bit of a sprinters resurrection. Coming up the hill in a great position, (4th wheel or so of the remaining bunch with two up the road) I suddenly had a flashback to the wind hitting my wheels earlier and was convinced we were going to crash! A moments hesitation as I readied myself for the wind to strike was all it took to lose 5-6 wheels in a flash. Through Brian’s, I ended up with guys inside and out and things got very tight indeed so I backed off further and watched a great set-up fizzle out to nothing.

But I can’t be disappointed though- it was fantastic race in nearly every way!!

crosshair

Great pic from Cliff Hughes of the break I bridged over to.

Haze

That’s not you on the tops is it?

crosshair

Of course 🤣🤣 I hate the drops so rarely use them anyhow…

Haze

All those free watts going to waste!

crosshair

To be fair I was coasting in to the train at about 150w at that point after doing 30mph for half a lap to catch so needed to fill the lungs.

Aero position in the hoods (ie not like that ^^ 🤣) is as efficient as the drops anyway…..

But it’s definitely a limiter and something I’ve improved a lot this season. My ftp is little changed but my speed is still going up all the time.

Haze

Early in the season it takes time for me to get the habit of staying in the drops, but after a few crits it starts feeling weird being sat up when the pace eases for a bit.

But yeah I also find I can go quite well crouched over the hoods, back in the drops though when I’m a few wheels back and covering the brakes.

crosshair

That’s one thing I’m pretty good at now. I probably dragged the brakes 3 times all race to scrub off speed on the downslope as my mass was careering me towards the skinny’s 🤣 At 88-90kg still, my momentum is precious!!

TiRed

Get the drops in the right place, and I can spend almost an entire race on them. CH, you want them a little higher. It’s an averages game. At the moment they are too low and far away to be any use. Get them nearer and higher and you’ll be a cm or two lower on average. That will be about 1-2 seconds a lap at Hillingdon or 4-8 Watts for you.

Testing is not just the preserve of testers 😉

I’m errrrr recovering today and tomorrow. Vets race on Wednesday. I’ll be hanging I suspect!

crosshair

I don’t think it’s a huge issue in the draft… and when I’m in the wind, I do occasionally bend my elbows now 🤣

Only time I use the drops are for fast descents on the road and when sprinting.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 282 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.