Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 2013 Trail Bike of the Year…
  • rewski
    Free Member
    LoCo
    Free Member

Whose the Distributor, advertise much do they? 😉

Painey
    Free Member

Whyte T129 won it though, Zesty came third.

bigrich

it says the shocks are rubbish.

LoCo
    Free Member

How’d it get 4.5/5 then ?

Don’t get me wrong I like Zestys

saxabar
    Free Member

For a best of the best, and given that trail bikes are much of a muchness, there are a lot of negatives in that article!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I thought that. seemed a bit critical.

but I think its all wrong and bollox as mine wasn’t in the top three. 😆

tomhoward

There will be a lot of orange fanbois that are going to be a little miffed…. 😈

already.

To be fair, 2013 kit was launched around August/September last year, so they have had a while to make their minds up.

Northwind

LoCo – Member

Whose the Distributor, advertise much do they?

The Whyte won- definitely not a top advertiser (and Nukeproof/Hotlines, Specialized and Orange, much bigger advertisers, didn’t win) But hey.

bigrich – Member

it says the shocks are rubbish.

It says they set it up wrong and it didn’t work too well, so they fixed it. More an observation that it’s sensitive to setup than a major criticism, I reckon?

Scapegoat

So, it was badly set up and got battered and punctured, has a twangy fork and plastic tyres, narrow bars and over-long stem, is crying out for a shock and tyre upgrade, had brakes only suitable for big hands and despite the 3100 quid price tag doesn’t have a dropper, yet still makes it onto the podium? Right.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Test fail. My bike was not on the list of tested bikes. I guess it’s too boutique. If it was it would have won I sure 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bit of a short long list…. missing Blur TR(c), Rocky’s and a heap more. Must be hard to be a test riding journo these days.

But seriously isn’t bike radar one of the weird ones we normally laugh at?

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont they have those stupid push fit BB that give up after a few months ?

boloclips
    Free Member

That was the worst test i have ever read In my life.. it made me make a very big error..
    I read the results, sold my 2012 Orange Five black gold for £2000.00 and bought a new Whyte T129S all in the space of a week.
    I can confirm that the Orange was a really great bike and the Whyte is a load of shit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That was the worst test i have ever read In my life.. it made me make a very big error..
    I read the results, sold my 2012 Orange Five black gold for £2000.00 and bought a new Whyte T129S all in the space of a week.
    I can confirm that the Orange was a really great bike and the Whyte is a load of shit.

Don’t buy a bike without a test ride?

boloclips
    Free Member

I know i have learnt the hard way and i really really miss my orange

maxtorque

tbh, i don’t think a 150mm Zesty is really a “trail” bike these days. yes, you CAN use it as a trail bike, but nothing they rode in those videos needed 150mm of travel. So i agree, as a “trail” bik, the T-129 is “better” Add in the higher price and it’s even further behind.

But, if you wanted a bike that you could say also take to the alps once a year, then it would clearly be a much better proposition that either of the other two.

soulstealer
    Free Member

But its not 650b so by defintion is now so last season!

wilko1999
    Free Member

These ‘of the year’ tests just crack me up. They now just remind me of Harry Hill and his comedy ‘of the week’ sketches – like ‘Over-ambitious cucumber fold-over of the week’ (check it out on youtube) and therefore I can’t take them seriously any more.

Like we’ve all been sat here on the edge of our seats, biting our nails awaiting the outcome of a test conducted by a group of riders, probably not that different to a lot of us on here, to see what their opinion is of a selection of bikes that they deem worthy of entering the competition. The test is tosh, ignore it and buy the bike that looks the best, they’re all good these days.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

SC Tallboy LTc is the only bike in the test to get 5/5 yet it doesn’t win ‘Trail Bike of the Year’… hmmm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a lot of respect for bike companies who don’t do annual changes/releases “look at how we made what you bought look like dog eggs” make properly, release for 2/3 years with running gear upgrades then make the next one better. A bike doesn’t become bad on the 31st December it panders to the “Bike is Good on Paper” crowd who frankly talk a bad game and play a bad game 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

I tend to treat these with an enormous amount of skepticism. If I’m in the market for a new bike/frame then I’ll ask around and take a test ride.

Over the last few years there have been certain marques that have been “en-vogue” so to speak who win lots of group tests, but then twelve months later disappear into obscurity. I’m sorry, but things don’t move along THAT fast, especially not with the recent price hikes we’ve all had to deal with.

And back to the test, what about the Saracen? A £2,800 bike with a Turn Key damper? I’d happily swap Kashima shininess for a plain Evolution shock and MoCo up front.

granny_ring

🙄 @ bolo

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve just re-read the review of the Boardman Team FS I have that was also in this years list

“You won’t find a better full-sus bike under a grand. It’s hard to think how we’d improve it”

I’ve changed; brakes, tyres, handlebar and stem, saddle, grips, crankset, bottom bracket, pedals, added a dropper post…

I love my bike but it’s taken a bit of effort to get it right. Still I’ve only spent £1,300 all in so far on it and would have a right weapon if i had the balls to ride it properly

bigrich

It says they set it up wrong and it didn’t work too well, so they fixed it. More an observation that it’s sensitive to setup than a major criticism, I reckon?

“The main culprit was the basic ‘Evolution’ damper in the rear shock, but excess dive and twang under braking from the 150mm travel Fox 32 forks really didn’t help.”

sounds rubbish to me.

mattjg
    Free Member

Whyte is a load of shit

@bolo please substantiate, nowt wrong with a forthright opinion but it’s good to back it up with a ‘why’.

I have a Whyte and like it (because I think it’s great VFM, it’s a bit Britishly idiosyncratic, I like the way the slack HA buys me a little reaction time and the way the 120mm forks soak up a lot of the rooty trails I ride), but I didn’t ride much else to compare it with.

Northwind

bigrich – Member

“The main culprit was the basic ‘Evolution’ damper in the rear shock, but excess dive and twang under braking from the 150mm travel Fox 32 forks really didn’t help.”

sounds rubbish to me.

Meaningless without context- many of the other bikes in the test were also on 32s.

bigrich

Meaningless without context

the context is that when you ride them off road, they twang and dive and the rear doesn’t track.

I think you mean in comparison; in order to come third, all the other shocks below it must also be rubbish.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Didn’t the same mag rate the Trance 29 as its favourite 29 trail bike and unstoppable when compared with anthem. Then include the anthem (XC?) as #2 in trail bike of the year. Bizarre IMO

andypaul99
    Free Member

The tests aren’t targeted at STW readers who probably have up to seven bikes in their lairs, they are designed food people with an interest in MTB,s who would like advice on a good bike to buy. the clue is in the title ‘what mountain bike’ it ain’t no oracle and doesn’t pretend to be

boloclips
    Free Member

Mattgj
    when i said the whyte is a load if shit I wrote it because i am seriously gutted with it. it is no where near as good to ride as my old Orange on my local trails. the orange was solid and the white just feels like it is going to fall apart and it dont jump like the orange either. One thing i will praise about the whyte is that it was awesome riding it on the road to work this moring really fast.. only problem i wanted a mountain bike not a road bike. only sold the orange because i fell out of love with it.. the cost of upkeep for that bike was unbelievable and i got it in my head i needed a new bike.

Kryton57

Eh? Not a 650b? Someone will get fired over that….

daveh
    Free Member

I bought the mag for the feature. Forgetting any bias/advertising type conspiracies the article did seem to contain a number of inconsistencies eg criticise one bike for its weight but not mention it for another of the same weight. Reading the whole mag brought more, particularly regarding the zesty, bike of the year versus ‘our bikes’.

Northwind

bigrich – Member

I think you mean in comparison; in order to come third, all the other shocks below it must also be rubbish.

Nope, because it’s a bike test not a suspension test. And they make it pretty clear that they think the performance of the bike outweighs complaints on individual components.

The fact that the main issue with the shock was only bad setup on their part makes me wonder why they made such an issue of it- if I screw up setting up a bike I keep quiet, I don’t blame the bike 😉 Bad reviewing IMO.

bigrich

3100 pounds for a bike with poor forks and cheapo rear shock – yet rated the third best bike made this year.

that’s why

iainc

Why was cost of upkeep of a 5 ‘unbelievable’ ?

maxtorque

bigrich

3100 pounds for a bike with poor forks and cheapo rear shock – yet rated the third best bike made this year.

You do understand the difference between relative and absolute measurement don’t you?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

boloclips – that is surprising, I haven’t found mine feeling like it is going to fall apart (and I weigh 18 stone and ride in the Lakes). It feels a lot more sorted than the Yeti 575 I had previously!

I do agree it is fast tough 😉

roverpig

boloclips: Sorry to hear that you are not loving the new bike, but I’d be fascinated to hear more. It is so rare to hear a negative review of a new bike that somebody has just bought(assuming you are not just winding us all up).

In what way does it feel like it will fall apart? Is it just flexing more. I’ve just been testing an Orange Gyro having spent a while riding an (older) Five and had the opposite feeling, with the Gyro feeling noticeably stiffer than the Five. Could it just be flex in the wheels?

Jumping is an alien world to me, but I wonder in what way it can be harder to jump. The overall weight of the bike (plus you of course) can’t be significantly different to the Five. So, if you launch if off the same slope it should go as far. Is it just the suspension not giving you the same “pop”?

Northwind

bigrich – Member

Eh, most people wouldn’t consider a 32 to be a poor fork even in Evo spec, people queue up to buy ’em (I wouldn’t!). And the shock apparently performed fine once they fixed their mistake.

You wouldn’t want a bike with really nice parts that rides like crap to win just because it’s good value, would you? Just the other side of the same coin- having individual lacklustre parts could drag a bike down but if it’s still great to ride then that’s what really counts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘2013 Trail Bike of the Year…’ is closed to new replies.