• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,441 through 4,480 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • Kryton57

We don’t know if Haskell is playing, let alone which position.

anagallis_arvensis

We dont but if he isnt 7 then its Robshaw isnt it?

wrecker
    Free Member

No necessarily. Clifford is a very capable 7, better than the hask(tm) and Robshaw. Haskell will be starting for sure.

Kryton57

Why does everyone think Haskell will start? Is it a case of start with th experience and defence, then bring Clifford on when the occasion has died down a bit?

wrecker
    Free Member

I just don’t think he’ll start Clifford (no caps) vs scotland at murrayfield

duckman

We will be playing two 7’s in Hardie and Cowan/Barclay,excellent chance for Clifford to learn the ropes there.

anagallis_arvensis

Fair enough. I have no idea who Clifford is. As for Scotland I have no idea why Barclay doesnt play. Cowan has always looked a bit shit to me.

Who is the other captain on thecwelsh bench. I presume its Owens but could recall the game. Must have been one of those Friday night Autumn games?

IdleJon

wrecker –
    Is this the same Ford who was replaced by Priestland in the Bath game last week? Godod luck.

Erm….it was the same ford who was not released back to his club by England.

For the Euro Cup, wrecker. I know it’s been more than three sleeps now. 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I just bet a guy at work £10 that Scotland would win against England by at least 5 points. So ‘mon the Kiwis With Scottish Grannies !

(p.s be very afraid, pretty much every Kiwi on the south island has a Scottish granny somewhere)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

with Scotland being favourites, I hope you still got decent odds…

I wish that the SRU would dispense with a lot of the pre-match bllx – the big Gray brothers can do their stuff on the pitch without all the “marketing guff” that has invaded rugby in the last few years

loum
    Free Member

Scotland XV to face England: Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland, Mark Bennett, Matt Scott, Tommy Seymour, Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw (capt), Al Dickinson, Ross Ford, WP Nel, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, John Barclay, John Hardie, Dave Denton.

bbc

duckman

Thats a strong team,Taylor has been flying for Sarries and isn’t starting. I am suprised Denton is starting in front of Strauss,but hey-ho. Weakest link in there is Dickinson,he has a gearbox failure that means he can only reverse.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

every Kiwi on the south island has a Scottish granny somewhere

In the basement for when the sheep is too tired?

anagallis_arvensis

Is Kryton on suicide watch after Farrel put at 12 and The Hask at 7?

duckman

Haskall is a big unit but I can’t see how he is fast enough around the park.Can’t work out why Clifford isn’t being played. Not that I am complaining of course…(Well I would rather Burgess was still in and Marler,but I didn’t get to pick the side)

wrecker
    Free Member

For the Euro Cup, wrecker. I know it’s been more than three sleeps now.

You said last week? Bath played sarries last week, and ford wasn’t available. Priestland has not started ahead of Ford. He’s played 370 odd minutes across 8 games the whole season, and most of those were off the bench and not at fly half. To say he is being selected ahead of Ford is just incorrect, however a very relevant fact is that the sarries game was one of Baths best performances this season, and priestland was a fly half, so there is an argument to say that perhaps he should be starting…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

From @thepaulwilliams on the twit;

Eddie Jones names 3 vice captains.

Not sure why you’d do that unless you were worried about your captain being sent o……

Ah, I see.

tinybits
    Free Member

Very good!

Pretty much exactly the team I expected sadly there just isn’t the wonder player game changers that were being overlooked before.
    I suspect a different style of play however, just not sure what! Very interested to see if with the same props and supposedly a weaker scrummager in Hartley (as in push, not hook) against a decent Scottish scrum, weather the fair better. I guess they will.

DaRC_L

Pretty much exactly the team I expected gladly Jones isn’t persuaded by the press over-hype and is taking a sensible approach to developing players

there just isn’t the wonder player game changers that were being overlooked before

There is no silver bullet, even for the Were-Rabbit.
    Obvs’ I think Kvesic and Morgan should be in the team but then again Glaws are playing Bath tomorrow…

wrecker
    Free Member

Hartley is twice the scrummager that Youngs is.
    There won’t be anything special about England for this entire 6 nations.
    Without making excuses, EJ has had 2 weeks with the players and he was limited in how much he could change the squad anyway. If I were him, I wouldn’t be trying to change too much, there just isn’t the time. So a few tweaks is the best we can hope for. I expect losses to wales and ireland, perhaps scotland. It’s no biggie.

anagallis_arvensis

supposedly a weaker scrummager in Hartley

Set piece is Hartleys strength.

Wrecker you have Wales at Twickers, should expect to win that. Where have you got ireland?
    Tuilagi if ever fit would make a massive difference.

IdleJon

wrecker – Member

For the Euro Cup, wrecker. I know it’s been more than three sleeps now.

You said last week? Bath played sarries last week, and ford wasn’t available. Priestland has not started ahead of Ford. He’s played 370 odd minutes across 8 games the whole season, and most of those were off the bench and not at fly half. To say he is being selected ahead of Ford is just incorrect, however a very relevant fact is that the sarries game was one of Baths best performances this season, and priestland was a fly half, so there is an argument to say that perhaps he should be starting…..

Umm, ok, I made a throw-away comment, didn’t expect an argument, especially over time-frames.

The Euro Cup game against Toulon was, what, 10 days ago, so maybe I should have been more specific.

My throwaway comment, which again should maybe have been a little more explicit, was based on the fact that I think Priestland is a pretty dreadful OH*. I thought it was funny that Ford was playing so, so badly that Bath thought it necessary to replace him with Priestland. I’m sure Ford will play better for England. Sorry to be so cryptic.

*Yes Priestland can occasionally play well, but he’s not good enough for Wales IMO, far too nervous, far too inconsistent and he is selected purely because of internal Welsh politics.

Kryton57

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Is Kryton on suicide watch after Farrel put at 12 and The Hask at 7?

wrecker
    Free Member

I wasn’t arguing with you idlejon. You thought that Bath had selected Priestland ahead of ford, and that was well, wrong. Ford started vs Toulon and priestland came on in the 76th minute for Agulla. Ford remained on the pitch. Like I said, no argument, just pointing out that Priestland has not been unseating ford for bath. Ford has mainly remained at 10 when Priestland has come on (who then played in the centre or wherever).

IdleJon

Cool. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lord Eddie J is now saying that they have a

Rather enjoyed Probyn’s dig here, though!

anagallis_arvensis

Owen Farrel was all over the place in defence at 12 v wales in the world cup.

Kryton57

They’ve misquoted EJ there. He actually said – I watched the video – “Owen Farrell has all the attributes to be an international 12” Maybe he sees him as Giteau Jnr. It’d be interesting to see Tuilagi/Devoto outside him/Slade in the next few years.

Owen Farrel was all over the place in defence at 12 v wales in the world cup

Lets see/hope if Dad’s argument with Mike Catt influenced that and this time around its a different story.

Probyn’s being a bit of a tit there, Robshaw isn’t trying to imitate Pocock or Hooper. Not this year anyway.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Owen Farrell has all the attributes to be an international 12”

Such as his epic handling and finishing skillz?

🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Owen Farrell has all the attributes to be an international 12″ Maybe he sees him as Giteau Jnr

wrecker
    Free Member

Rather enjoyed Probyn’s dig here, though!

Nice to have former players slagging the team eh?
    What a class act…..

Kryton57

You need to read the words more literally. For example I had all the attributes to be an international 13 once, except I also wasn’t quite good enough 😀

duckman

So straight to embra tonight for meet up with friends/old team mates.Went to the cash machine for beer/curry tokens,as I put the money in my wallet,I realised I better get some more out “just in case”
    Be still my beating liver.Supposed to be playing against an Edinburgh vets team tomorrow at 10.30..Aye; so I will.

mindmap3
    Free Member

England don’t have great players, but I don’t see what is supposed to be done differently.
    Haskel is a great big lump who should (by shear physicality) do better than he does but he’s not a 7. We don’t have any 7’s

We do have a seven who is not too bad – Kvesic. He did well when England toured Argentina and from what I have seen this season is in pretty good form. Haskell seems to be in pretty good form since the WC, but a seven he isn’t. My main issue with him is that he’ll give you one great game and then do naff all (see last 6N – great against Wales, poo for the rest of the games).

I think Clifford is destined to be a sub because he covers all three back positions – he’s not a natural seven either. His own team mate (Easter) has said that he’s a six / eight, not a seven.

Ford worries me because his form has been dire since the WC; Bath can’t buy a win and he is trying way too hard. I’m not a Farrell fan, but he should be playing 10. Who will kick? I hope it’s Farrell.

Lawes is a lucky boy to be in the squad on his current form – Itoje should have been on the bench based on form, but I guess I can understand why Eddie isn’t chucking in too many youngsters. There are a lot of ‘fans and pundits unhappy we have a foreign coach so can’t wait for him to fail.

Scotland will fancy themselves – they’re at home, with a settled squad coming off an OK WC.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ireland team. SOB out as well

15. Simon Zebo (Cork Con/Munster) 21
    14. Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) 58
    13. Jared Payne (Ulster) 10
    12. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht) 15
    11. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 46
    10. Jonathan Sexton (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 56
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 42

1. Jack McGrath (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 25
    2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 89 Captain
    3. Nathan White (Connacht) 8
    4. Mike McCarthy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 17
    5. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 31
    6. CJ Stander (Munster)*
    7. Tommy O’Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 9
    8. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) 80 Vice-Captain

Replacements
    16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 48
    17. James Cronin (Dolphin/Munster) 2
    18. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 3
    19. Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster) 34
    20. Rhys Ruddock (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 6
    21. Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 4
    22. Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster) 25
    23. David Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster) 14

Wales back row will have a field day

anagallis_arvensis

You would imagine Wales are a bit stronger up front so expect Ireland to kick tovthe corners and maul us to death!!! Wales are always shit first time out. Our backs worry me if Tom James is the answer then the question can only be who is slightly less of a donkey than Cuthbert!

DanW
    Free Member

How much rugby has James played? Hasn’t he been injured for a while (much the same as any Welsh back!)?

I agree with you on Ireland’s approach a_a. A lot depends on Sexton/ Murray having good days.

anagallis_arvensis

Tom James has played a lot this season I think had injury problems when at Exeter. He is Forrest Gump though fine when just running but if he has to time to think he’s screwed!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not watching live today so will check back on the bickering later!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I know the 6N is about to kick off and this is a different tack but I’ve been watching the World 7s the last few weeks and it’s been excellent.

Interesting how the top sides have been trying to integrate some XVs players like SBW, Savea, Speight and Cooper (though he’s not made the latest tournament) and they’re building for Rio.

Team GB? Nothing.

I’ve heard statements about “negotiations with the clubs over release” and “looking to integrate some fifteen a side players” and “some Welsh/Scottish players are under consideration” but there’s nothing concrete and, in case they haven’t noticed, IT’S FAR TOO LATE!

It looks like a cluster***k along the lines of team GB wendyball from London 2012.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,441 through 4,480 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM