2013/14 Rugby Thread

Home Forum Chat Forum 2013/14 Rugby Thread

Viewing 45 posts - 2,656 through 2,700 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • tinybits

And Gav, don’t forget about Gav!

tinybits

Interesting when Bath announce there team on the apt annoy, super fav get booed, from his own supporters.
    That’s quite a talent!

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

@tinybits – not surprising he gets booed given his history of anti-English remarks, he’s generally seen as an all round knob by many (quote from Bath fan friend of mine). He even upset the French by having a pop at Wilkinson when he was, very briefly, at Toulon.

Bear

Even his coaches have been known to have a pop at his waterproof tan….

Saying that he came on Saturday and I think won the crucial turnover on the Bath line in the last 5 mins. He was signed as cover for 2 positions, can’t see him being needed now with Ford, Heathcote, Devoto all playing 10. JJ, Eastmond, Devoto, Banahan & Burgess covering centre. although with Abendenon off might need full back cover?

and yet if you go on a bath fan forum even the skeptics seem to be impressed with how he has handled himself this season and hasnt let them down when asked to play 10, 12, 13 or 15 or kick goals. He has also been thoroughly committed playing for the seconds too.
    http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s105.htm?1469,14575409

tinybits

I actually think he’s played well this season, better than for a long time. Still quite surprised at the reception at the rec, even Austin Healy and Johnno didn’t get that – from the oppersition!

Premier Icon vondally
    Subscriber

Mr Burgess…………………not many of the league fans I work with are impressed by him, be intresting to see how he goes on…………what position?

tinybits

If he’s got pace, then it’d be centre. Probably outside depending on distribution skills (including kicking).
    He won’t be a forward, it’ll take too long to adjust and he won’t outplay the England backrow in that position in the tight.

I actually think he’s played well this season, better than for a long time.

[quote]

He was quite brilliant on occasions for welsh last year but got broken a lot. Has been solid this season but hasnt ever been really given a run of games in one position. Most likely off to the Dregs with Matt Morgan next season.

Albanach

Scot XV: Hogg Seymour Dunbar Scott Lamont Weir Laidlaw; Grant Lawson Low RGray Hamilton Wilson Fusaro Beattie
    Scot bench: Ford Dickinson Cross Swinson Denton Cusiter Taylor Evans

Still no sign of Kelly Brown!? Scott Johnson is a total clown, if I was. Vern Cotter I’d be running a mile.

On a positive note Seymour looks handy!

ijs445ra

It is baffling. I think Swinson has been better than Hamilton but Swinson drops out. Wilson has not been great but Brown and Denton are dropped when either could do a job at 6.

I do agree that Lawson should start at Hooker though.

daniebike

Swinson is totally better than Hamilton, no questions about that.

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Cusiter signs 2yr deal with Sale, another ageing Scot :/

duckman

Ha ha dwarf,he is broken more than that car that started top gear on Sunday! Wee Gray was bloody good against Cardiff,suspect Hamilton got the nod because of his experience and bulk. To beat Italy we will have to nullify their pack. Brown at 6 would’ve been better than Wilson,but Johnston has to appear to be pursuing some tactical masterplan that only knows about.

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Cusiter that desperate to get out of Salmonds utopia he’s moved to Salford!
    Between him & Nathan Hines, i won’t be surprised to find out our next signing is William Webb Ellis!

tiggs121

I’d have had Cusiter in for Laidlaw, Evans for Lamont, both Gray brothers, back row of Fusaro, Denton and Beattie.

It’s the stand off position that is really worrying. Sadly, Weir may be the best we’ve got!

Looks like Mr Johnson has a secret plan that only he knows! I suspect he won’t eve tell the players about either.

Kelly Brown will probably never play for Scotland again.

I’m a league fan and gutted Burgess has gone. I’m sure he’ll go fine in union. He’s a monster in both attack and defence
    If you’ve got a spare 45 mins, check out the Slammin’ Sam documentary he did last year. Good insight into his life.

He’ll hav to learn how to.tackl properly judging by som o the “hits” I’ve seen on ewetube

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

That’s if he can grasp the Union game – being a good League player doesn’t mean he’ll grasp what is a very different game.

Tackling should be ok. League banned the shoulder charge a season or two back.

Bear

bits I’ve seen of him he uses bulk to get past people, especially as defences are 10 yards away, defender will be in his face far quicker so no chance to build momentum.
    Also he’s big, but then so are all the forwards in union so people will be able to put him on the floor quickly.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Hmmm. Even with his current not so great form, Cole will be missed against Ireland. This means England really don’t have ANYONE playing anywhere near like a 7 at all. I see turnovers being won by Ireland, England going backward, England bashing forward. I think England will win by a small margin.

ekul

+1 for the slammin Sam documentary, really good.

having watched some of his tries i think he’ll do alright, for all his size and power he is quite agile and steps out of a lot of tackles. His determination to get over the gain line/try line is pretty scary! He just shrugs people off!

still think he’s left it a bit late though. If he wanted to play in the world cup he should have come now and gone back to league a season earlier if theyre his plans.

WALES (v France): Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, George North, Jamie Roberts, Liam Williams, Rhys Priestland, Rhys Webb; Gethin Jenkins, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (Capt), Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ken Owens; Paul James, Rhodri Jones, Jake Ball, Justin Tipuric, Mike Phillips, Dan Biggar, James Hook.

Spikey dropped, which isn’t really a surprise.

North v Bastareaud in the centres? Bish, bash, bosh! I suspect George is a little more agile, though.

French referee, though. 😉

Also, a Welsh rugby/beer PSA – Sainsburys appear to be doing bottles of SA or Rev James for one pound and twenty nine pennies.

Also, Tesco, instead of the usual 3 for a fiver, are doing lots at 4 for £6. Beer we come!

Liam Williams and Rhys Webb are nowhere near as good as Phillips and Hook, thats just plain stupid. Front five get mashed and flankers go awol and Wales drop the scrum half. It was ever thus!
    Basteraud is broken isnt he? Fickou v North fills me with dread far more than a fat lad running straight at him.

ijs445ra

Basteraud is fit

FRANCE (v Wales): Brice Dulin; Yoann Huget, Mathieu Bastereaud, Wesley Fofana, Hugo Bonneval; Jules Plisson, Jean-Marc Doussain; Thomas Domingo, Dimitri Szarzewski, Nicolas Mas, Pascal Pape (capt), Yoann Maestri, Yannick Nyanga, Wenceslas Lauret, Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Brice Mach, Yannick Forestier, Vincent Debaty, Sebastien Vahaamahina, Damien Chouly, Maxime Machenaud, Remi Tales, Gael Fickou

French team announcement, tres chic, non?

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I’m cheering for Wales 😕

DanW

Liam Williams and Rhys Webb are nowhere near as good as Phillips and Hook, thats just plain stupid. Front five get mashed and flankers go awol and Wales drop the scrum half. It was ever thus! Fickou v North fills me with dread far more than a fat lad running straight at him.

What a_a said 😕

duckman

I really,really rate fickou,he will be a real test of North’s credentials. Mind you,North is pretty special. The joy of watching a game as a neutral….( welsh wife not about)

Luckily for us Fickou isnt starting as Basteraud is fit. ( watch Basteraud play a blinder now I’ve said that!)

boxfish

Shaun Edwards will be leaving an assortment of pies and cakes on the touchline so as to distract the big French fella.

Wilson starts for england, Ford on bench.

boxfish – Member
    Shaun Edwards will be leaving an assortment of pies and cakes on the touchline so as to distract the big French fella.

😀

Pigface

Gatland is making a statement by dropping Spikey Mikey, Gatland is the Boss.

Hope its a good game but hate 6N games being on a Friday night

Hope its a good game but hate 6N games being on a Friday night

Agreed. Especially at 2000hrs. I understand why it’s that late, to get people to the ground etc, but it’s not the right time to be playing them. To be honest, I prefer them all to be on a Saturday afternoon, as per the final day, but I can understand the Sunday game idea. Friday games? No thanks.

BlindMelon

Ireland unchanged for Sat

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 51
    14. Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster) 52
    13. Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) 130
    12. Gordon D’Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 76
    11. Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster) 4
    10. Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92) 40
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 24
    1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 44
    2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 72
    3. Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster) 36
    4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 12
    5. Paul O’Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 89 capt
    6. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 21
    7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster) 11
    8. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) 62

Replacements

16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 32
    17. Jack McGrath (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 5
    18. Martin Moore (Lansdowne/Leinster) 2
    19. Iain Henderson (Ballinahinch/Ulster) 7
    20. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster)*
    21. Isaac Boss (Terenure College/Leinster) 19
    22. Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) 7
    23. Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 23

loum

Almost.
    Jordi Murphy’s in 🙂

Maybe a bit unfair on Tommy O’Donnell who let no-one down but he’s a great young player.
    Mini SOB

duckman

Can somebody send me a link to the rugby drinking game. I am going up to crianlarich tomorrow night to do some climbing,but since the MWIS is suggesting that Sat’s weather will consist of rain low/snow high and the wind is 35-50 gusting 70 and strengthening during the day 😯 Another diversion will obviously be needed.

tinybits

England team’s up,

Fatman Wilson in to replace Cole. Nothing wrong with the Bath scrum, but shows how bare the cupboard is that a man with 25mins playing time in 2 months is starting! If he lasts the first half I’ll be surprised.

Ford set to come in at some point, had to happen so better now than at a later date. He’s kept Farrell out of FH at all age levels and can actually run and make plays, but I’m still worried he’ll be too small for international rugby, and we’ll see a massive attack in that channel, without Barrett in there to cover for him.

loum

If he scrums well he’ll have done his job.
    IMO, England could afford a passenger with the rest of their pack, second and back rows are like a machine when they get going. and TBH, I reckon they miss Corbs more than Cole now.
    Really looking forward to this weekends’ games. I quite like the Friday night starter when it’s a “neutral” game. Set’s up a good weekend and I’m more likely to get time to watch it than two consecutive w/end days.
    But to be honest, it does seem to involve the Welsh most often so can understand why some of their fans wouldn’t.

Viewing 45 posts - 2,656 through 2,700 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.