• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • IdleJon

Ryan Jones bows out, great player

Feels like only a year or two since he first appeared on the scene. I still remember how enthusiastic he always seemed in the early days, how he grinned every time he was interviewed on that first Lions tour. Great player.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good ambassador for the game as well. That smiling manner and intelligent comments when interviewed was always a good thing.

anagallis_arvensis

150 Ospreys appearances and 20 tries (2004-2014)
    Ospreys captain 2007-2010
    4 Celtic League titles and one EDF Energy Cup
    9th on the all-time Ospreys try scorers list – five more tries than any other forward.
    75 Wales caps (33 as captain), 2 tries.
    4 Six Nations titles, 3 Grand Slams
    3 B&I Lions caps (05 tour).

More grand slams than Ireland, same number as Scotland!Shame he never got to beat NZ

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fYIUdVNFgU[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

I think that this has been rumoured around bristol for a while. He had struggled to keep up in training since he arrived, and only made 9 appearances. By all accounts he was awesome to have around and made the whole teams approach more professional, so his contribution went further than “just” being a player.

anagallis_arvensis

I hope he goes int coaching rather than being another tv rent a gob.

anagallis_arvensis

Le XV de départ: Spedding ; Huget, Bastareaud, Fofana, Nakaitaci ; (o) Michalak, (m) Tillous-Borde ; Le Roux, Picamoles, Chouly ; Maestri, Papé (cap) ; Slimani, Guirado, Ben Arous.

Les remplaçants: Kayser, Debaty, Atonio, Flanquart, Nyanga, Kockott, Tales, Fickou.

Michila k? wtf

wrecker
    Free Member

I hope he goes int coaching rather than being another tv rent a gob.

Well he comes across as a balanced and intelligent bloke, so TV wouldn’t be interested in him!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d heard rumblings too. Great player and top bloke.

Shame he never got to beat NZ

Or South Africa. Think he might have managed one or two against Australia?

IdleJon

I always get a bit frustrated when the I see that Welsh face-off against NZ. (Or any other Haka confrontation – who was it who walked up to the Kiwis until they were nose to nose?) Simply because the team then goes on to lose the game, the important bit. Great, we’ve beaten the Haka. Boo, we lost the game. 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

Great, we’ve beaten the Haka. Boo, we lost the game

Correct. But there’s the principle of the thing, the psychology of announcing that you’re not prepared to roll aside because one team has the “right” to lay down a challenge before the game begins.

I mean, after the Irish and French face-downs the Kiwis now have an enforced exclusion zone! So, before the whistle even goes the ABs have been gifted a psychological advantage. Fair play to any team that chooses not to be defeated before the ref even blows for kick off.

And that game is also remembered for the fact that the Welsh came out all guns blazing during the first half. So it must have done them some good.

wrecker
    Free Member

Or any other Haka confrontation – who was it who walked up to the Kiwis until they were nose to nose

Richard Cockerill did it.

Willie anderson too;

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter what the green machine does before the Haka, they still go on to lose, even with a 49 point first half lead. 😀

IdleJon

deadlydarcy, they SOOOO won that game. (Unless you looked at the scoreboard!) I was devastated and most of the time I don’t even like the Irish rugby team. 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

I think teams should just ignore the Haka but if you do the Kiwis get all precious about it and call it disrespectful. It is my only criticism of them really.

IdleJon

Fair play to any team that chooses not to be defeated before the ref even blows for kick off.

I’d suggest that giving a dance more importance than it really merits is self defeating. Stand there and watch it and ignore it. Think about what you will be doing for the next 80-90 minutes. Maybe even work out how many calories the All Blacks are wasting throwing their shapes. If the ABs want to tell the world how great it is, fine, but really it’s decoration.

Back when we rarely saw NZ over here it was great to see the haka. It was so different it was worth watching. These days, I see it so often that I normally fast forward through it (and the anthems, one of my pet hates.) That must be the same for the players as well?

Although, part of me thinks that the amount of time the NZ players spend rehearsing must surely interfere with the rugby at some point, so let them worry more and more about exclusion zones, varying dances, etc.

Kryton57

It’s not even the original Haka the Kia Mata or some such pronounciation, which Brian Moore described as “no more than a Morris dance”.

Because of the exclusion they now change up the Haka to look / sound as threatening as possible for those same psychological reasons.

IdleJon

Just because I mentioned it earlier and it’s on my mind now…. 😀

What are peoples’ views on anthems?

Surely they should only be played if an actual royal member is present, otherwise they are completely unnecessary. Especially at a bleeding friendly!

Pigface
    Free Member

the english dont even have an anthem, they pinch the UK anthem 😆

runs away

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Oirish Haka = Boring the opposition with two anthems at home. (Before boring the neutrals with a kicking game.)

bloodynora
    Free Member

Responses to the haka
    wales – hide behind a load of sandbags singing men of harlech
    england – 2 options… hokey kokey or a morris dance (dress and sticks optional)
    ireland – riverdance (michael flatley if hes available although preferably willie anderson)
    scotland – run at them shouting loudly with blue and white painted faces
    france – throw onions at them (garlic if no onions available)
    Apologies if any stereotypes have been left out
    😉

IdleJon

Italy? Oh that’s too obvious… 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Stand there and watch it and ignore it.

I suspect thats easier said than done!
    The best haka response for Wales was the fat bloke leading the crowd singing Bread of Heaven. The All Blacks got so upset at not being followed by kick off they did the Haka “in the shed” the year after. **** em I say our stadium you can do it our way or not at all…..stjll I would rather we beat them just once in my life!

anagallis_arvensis

Surely they should only be played if an actual royal member is present,

You do realise not every country has or wants a royal family dont you? Or indeed that not all national anthems are about British royalty?

wrecker
    Free Member

france – throw onions at them (garlic if no onions available)

Or run away 😉

IdleJon

I suspect thats easier said than done!

I have a feeling you’re right.

You do realise not every country has or wants a royal family dont you? Or indeed that not all national anthems are about British royalty?

Well exactly, so why ape the Victorian imperialists?

😉

BruceWee

I’d love to see a team walking up to the Kiwis while they’re doing their dance, walk straight past them, and line up behind them. It’d be fun watching the them trying to figure out whether to turn round or keep facing an empty field.

wrecker
    Free Member

Just read Steve James piece (and comments) and he says that based on what he’s seen and heard that the England centres going for sure are Barrit, Joseph and Burgess. The other spot is up for grabs.

anagallis_arvensis

31-Man Wallabies Squad for Rugby World Cup 2015

Wallabies Forwards:

Hookers
    Stephen Moore – C (96 Tests)
    Tatafu Polota-Nau (53 Tests)

Props
    Greg Holmes (17 Tests)
    Sekope Kepu (56 Tests)
    Scott Sio (9 Tests)*
    James Slipper (66 Tests)
    Toby Smith (uncapped)*

Locks
    Kane Douglas (15 Tests)*
    Dean Mumm (36 Tests)
    Rob Simmons (52 Tests)
    Will Skelton (11 Tests)*

Backrow forwards
    Scott Fardy (24 Tests)*
    Michael Hooper – VC (45 Tests)*
    Ben McCalman (40 Tests)
    Sean McMahon (3 Tests)*
    Wycliff Palu (55 Tests)
    David Pocock (50 Tests)

Wallabies Backs:

Scrumhalves
    Will Genia (59 Tests)
    Nick Phipps (31 Tests)

Flyhalves
    Quade Cooper (55 Tests)
    Bernard Foley (17 Tests)*

Inside backs
    Kurtley Beale (52 Tests)
    Matt Giteau (95 Tests)
    Matt Toomua (25 Tests)*

Outside backs
    Adam Ashley-Cooper – VC (108 Tests)
    Israel Folau (33 Tests)*
    Rob Horne (26 Tests)
    Drew Mitchell (65 Tests)
    Henry Speight (3 Tests)*
    Joe Tomane (15 Tests)*
    Tevita Kuridrani (24 Tests)*

*Uncapped at a Rugby World Cup

Tom-B
    Free Member

No Nick Cummins for the aussies 🙁

When you compare the amount of caps in that Aussie squad (and of others such as NZ, etc) England look pretty fresh! I still think that we’re a very good, potentially WC challenging squad, but this world cup has come 2 years too early for us. Shame, but given that we’re contemplating taking a bloke that’s only just started playing the game (and no one seems sure what position to play him) and banging him in the centres…..it hardly suggests a sorted team.

Can’t wait for it to start now though 🙂

IdleJon

but this world cup has come 2 years too early for us.

Or the preparation started too late?

wrecker
    Free Member

Or the preparation started too late?

Or lancaster hasn’t given players opportunities early enough? We have been cycling the same 3-odd centres for the past few years when there’s been an obvious issue there. JJ only got a shot because Manu was injured and it’s still possible that Slade won’t be selected and 12T will!
    The inclusion of Corbs is a good demonstration of this. So far as I can tell, he played a single AP game last season. Why isn’t Dave Ewers in there? Two huge seasons at Chiefs, plays 8 and 6 (where we are lacking).

duckman

Good point Ewers has been fantastic whenever I have seen him, in fact he reminds me a wee bit of SoB.

charliemort

re: Haka – best responses:

– David Campese not even watching and kicking ball around behind dead ball line
    – Fench forming arrow formation and advancing behind Dusatoir in last wc final

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Great result today, just received an email telling me that I’ve been accredited to work at the World Cup so I’ll definitely be getting to see one or two matches 8)

Happy days!

anagallis_arvensis

Fiji 31-man squad:

Backs: Nemia Kenatale (Farul Constanta), Nikola Matawalu (Bath), Henry Seniloli (Treviso), Levani Botia (La Rochelle), Gabiriele Lovobalavu (Bayonne), Joshua Matavesi (Ospreys), Ben Volavola (Waratahs), Vereniki Goneva (Leicester), Kini Murimurivalu (La Rochelle), Nemani Nadolo (Crusaders), Waisea Nayacalevu (Stade Francais), Metuisela Talebula (Bordeaux), Asaeli Tikoirotuma (Harlequins).

Forwards: Lee Roy Atalifo (Suva), Isei Colati (Nevers), Campese Ma’afu (Pays D’Aix), Peni Ravai (Nadroga), Manasa Saulo (Timisoara), Sunia Koto (Narbonne), Tuapati Talemaitoga (Pays D’Aix), Viliame Veikoso (Doncaster), Tevita Cavubati (Ospreys), Leone Nakarawa (Glasgow Warriors), Api Ratuniyarawa (Agen), Nemia Soqeta (Biarritz), Sakiusa Masi Matadigo (Lyon), Akapusi Qera (capt, Montpellier), Malakai Ravulo (Farul Constanta), Netani Talei (Harlequins), Dom Waqaniburotu (Brive), Peceli Yato (Clermont).

anagallis_arvensis

.1.7 Compliance with Law 3.5
    Compliance with the relevant World Rugby Laws and Regulations is critical in the conduct of the Tournament. Should Teams be found to be in breach of Law 3.5 (suitably trained and experienced players in the front row), the matter will be forwarded to the Tournament Disputes Committee for consideration.

In the absence of any mitigating circumstances this will result in:

* forfeiture of all Match points for that fixture (including bonus points)
    * possible financial penalties

In terms of the provision of front row players to comply with Law 3.5, the necessary number of reserve front row players must be included in the Tournament Team to cover last minute injuries to front row players selected in the Match Team within the 48 hour replacement timeframe set out in Section 4.5 on page

So if an aussie hooker breaksdown during the match warm up, theg are ****?

loum
    Free Member

The way that’s worded , it looks like it would be be the same for any squad without 6 props, or at least one who can cover both sides.

Looks like there’ll be more than one team playing the system

anagallis_arvensis

You could put a loosehead on the bench to cover tight I presume

namastebuzz
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Or lancaster hasn’t given players opportunities early enough? We have been cycling the same 3-odd centres for the past few years when there’s been an obvious issue there. JJ only got a shot because Manu was injured and it’s still possible that Slade won’t be selected and 12T will!

JJ only got a shot because Tuilagi AND Barritt were injured. Ford likewise due to Farrell’s injury/lack of rugby.

Sl’s had nearly 4 yrs to settle on a team but his poor selection abilities have ruined that opportunity.

IdleJon

Sl’s had nearly 4 yrs to settle on a team but his poor selection abilities have ruined that opportunity.

Is his aim to win this world cup, though? Genuine question, as in, is he aiming for a longer term with a young team?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.