Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)
  • 2014 Prudential Ride London
  • nedrapier

Good work hooli! Don’t forget it’ll be a lot quicker with people to draft, no traffic or traffic lights. I#’d guess that a 75 mile ride on your own with route finding, stopping for traffic, is going to feel the same as the 100 on the day. Anyone think that’s reasonable?

I’d be alright with the distance now, I reckon. Obviously more work would make it easier quicker, but I’d get round.

The thing that’s bugging me is a sharp shoulder pain after about three hours in the saddle. New bars have helped a bit, but it’s still a bit of a worry. Doesn’t make long rides quite so appealing. I’m seeing a woman about it tomorrow night, hopefully it’s caused by something that’s easily sorted. Fingers crossed!

Plan is to sort the shoulder, get fit enough for 100 miles of Dorset bridleways in May, then keep it topped up till August.

jam-bo

So how is the training and fundraising going?

errr, zero and zero…

hjghg5
    Free Member

Should find out if I have a place this week – I’m in one of the four teams my club has entered. Rode just over 100k yesterday on a club ride which included all four members of the team so I’m fairly happy that the distance will be fine and the group will work nicely together, so just need to keep my fingers crossed!

Nobby

Fundraising going ok, but then my employer is doubling anything I get 🙂

My main problem is a back/SI joint injury preventing me from doing any real riding. Flat stuff isn’t too painful but hills are the killer at the moment – I guess it should all be ok by August 😯

If anyone wants to donate to GOSH & have it doubled feel free…..

Edit: PS, anyone got a gpx/crs file from last year?

Nobby

Registration pack & rider numbers out today – guess it’s actually happening then 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Second distance road training ride on Sunday (weather permitting). Hoping for around 150k.

That ought to do it.

Nobby

I’m booked in for a 50 mile sportive – might go for 2 laps.

Kryton57

Successive 140k weekly club rides for me, with Wednesday night crits. With closed roads and a 5h.30 target watch out for a Jensie impersonator….

Not so sure about the 5:47 gathering time though :-/

It’d better not rain either.

alansd1980

Several people I know did this last year and have said take an hour off your previous best century time. Closed roads, a flat route and a limitless supply of wheels to suck mean this is a fast ride.

Went out Monday to check out the surrey hills section to discover the leith hill climb is closed. There is a tiny lane not too far away that can be used as an alternative. With closed roads this really should be an amazing ride. Planning to get out early one Sunday to check out the to to surrey hills/back to london loop to avoid any nasty surprises in the day.

hooli

Not long to go now, I have done a few 70 and 80 mile rides so hoping I make it.

I always knew it would be the case but the logistics are a pain in the ****. Need to be there Saturday to register and then need to leave home at about 3am to get to the start. I have looked at some hotels but I have left it late and don’t fancy £250 for the night, especially as local hotels don’t have parking and then I need to do something with luggage during the ride.

Should be a good day though, looking forward to it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A courier just walked in and said he didn’t have time to bother with all that online donation malarkey and peeled off £50 cash!

After my initial goldfish impersonation, I said thank you, but didn’t feel that was adequate, somehow…

Sui
    Free Member

hooli is there no-one that will collect for you? All they need is a copy of the registration signed, proof of ID and a letter from you to say its ok!

hooli

Sui – My sister offered as she lives in London but I wasn’t planning on seeing her to get it between between Saturday afternoon and 5am on Sunday. I need to ask around if anybody local is doing it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

How did I end up with two rider numbers?

julzm
    Free Member

I work for prudential and know loads of people that have done this last year cos they really promote I through the company and it’s a big deal. Apparently its a really fantastic event. The guy who is in all the posters welcome pack etc is one of my mates, he posted last night that he is averaging over 20mph for a 50 mile round hilly Trossachs in central Scotland. He did it in 5hrs last year.

I’m planning to launch a campaign to get them to consider running an MTB event at the Olympic venue in order to be fully inclusive to everyone. It’s apparently the biggest global cycling event so it’s only fair we are represented.

Kryton57

I always knew it would be the case but the logistics are a pain in the ****.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful as I’m sure all involved I the organising are working hard – but holy **** they are aren’t they? If I was newbie and had just been landed with my 30 page Instruction manual for the event I’d probably never enter a sportive again.

geetee1972
    Free Member

SO you also have to register in pereson at the Excel centre, in London, on one of the three preceding days.

How on earth are people living outside the home counties going to make that work? Come to think of it, even living in the home counties doens’t mean that isn’t going to be a major faff.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Start time 07:32 Black gate. Anybody else?

Nobby

07:25 Blue so I guess you may be the rider I crash into when the two waves merge 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I keep thinking we should all be wearing “STW” stickers or something…

mossimus
    Free Member

SO you also have to register in pereson at the Excel centre, in London, on one of the three preceding days.

How on earth are people living outside the home counties going to make that work? Come to think of it, even living in the home counties doens’t mean that isn’t going to be a major faff.

Is this not the same arrangement as per London marathon? Doesn’t seem to put people off doing that.

Pretty sure it would be impossible for the organisers getting everyone registered on the day.

geetee1972
    Free Member

**** my start time is 6.40am!

Whoppit just how fast did you say you would do it in?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hoping for less than 8 hours. Final training ride Sunday week, 90 miles-ish. I’ll have a better idea after that!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Odd; I’m aiming for five hours and have a much earlier start time! I would have thought the longer you said the earlier you would start.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, that target will get me home in the evening so, er, ….. don’t quite get your reasoning.

Actually, I’ll have already been home once, the route goes past my cave!

nedrapier

Faster time, earlier start, otherwise you’d have the fasties spending all day trying to get past slower riders.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That’s sensible.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Makes sense now.

Ride comes close to where I live as well Whoppit; The Parrot in Forest Green is the close point. Hoping my family can be there to cheer me on!

It will be surreal riding in London on closed roads. Can’t wait. Very excited now.

Sui
    Free Member

this is my start

•Start Area: Blue
    •Wave: M
    •Wave Load opening time: 05:55
    •Wave Load closing time:06:25
    •Start Time:06:55

There’s a group of us spread out by an hour which is frustrating. I’m yet to sit on a road bike this year. I’m yet to find a road bike for the event as well… hmmm

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sui I have one you could borrow if logistics could be made to work and it fit you.

It’s a size 56cm Genesis Equilibrium. I live in Horsham. Could it work?

alansd1980

Sui, we are off at the same time/gate. When you get a bike let me know what it is and will keep an eye out for you at the start.

Misread your time, I start 6.25 and your wave closed then.

Sui
    Free Member

cheers Gee, I’m hoping my man in head for Hills pulls another blinder as I didn’t do anything bad to him on his stag do. What size is 56 anyway, not a clue on road bikes, I’m bang on 6′ if that makes any difference..

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you’re a mate of Roger’s then it might be even easier to use my bike as I can just leave it with them for you to collect. 56cm means the top tube measures up 55.5cm long. In truth it would likely be a bit too small for you; you’d be better on a 58cm.

I’m sure Roger will sort you out. Ask if you can borrow Dan’s Trek Boone. Again might be a bit small but it’s a nice bike!

jam-bo

There’s a group of us spread out by an hour which is frustrating. I’m yet to sit on a road bike this year. I’m yet to find a road bike for the event as well… hmmm

Apparently the timing mats aren’t until about two miles after the start so you can pull over and wait for friends.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have just had a corporate hospitality type invite from the Pru to come and …..watch!

In solidarity with all those on here who didn’t get a place, I shall not be going! 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

so you can pull over and wait for friends.

I did this last year – at 6/7am in the morning, standing around for 20 minutes gets a little nippy…

Sui
    Free Member

Gee thanks for that, ill see what Rog comes back with, I appreciate the offer!

brakes – or anyone els – if you see a weirdo doing some star jumps at the side of the road, that will be me keeping warm! 🙂

missnotax
    Free Member

Yup, I’m doing this too!!

A bit of a logistical ‘challenge’ as I only fly in from my weeks hols mtbing in Spain on Saturday afternoon, but hey ho…!

Wave B
    Green
    0620-0650
    Start: 0720

I know i’m staying at London City airport with m local club on the Sat night, and I’m really hoping that’s close enough to the start to ride there without too much hassle??!

geetee1972
    Free Member

You’re very close Missnotax however registration at the Excel centre closes at 5pm so make sure you don’t miss it.

mudshark
    Free Member

7:05 start time for me, riding around 300k/week at the moment, 5 hours would be nice but can’t see it really.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘2014 Prudential Ride London’ is closed to new replies.