• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,841 through 3,880 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • ourmaninthenorth

Claims that the Chosen One has told team mates his rugby union career is over.

FTFY.

On the upside it does mean he gets to play for England in the 2017 world cup….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Chuckles*

OMITN, surprised it took so long for someone to bite! 🙂 If he wants to run off and play a minority sport instead, fair enough! 😉 It’s annoying more than anything, though. So much pressure put on the poor lad, and there’s no doubt he could have been a great rugby* player if he stuck at it.

*Can’t help myself! 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Sam training at bath today. Has he even made his mind up?

IdleJon

Haven’t been paying a lot of attention to the domestic game so far dear Lord the Ospreys are awful

They are. Terrible defence vs Glasgow and no clue on how to attack.

<Ref bashing> Fitzgibbon saw Baker make an illegal tackle, no arms, and decided to card him. When the TMO replay was shown it appeared that Baker HAD used his arms but the player was slightly too far away and the Glasgow player basically tripped over Baker’s fingertips. Nothing illegal at all, but Fitzgibbon being the arse of a ref that he is couldn’t back down and had to give a penalty against Baker. 🙄

ourmaninthenorth

Lolz @ CFH

You and I know full well that in the valleys there is soccer and there is football.

wrecker
    Free Member

Here you are CFH;

🙂

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well some countries are getting their sevens squads sorted for the Rio Olympics. I saw Habana and Allende (among others) added to the Blitzboks and Sonny-Bill, Liam Messam and Ardie Savaea are in the ABs squad.

Anyone know what GB are doing? I know England getting 4th in the world series qualified a GB side but will that side be English or British? Is it gonna be organised or will it be the usual cluster***k that happens everytime we get a new team sport at the olympics?

Kryton57

the usual cluster***k that happens everytime we get a new rugby team

Yup.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

slight tangent but I was channel hopping the other night and watched ‘Urban Rugby’ or whatever it was called with Ugo Monye and Marlon Yarde.

A really great idea, moving away from that ‘rugby is for posh kids’ idea (well in England anyway) and to borrow a football term for a moment some of those kids had ‘unbelievable tekkers’. It was also great how they spoke to the kids about behaviour in school, at home etc. and teaching them values.

Really heartwarming

DanW
    Free Member

^ Thanks for the heads up, I missed that. School of Hard Knocks is worth a watch too for a similar type of thing (with Will Greenwood and Scott Quinnell). There are full episodes on Youtube/ Rugbydump IIRC

loum
    Free Member

Rabbitohs resign Sam.
    Good luck to him.
    Good rugby player and good bloke.

Kryton57

Sauce?

If thats true its a slap in the face for all the Union people that put time in for him, and especially for Luther Burrell. He stole his place without merit then when he didn’t get the glory he felt he’d paid for he’s buggered off.

Lack of respect IMO, yeah good luck and hope he doesn’t bother coming back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On the Beeb now.

Can a revolving door slam?

mrhoppy

Sauce – BBC website

Edit – dammit 13 seconds

jambalaya
    Free Member

Excellent news as it will be a very very long time before a League player is rushed into Union and into the England setup again. So my incling that the story may have been a scurrilous one put about by the Aussie press was wrong.

@loum, agree with your sentiments with the one correction that he’s a very good League player and totally unproven in Union.

ElShalimo

At least you clowns are consistent. Damned the bloke while playing for England and now you’re damning him for going back to RL.
    Now that your oh-so convenient scapegoat has gone back to RL, who are you going to focus your vitriolic rage on? Will England rise like a phoenix from the rubbish RWC campaign now the bad man has gone. Grow up! (ninja edit)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@El, I’m not daming him for going back to League, that’s the best thing for England (Union). In fact I never criticised him for coming to give a Union a go that’s his right. What’s totally wrong was his selection for England or even Bath first XV

ElShalimo

@jambalaya – I wasn’t referring to your comments but to the committed anti-Burgess contributors on this thread. Opinions are fine but the hate is unneccesary.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not sure there’s much hate. Disappointment certainly. He could have been a great rugby player if he’d been given the chance to properly develop. He was railroaded in toothed game far too quickly. Who’s to blame for that?

Well, I suspect that he should shoulder a little bit of the blame himself, but it must be hard to say you’re not really ready!

Lancaster? Perhaps. Farrell? Likely.

It’s a shame to see him go. Whatever the devious machinations that got him there for a year.

nbt

I think it’s a real shame that he’s gone back to league, I can understand why he has done it, but I think he had the opportunity to prove himself a fine forward that’s now been lost. However as a league fan I am thrilled he’s back, his brother Tom was superb on Sunday against NZ and I am looking forward to this weekend’s match. Interestingly, Sam Tomkins withdrew from the England RL squad just before the series and was not replaced, so there is still the chance another unnamed player *cough* could be called into the squad…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Nobody hated SB. Most simply loathed the idiotic way that “Club England” dealt with the whole issue.

If he’d been left to mature at Bath and then picked on merit for England when ready it may have worked.

Being rushed into the RWC when clearly not worth his place and having proven to be incapable as a club centre with Bath having switched him to back row must have given Burgess the impression that English Rugby is totally amatuerish.

No wonder he’s gone back. Careers are short. Good luck to him.

PS
    Apparently the buy-out clause on the contract was substantially higher than the transfer fee Bath paid the Rabbitohs in the first place so Bruce Craig has made a few quid back.

Kryton57

Lancaster? Perhaps. Farrell? Likely.

And if it turns out to be true, his management for negotiating an RWC appearance into his cross code contract.

Personally as I said I think the fact that he hasn’t attempted to play on and learn the game to come back stronger is disrespectful to his teammates and the guy that lost his RWC place to him. It smacks of Mr Grumpy throwing his toys out the pram. Instead he could have worked through the winter and come back stronger to stake a claim in the 6N. Could this be about his ego wanting to be in the RLWC?

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

What a pile of tripe!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t blame Burgess for going back to somewhere he’s appreciated rather than stay somewhere where he’s getting a load of shit for something that’s not his fault. It would be a strange mentality to turn down playing for England if asked to. Shame for Bath because he could have become a mighty fine back row in time, and I agree a great shame for Burrell who should have been picked ahead of Burgess. But again, that’s no more Burgess’ fault than Burrell’s.

dragon
    Free Member

To be fair he is better off in RL. I can’t see the bloke wanting to learn the technicalities of bring in the forwards and he isn’t fast enough for the back line. England management should be embarrassed by the whole affair and deserved to be sacked (unless they were told to pick him of course). If Bath made money on the deal then well done them.

anagallis_arvensis

Carter et al took the world cup to Jerry Collins grave. Nice touch..

ourmaninthenorth

+1 nbt and namastebuzz

I would have liked Burgess to remain in English rugby for the remainder of this season, but some of the vitriol from the press, from too many English rugby union fans and within the rugby union establishment itself has called for a thicker skin than any sportsman need bear.

So he’s back at Souths with Tom and George. And he’ll play in the 2017 Rugby World Cup where England have a very good chance if success.

After 120 years it’s clear nothing has really changed in the English rugby union establishment attitude to the other code….

#blameburgess

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s a shame and indeed disappointing to see Sam go crawling back with his tail firmly between his legs. If anyone is to blame it’s the England management for promoting him into the English squad far too early.

Coyote
    Free Member

He could have been is a great rugby player

He is a world class RL player, one of the best. Don’t let your blinkered snobbery blind you to this fact.

Oh, and Sam didn’t deny Luther Burrell a place in the squad, the selectors did. There is no argument against Burrell being a much better choice.

Sam go crawling back with his tail firmly between his legs

I don’t think so some how.

Kryton57

I’m not sure where you’ve got the ammo to suspect every fan blames only Burgess. We’re all aware of the rest of the shambles, his management is just part of the issue.

Coyote, we don’t know but there are rumours of Lancasters hand being forced by Burgess contractual agreement. Should that be true it’s a massive travesty. On the one hand why would a player ask for that, it doesn’t display respect for your peers. On the other hand if it’s the RFU / management that made the decision then shame on them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Coyote bites! Excellent. 🙂

Anyway,

Sam didn’t deny Luther Burrell a place in the squad, the selectors did. There is no argument against Burrell being a much better choice.

Agreed. And, I think Farrell may well have been the chief and/or “bossiest” selector in that situation.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perfectly understandable decision

ElShalimo

wrecker – Member
    It’s a shame and indeed disappointing to see Sam go crawling back with his tail firmly between his legs.

you’re being a dick and I’m sure you know that. Go and have a word with yourself.

wrecker
    Free Member

Up yours ****head

Kryton57

Now now girls…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Steady on lads… 🙂

Anyway…bit of a sorry saga. Good luck to Burgess. Not quite as mouldable as the plastic allegiances of some fans.

I do think quite a few wanted the whole Burgess thing to fail, to be honest. There are even a few contributors to this thread who plainly wanted to see it fail – they never bloody shut up about him.

onehundredthidiot

Anyway, yes, nice touch to go to jc’s grave with the cup. Sign, surely, that he was a good bloke.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

nice touch to go to jc’s grave with the cup. Sign, surely, that he was a good bloke.

Barnstaple RFC 2nd XV.

That’s all you need to know.

Kryton57

There are even a few contributors to this thread who plainly wanted to see it fail – they never bloody shut up about him.

Sorry about that, but he became – along with Robshaw who also is a very good player and thoroughly decent bloke – a talisman of the Lancastrian era. The centres had been an issue for years, and what bigger player or stage could you choose to highlight that – is the problem.

I’ll **** off now. 🙂

ElShalimo

I’m not 100% sure about Robshaw, he has an annoying tendency to moan and question most of the ref’s decisions. It could be his competitive spirit but can also be viewed as petulance. I suppose it’s a fine line.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,841 through 3,880 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.