2013 Trail Bike of the Year…

Home Forum Bike Forum 2013 Trail Bike of the Year…

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • 2013 Trail Bike of the Year…
  • Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

it seems to twang down the trail not in a good way

Sounds as though it could be flex that’s the problem then. I remember going from a 2012 Trance to a 2006 Five and being shocked at the flex in the Five. With time I got used to it, learnt to trust that the wheels weren’t going to go off in different directions and it started to feel natural. Until I jumped back on to the Trance and realized how much more secure you can feel on a stiffer bike.

It’s interesting that you are finding the Whyte more flexible than the Five though. That suggests, to me, that the newer Fives are a lot stiffer than my old 2006 model. Did your Five have the Maxle rear end? Mind you the Whyte has this too. So, unless there is a lot of flex in their multi-bar suspension (which is unlikely) I’d be looking at the wheels.

Mr Woppit

I’ll stick with my “soldered-girders-from-Halifax” steed, thanks.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

I’ve not had the feeling the Whyte is ‘about to fall to bits’ or that it’s boring, I don’t really jump tho and I am 30kg lighter than boloclips!

z1ppy

boloclips, let me be the 1st to make an offer…2p and a old fag butt?

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

it’s a fair point though that the magazine testers are usually skinny pinchy-faced whippets who ride every day, the typical customer isn’t!

Toasty

Given the weight difference between a £2500 lean full carbon trail bike frame and a hefty Sheffield girder trail bike frame is about 1.5 pounds. The same as 5% the weight of a bike, or 0.7% the weight of me.

I think I’ll just stick with the girder bike, ta!

Dino

Don’t really understand why folks still buy orange 5,s ??
    Far better bikes with better rear suspension designs & less weight for similar money IMO

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

Don’t really understand why folks still buy orange 5,s ??

Don’t worry about it. Just enjoy the mystery of life 🙂

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Toasty – Member

Given the weight difference between a £2500 lean full carbon trail bike frame and a hefty Sheffield girder trail bike frame is about 1.5 pounds. The same as 5% the weight of a bike, or 0.7% the weight of me.

Not just weight though- the carbon bike won’t be as bendy as a plastic ruler like a Five is 😉

(and I mean that with great affection- my 224 is about as stiff as my Soda and I quite like it. But most people like stiff.)

boloclips

Hi everyone.. its now time to eat my words.. I went out for a ride last night with my normal group of 7.. they were all on 26ers. As i turned up they all asked how my new bike was and my response was that I hated my new bike. I had only ridden it a couple of times and since the first rides which I hated I have put on a shorter stem and a SDG saddle. Anyway as we set of on our normal 10 mile loop which I normally sit at the back of the pack and struggle to keep up I made an instant note that i was in front and after the 1st mile of uphill riding to the woods i was riding on my own well out in front.. I could not believe it.. I the started to think that my new bike was actually quite good and decided to give it some on the downs.. (the first time I rode it I was crap could not jump at all) this time with a shorter stem the bike was alive.. it flow over the jumps it felt really fun and i jumped further than ever before. I could not believe it. When riding single track it flew along and if i was behind a 26er I could just free wheel and watch my mate peddling like hell to try and get away from me.. HA HA.. TBH I was amazed how good the bike is.. It does flex a little on the rear but i just need to adjust my riding style a little to compensate it. I am now a 29er and will prob never go back to 26er as the 29er just feels great, perfect and fun.. rode my mates 26er to the pub and it felt like a lego bike. I love my Whyte T129S trail bike of the year.

jonnyb1972

Glad you now like it, I love mine done a couple of hundred miles on it and it seems to just get better 🙂

nigelb001

Awww a happy ending. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘2013 Trail Bike of the Year…’ is closed to new replies.