Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 191 total)
  • 2014 Prudential Ride London
  • mattjg
    Free Member

I’m in. And there’s a blue envelope on the table for my better half, I’m dying to open it but mustn’t. Are they sending out mags etc to applicants who don’t get in?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Six…

Should we all meet up at the start or something?

mattjg
    Free Member

3 Dorking Cocks are in so far. That’s about a 50% success rate, quite a surprise, I’d put it at about 15% probability.

tonyd

Cancelled. Bum.

I might go for a ride in the New Forest instead, at least it will be quiet!

howarthp

I’m in too

brakes
    Free Member

DD’s is a bit awkward to get back to London from isn’t it?

there are coaches arranged, or you can ride 15-20 miles to a nearby station, or even ride back.
    I’m planning to do it this year.

Should we all meet up at the start or something?

I’ll meet you by the clock tower at 10pm. I’ll be wearing a pink carnation.

mattjg
    Free Member

And there’s a blue envelope on the table for my better half, I’m dying to open it but mustn’t. Are they sending out mags etc to applicants who don’t get in?

Yes. She didn’t get in.

globalti
    Free Member

I’m in, first time. I’ve done the Cape Argus three times but that’s 68 miles.

Mrs Gti has just booked a family room at Premier Inn County Hall.

brooess
    Free Member

With so many entrants it seems that the public have voted in favour of more cycling and more closed roads 😀

Ian Huggins (him of the anti-cycling petition) is no doubt frothing at the mouth…

nedrapier

envelope

rip

“We regret..” IN THE BIN!!

Sulk 👿

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Looks like Im going to be a spectator . One of my contractors is in, so he sent me a photo as proof of his confirmation.

brakes
    Free Member

envelope

rip

“We regret..” IN THE BIN!!

find someone to do it on a tandem with?

nedrapier

that an offer? 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

maybe next year

nedrapier

Ha! I’ve asked for a place through my company’s charity, but I’m feeling pretty flouncey about the whole thing, to be honest.

Looking forward to hearing about Charlie’s 100 mile gravel thing, now.

kennyp
    Free Member

Didn’t get in so will be doing the closed road Tour of the Borders instead on the same day.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Fail 🙁

nedrapier

🙂 In with work’s charitable trust, supporting Mind this year, which I feel quite strongly about, so I won’t feel too hypocritical asking people for money to support something I’d happily do for no-one but me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ian Huggins (him of the anti-cycling petition) is no doubt frothing at the mouth…

I had an online conversation with this gentleman last year in which I told him I’d be entering in 2014 with the express intention of doing so just to swell the numbers and piss him off… 😆

jamiea
    Free Member

Not in 🙁 Thought about getting a charity place, one that has a family connection, but I’m organising a 3-day charity ride to Bruges in May and not sure if I’d be able to raise decent amounts for both.

Cheers,
    Jamie

xcgb
    Free Member

Rejected Do they know who I am!

nedrapier

Do they know who I am!

would you be happier with “Yes” or “No” ? 😀

xcgb
    Free Member

Well as they don’t appreciate my talents I will just watch you all ride past from my local pub wafting bacon rolls in your general direction

Rockape63
    Free Member

cancelled 🙁

NJA

I am in on the ballot and in with GOSH – will take the ballot place and still raise the sponsor money anyway. It means GOSH have a spare charity place now.

brakes
    Free Member

nice one nedrapier!
    I raised £1,200 last year for British Heart Foundation without too much effort.

nedrapier

Good work, I’ve got a pretty low target – £500, so I’d hope to get a good bit more than that.

A friend is having trouble getting into her old house to get post, and has used the link from this thread. She’s sent me a screen shot which says this: (“Registrant – Tpye – Edit” are table headings left to right across the page) No “Cancelled” anywhere. Does this look like she’s got in? I didn’t know you had to pay?

[Her Name] – View, Print or Email Registration Record and Receipt

Registrant
    1 [Her Name] Primary Attendee

Type
    2012 Prudential Ride LondonSurrey 100

Edit
    Personal Info
    Pay

hooli

If she clicks on “View, Print or Email Registration Record and Receipt”, it gives you a status about half way down.

nedrapier

Hooray – another STWer* in!

*she asked me about bikes once, I asked on here, she joined up say thanks. Not sure if that counts!

TiRed

Rejected. I can also say that on a sample size of over 55 riders, the acceptance rate is:

Male: 19%
    Female: 57%

If you want all the statistics, that difference is statistically significant (P = 0.04) and indicates positive discrimination. My sister has a place – she hasn’t ridden a bike in three years. I’m not bitter 😉

nedrapier

How many females in your sample size, TiRed?

Edit: 7, right? with 4 in?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Mrs Slim also got in..

Im almost embarassed by our success rate.

Dark-Side

I’m in through the ballot but will be in France that weekend. Oh well.

TiRed

5/7 is the right answer. And I didn’t include my sister, as she is not in our club. Another male rejected in the sample this morning too. So yes, obvious positive discrimination, which is hardly surprising given the breakdown of applications.

nedrapier

7’s not a big number (5/8 now). Hardly conclusive, but it’s a good indication. I’d be surprised if thery weren’t skewing the registrations in favour of women.

A more balanced male/female split probably makes for a nicer atmosphere, too.

puppypower
    Free Member

Well I’m female and I didn’t get in. Even more grumpy to find out I have been positively discriminated towards and STILL didn’t get a place. Boo hoo.

brakes
    Free Member

which is hardly surprising given the breakdown of applications

what does this mean?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I’m in through the Red Cross. Who wants to sponsor me? Hoorah can’t wait!

TiRed

There are VASTLY more men applying than woman. Hence to get some female representation (not the 3% or so of applicants) the organizers select male and female separately. I don’t have an issue with that, as you say, better atmosphere.

Ned, the sample size is 56 and there is an adjustment for gender which is significant. In fact it’s 4/7 vs. 9/49, which is more than enough to be different (P = 0.038 for an exact 2×2 chi squared)

So if you are female and didn’t get in, commiserations, you got tails. If you are male and did get in, you rolled a six!

hooli

So how is the training and fundraising going?

I am doing ok, raised a few hundred so far and am increasing my distances slowly but surely. 100 miles is still looking like a very long way given how I feel after a 50 or 60 mile ride at the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘2014 Prudential Ride London’ is closed to new replies.