Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 2017 A4 Allroad 3.0 V6 TDi
  • eyestwice
    Free Member

Anyone got one?

Have a labrador and a boxer, both quite small for their breed. And obviously I own some bikes as well.

We camp a lot. Currently have a Navara which is great for the Peak District. But as a company car it’s far worse value than a PCP. Bikes fit on the bed but only if I take the front wheels off. I’ve got a towball mount rack too which tilts – but it’s no good with a pickup as it means I can’t open the tailgate.

So a PCP on an Allroad is tempting. Any opinions welcome. Off-roading is pretty limited to muddy fields and verges if I’m sensible. Oh – and snow, of which we get a fair amount in winter.

somouk
    Free Member

The A4 isn’t as big as you would expect so be very careful about that aspect.

From a car perspective the 3.0 TDi is a great engine and especially when mated with the 7 speed DSG. I have one in my A6 and see up to 60 MPG on a run and average 45 round town, it will cruise all day on the motorway without any issues and has plenty of poke when needed even if the car is full of stuff.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have one in my A6 and see up to 60 MPG on a run

Never, not once, did I ever get >50mpg out of my (2013 – current model, not the old style) A6 3.0TDi with DSG. And I *HATED* the gearb… ox.

Glad to see the back of it, nasty car, worse g… earbox.

Much preferring my new 2.4 diesel XC60 with manual box.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is it a company vehicle ?

If so a 3.0 diesel will be silly expensive!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I had an A6 2.7 TDI Quattro which was a great motorway car and brilliant in the snow, the 3 was the newer much improved motor so I can only assume it’s a great engine. If you have stuff to move around and have the space for parking then I would look at an A6 Quattro rather than an A4 or an allroad. When I got mine (it was 10 years ago mind) the A6 was cheaper for a better spec.

Mine was a Tiptronic Auto I think, suited the car brilliantly

andy8442
    Free Member

The All road has an even smaller boot than the normal A4 avant, something to do with the 4WD system. It’s a great car and engine, but….. well the dogs will be fine, but getting more than one bike in is a squeeze. The BIK will be a killer if its a company car, try for a smaller engine. It’s a great car, but not a big car.

somouk
    Free Member

If so a 3.0 diesel will be silly expensive!

Mine is only £30 a year road tax so not that expensive.

TheDTs
    Free Member

As said above BIK s the real cost of ownership for the employee, vat reclaim for the employer is also a bit different too vs a truck.
    Loads of BIK calculators online.

iainc

When I was looking, the all-road seemed a lot more dosh over the Quattro for not huge gains. I went for the larger A6 as needed the space, but just with the 2.0D Stronic. I really like it, suits our family needs very well.

charliew

Really not a fan of the Audi auto boxes. Put your foot down to take a space entering a round-a-bout and nothing happens for a good second or two… Which turns a reasonable if you get a move on space into a tight gap. Maybe you get used to it and drive round it but that sort of defeats the point!

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ thats what the paddles are for, you can even knock it down a gear with the gear stick which is what you would do in a manual.

seadog101

Test drove an Outback a while ago. Fantastic thing. 🙁 couldn’t afford it, but very happy with the XV we have now.

Just a thought as to something else to consider.

spooky_b329

How about a Transit Custom AWD Crew/double-cab-in-van? (as you are already coming from a commercial)

By all accounts, the AWD system is pretty respectable unlike some of the faux soft-roaders that can’t put enough torque through the part time system to actually make a difference.

Saw once recently with a few options thrown at it and it looked very nice. I spent some time looking into the larger ‘classic’ Transit with the same AWD but in the end it couldn’t match the size or towing capacity of a 2wd Iveco which was a disappointment.

Custom with the middle bulkhead and 5 seats with a walkthough would be insanely practical for bikes/dogs/camping, and its shorter than the Navara.

muzz
    Free Member

Get ready to blast cyclists away at dangerous speeds

johndoh
    Free Member

Really not a fan of the Audi auto boxes. Put your foot down to take a space entering a round-a-bout and nothing happens for a good second or two… Which turns a reasonable if you get a move on space into a tight gap.

This, so much this.

thats what the paddles are for, you can even knock it down a gear with the gear stick which is what you would do in a manual.

Which, even if it worked well, kinda defeats the point of an auto box.

Hateful things – although they have remapped them so newer ones aren’t a s la… ggy (mine was a 63 plate, had a 66 as a courtesy vehicle last year and it was much better.

iainc

^^^^ I read all these horror stories, however mine in a 17 plate, now 6 months old, and I haven’t experienced any lag at all. 2.0tdi Quattro S Tronic.

I have only used the paddles to see what they did, twice I think, same with the manual side of the shift lever. Have used Sport mode a few times – it is more fun but eats the diesel.

yosemitepaul

I’ve got an A4 3.0l Allroad. Had it a year from new, absolutely no problem with it. Lovely smooth engine, fantastic gearbox.
    I used to have an A6 Allroad, which was huge, and we do now notice the difference in load carrying capacity.
    Having said that the A4 feels faster in acceleration, probably because its a lighter vehicle.
    A great car for munching the long distance miles. I can get 50mpg out of it…….but not very often, you have to drive it very very carefully! More normally I get low 40’s.
    My only complaint……….and it’s a ridiculous one really, but ours came with a sunroof. This lowers the roof height by an inch or so and I keep banging my head!

oldbloke
    Free Member

A4 is almost as big on the outside as a Passat (2 inches in it) but has much less space inside. Passat Allroad / Superb 4×4 will give you more space.

If you don’t need the ground clearance but still want 4WD and power, the BiTDI covers that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Put your foot down to take a space entering a round-a-bout and nothing happens for a good second or two

We’ve done this before to death I think 🙂 Unless Audi specially de-tuned them, you just hadn’t adapted. See the gap coming, anticipate the kick-down and just press slightly earlier.

DSGs are brilliant.

johndoh
    Free Member

We’ve done this before to death I think

We have. And I didn’t agree with you then and continue not to agree with you now. The one I had in my A6 3.0tdi Quattro (63 plate) was shocking. I have driven other autos (before and since) including the DSG (in an A5 and a Leon FR) and I have never experienced lag like I had in my car – I urge you to try test driving one to see for yourself.

jimw
    Free Member

DSG’s are not to my taste at all. Driven loads of cars with them, always come away underwhelmed. The last was a 2017 model Audi S3 saloon, the salesman was surprised I didn’t like DSG ( it was their only demo so had to take it out) and after a long test drive said ‘surely you are now convinced’ and he was surprised when I said no.
    I had one of the last A4 3.0l Tdi quattros that was available with a manual gearbox ( 2009). I would have bought another but since they were by then DSG only, decided to buy something else.
    The Audi salesman at the time couldn’t believe I was going to buy a Skoda instead.
    “you’ll loose so much in depreciation’ he said. This was bearing in mind the Skoda was the same price at 6 months old as the money I had lost in depreciation on the Audi in 4 years. ‘I don’t think the Skoda will be worth nothing at four and half years old’ I said. And I was right. It had lost quite a bit less than half of the depreciation in actual monetary terms in the same period as I had lost on the Audi.

molgrips
    Free Member

Glad to hear the v6 is good for 60mpg though.

Manuals seem so jerky and rough now even when driven well.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve had a Superb estate SE L 4×4 (150)for just over a year now and not been left wanting for anything.

Absolutely cavenous, gets 49 mpg with trying that hard (had 55mpg fully loaded doing Leeds to Cornwall) and costs me around £220 VIA bik at 40% tax.

My company is starting to talk about hybrids/electric in the future but I’d get another at the drop of a hat if the time comes.

johndoh
    Free Member

Glad to hear the v6 is good for 60mpg though.

Mine wasn’t – never got over 50mpg out of it and I generally drive very sensibly and generally drive at 70 on motorways (to my wife’s frustration).

pictonroad

I Have averaged 57mpg in 4000 miles in my 2017 3cyl diesel Fabia so I may call in to question the veracity of a 3.0 v6 car that’s 500kg heavier getting 60mpg.

I barely use the throttle pedal and always drive for mpg.

jimw
    Free Member

I once had a measured ( brim to brim from the same pump) 48mpg from the A4 3.0Tdi. Once. It usually managed 36-40 mpg. On a long run the Superb 170tdi would regularly do 50 but averaged 44 in my time with it. Both Manuals, both 4wd.
    My current manual petrol 4wd car has averaged 34mpg but once hit 40.
    The latter is the nicest to drive of the three

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve got an A4 3.0l Allroad. Had it a year from new, absolutely no problem with it. Lovely smooth engine, fantastic gearbox.

OMFG an actual post drom an STWer with the car and an actual answer to the OP’s question. This will never catch on !

molgrips
    Free Member

I Have averaged 57mpg in 4000 miles in my 2017 3cyl diesel Fabia so I may call in to question the veracity of a 3.0 v6 car that’s 500kg heavier getting 60mpg.

He said 60mpg on a long motorway run – presumably your average includes slow speed driving too.

somouk
    Free Member

I also have a lot more torque than your car and the A6 saloon isn’t as heavy as you would think. Rolling along on the inside lane in 7th gear you would be surprised how capable it is.

I have a photo of the dash reading 71.5 MPG after a short 30 mile run up the M6 motorway but that’s not achievable on a regular basis so didn’t think I would mention it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I get 60-65mpg from my 2.0 on uninterrupted motorway runs, but on average only maybe 52mpg and I don’t do much town driving.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like Allroads, I looked at both A6 and the A4 and preferred the A4, I wasn’t looking at the big engined one mind because the small 2.0ltr diesel was more what I fancied.. and a manual too. I’ve got a DSG box on my toy and I’d agree that with the earlier versions you do have to anticipate exits from junctions and entry to roundabouts.. not a lot but it’s best just to either keep rolling very slowly or give a blip of the go peddle to spin up the clutches..

Nice car the A4 Allroad.

Aye, I like the brown one.. I almost bought one..

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘2017 A4 Allroad 3.0 V6 TDi’ is closed to new replies.