2014 Prudential Ride London

Home Forum Chat Forum 2014 Prudential Ride London

Viewing 45 posts - 91 through 135 (of 191 total)
  • 2014 Prudential Ride London
  • Looks like Im going to be a spectator . One of my contractors is in, so he sent me a photo as proof of his confirmation.

brakes

envelope

rip

“We regret..” IN THE BIN!!

find someone to do it on a tandem with?

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

that an offer? 🙂

brakes

maybe next year

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Ha! I’ve asked for a place through my company’s charity, but I’m feeling pretty flouncey about the whole thing, to be honest.

Looking forward to hearing about Charlie’s 100 mile gravel thing, now.

Premier Icon kennyp
    Subscriber

Didn’t get in so will be doing the closed road Tour of the Borders instead on the same day.

Andy W
    Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

🙂 In with work’s charitable trust, supporting Mind this year, which I feel quite strongly about, so I won’t feel too hypocritical asking people for money to support something I’d happily do for no-one but me.

Mr Woppit

Ian Huggins (him of the anti-cycling petition) is no doubt frothing at the mouth…

I had an online conversation with this gentleman last year in which I told him I’d be entering in 2014 with the express intention of doing so just to swell the numbers and piss him off… 😆

jamiea

Not in 🙁 Thought about getting a charity place, one that has a family connection, but I’m organising a 3-day charity ride to Bruges in May and not sure if I’d be able to raise decent amounts for both.

Cheers,
    Jamie

xcgb

Rejected Do they know who I am!

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Do they know who I am!

would you be happier with “Yes” or “No” ? 😀

xcgb

Well as they don’t appreciate my talents I will just watch you all ride past from my local pub wafting bacon rolls in your general direction

Rockape63

cancelled 🙁

Premier Icon NJA
    Subscriber

I am in on the ballot and in with GOSH – will take the ballot place and still raise the sponsor money anyway. It means GOSH have a spare charity place now.

brakes

nice one nedrapier!
    I raised £1,200 last year for British Heart Foundation without too much effort.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Good work, I’ve got a pretty low target – £500, so I’d hope to get a good bit more than that.

A friend is having trouble getting into her old house to get post, and has used the link from this thread. She’s sent me a screen shot which says this: (“Registrant – Tpye – Edit” are table headings left to right across the page) No “Cancelled” anywhere. Does this look like she’s got in? I didn’t know you had to pay?

[Her Name] – View, Print or Email Registration Record and Receipt

Registrant
    1 [Her Name] Primary Attendee

Type
    2012 Prudential Ride LondonSurrey 100

Edit
    Personal Info
    Pay

hooli

If she clicks on “View, Print or Email Registration Record and Receipt”, it gives you a status about half way down.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Hooray – another STWer* in!

*she asked me about bikes once, I asked on here, she joined up say thanks. Not sure if that counts!

TiRed

Rejected. I can also say that on a sample size of over 55 riders, the acceptance rate is:

Male: 19%
    Female: 57%

If you want all the statistics, that difference is statistically significant (P = 0.04) and indicates positive discrimination. My sister has a place – she hasn’t ridden a bike in three years. I’m not bitter 😉

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

How many females in your sample size, TiRed?

Edit: 7, right? with 4 in?

slimjim78

Mrs Slim also got in..

Im almost embarassed by our success rate.

Dark Side

I’m in through the ballot but will be in France that weekend. Oh well.

TiRed

5/7 is the right answer. And I didn’t include my sister, as she is not in our club. Another male rejected in the sample this morning too. So yes, obvious positive discrimination, which is hardly surprising given the breakdown of applications.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

7’s not a big number (5/8 now). Hardly conclusive, but it’s a good indication. I’d be surprised if thery weren’t skewing the registrations in favour of women.

A more balanced male/female split probably makes for a nicer atmosphere, too.

Premier Icon puppypower
    Subscriber

Well I’m female and I didn’t get in. Even more grumpy to find out I have been positively discriminated towards and STILL didn’t get a place. Boo hoo.

brakes

which is hardly surprising given the breakdown of applications

what does this mean?

I’m in through the Red Cross. Who wants to sponsor me? Hoorah can’t wait!

TiRed

There are VASTLY more men applying than woman. Hence to get some female representation (not the 3% or so of applicants) the organizers select male and female separately. I don’t have an issue with that, as you say, better atmosphere.

Ned, the sample size is 56 and there is an adjustment for gender which is significant. In fact it’s 4/7 vs. 9/49, which is more than enough to be different (P = 0.038 for an exact 2×2 chi squared)

So if you are female and didn’t get in, commiserations, you got tails. If you are male and did get in, you rolled a six!

hooli

So how is the training and fundraising going?

I am doing ok, raised a few hundred so far and am increasing my distances slowly but surely. 100 miles is still looking like a very long way given how I feel after a 50 or 60 mile ride at the moment.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Good work hooli! Don’t forget it’ll be a lot quicker with people to draft, no traffic or traffic lights. I#’d guess that a 75 mile ride on your own with route finding, stopping for traffic, is going to feel the same as the 100 on the day. Anyone think that’s reasonable?

I’d be alright with the distance now, I reckon. Obviously more work would make it easier quicker, but I’d get round.

The thing that’s bugging me is a sharp shoulder pain after about three hours in the saddle. New bars have helped a bit, but it’s still a bit of a worry. Doesn’t make long rides quite so appealing. I’m seeing a woman about it tomorrow night, hopefully it’s caused by something that’s easily sorted. Fingers crossed!

Plan is to sort the shoulder, get fit enough for 100 miles of Dorset bridleways in May, then keep it topped up till August.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

So how is the training and fundraising going?

errr, zero and zero…

hjghg5

Should find out if I have a place this week – I’m in one of the four teams my club has entered. Rode just over 100k yesterday on a club ride which included all four members of the team so I’m fairly happy that the distance will be fine and the group will work nicely together, so just need to keep my fingers crossed!

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Fundraising going ok, but then my employer is doubling anything I get 🙂

My main problem is a back/SI joint injury preventing me from doing any real riding. Flat stuff isn’t too painful but hills are the killer at the moment – I guess it should all be ok by August 😯

If anyone wants to donate to GOSH & have it doubled feel free…..

Edit: PS, anyone got a gpx/crs file from last year?

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Registration pack & rider numbers out today – guess it’s actually happening then 🙂

Mr Woppit

Second distance road training ride on Sunday (weather permitting). Hoping for around 150k.

That ought to do it.

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

I’m booked in for a 50 mile sportive – might go for 2 laps.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Successive 140k weekly club rides for me, with Wednesday night crits. With closed roads and a 5h.30 target watch out for a Jensie impersonator….

Not so sure about the 5:47 gathering time though :-/

It’d better not rain either.

Premier Icon alansd1980
    Subscriber

Several people I know did this last year and have said take an hour off your previous best century time. Closed roads, a flat route and a limitless supply of wheels to suck mean this is a fast ride.

Went out Monday to check out the surrey hills section to discover the leith hill climb is closed. There is a tiny lane not too far away that can be used as an alternative. With closed roads this really should be an amazing ride. Planning to get out early one Sunday to check out the to to surrey hills/back to london loop to avoid any nasty surprises in the day.

hooli

Not long to go now, I have done a few 70 and 80 mile rides so hoping I make it.

I always knew it would be the case but the logistics are a pain in the ****. Need to be there Saturday to register and then need to leave home at about 3am to get to the start. I have looked at some hotels but I have left it late and don’t fancy £250 for the night, especially as local hotels don’t have parking and then I need to do something with luggage during the ride.

Should be a good day though, looking forward to it.

Mr Woppit

A courier just walked in and said he didn’t have time to bother with all that online donation malarkey and peeled off £50 cash!

After my initial goldfish impersonation, I said thank you, but didn’t feel that was adequate, somehow…

Sui

hooli is there no-one that will collect for you? All they need is a copy of the registration signed, proof of ID and a letter from you to say its ok!

hooli

Sui – My sister offered as she lives in London but I wasn’t planning on seeing her to get it between between Saturday afternoon and 5am on Sunday. I need to ask around if anybody local is doing it.

geetee1972

How did I end up with two rider numbers?

julzm

I work for prudential and know loads of people that have done this last year cos they really promote I through the company and it’s a big deal. Apparently its a really fantastic event. The guy who is in all the posters welcome pack etc is one of my mates, he posted last night that he is averaging over 20mph for a 50 mile round hilly Trossachs in central Scotland. He did it in 5hrs last year.

I’m planning to launch a campaign to get them to consider running an MTB event at the Olympic venue in order to be fully inclusive to everyone. It’s apparently the biggest global cycling event so it’s only fair we are represented.

Viewing 45 posts - 91 through 135 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘2014 Prudential Ride London’ is closed to new replies.