Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 2013 MTB Holiday
  • mdoubleu

I’m looking to get away and ride in the mountains with a group of friends in 2013. As a group we’ve all got reasonable fitness and ridden a number of UK trail centres – and we’re looking for a holiday in Europe where the riding would be XC/AM/Enduro type riding possibly with a day’s downhiling (although none of us have ever truly ‘downhilled’). One of us has ridden Morzine so trying to avoid.

Ideally the holiday would be fully catered and fully guided.

Any advice on locations etc?

Currently got a list of possible destinations but that’s it –

Switzerland – Zermatt or Verbier
    Andorra (not overly keen on transfer time)
    Italy – Livigno
    Spain – Marina Alta Mountains, Pyrenees, Bubion
    France – Les Arc, Beaufort

HELP

getonyourbike
    Free Member

If you like natural enduro type trails then go to Les Arcs. The trails are amazing and the lifts are pretty good too. There’s also a little bike park bit if you want to play around. The Mountain Bike Chalet are very, very highly recommended by me.

Kryton57

I’ve always fancied that guided week in the mountains in Morocco,riding during the day from village to village with beer at the end….

Something like this http://www.flowmtb.com/morocco/unknown-morocco/

jota180
    Free Member

This lot in Northern Spain get some good recommendations here
    http://www.basquemtb.com/

as do Ciclo Montana on the opposite side of Spain
    http://www.ciclomontana.com/

Both great areas o cycle around

wavejumper
    Free Member

I’ve heard of some really great places in Italy but can’t quite remember the name…….. It may come to me.

Mackem
    Northwind

White Room, would be my recommendation, absolutely superb- and pretty much exactly what you describe.

Chuck in a wee trip up to Tignes on the rest day for some straightforward bikepark dh, if you want… But tbh with riding like this the line between am and downhill gets pretty thin.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Rivierabike was probably the best MTB holiday we have ever been on and went there twice. Still used as a reference. Great trails and great place to stay. Doug at BasqueMTb was also really top bloke and such an interesting place to ride. Did a Wales Road Trip this year but I am desperate to go to the Dolomites in 2013

getonyourbike
    Free Member
    bobbyatwork
    Free Member

I’d second riviera bike…I had a great trip they’re this summer,cheap for what we got,great food/company/guides…they do well with biggish parties

Popocatapetl

Trail Addiction For Les Arcs, you won’t get any better. Went at start of August. All first class. Great guides, going back next year. 😀

jonke
    Free Member

Book directly with goat shed in les arcs if you want something a little cheaper. And they’re lovely people that run it.

TheDTs
    Free Member

AQR based in Luchon in the Pyrenees, are great, I only spent a day with Ian as I was on a family holiday but the riding and setup there was great and quite quiet.

Northwind

We had a great week with AQR, but it was all pedal-powered. Nothing wrong with that but you can get a hell of a lot more descending out of your week with an uplifted holiday.

superfli
    Free Member

Looking at the White Room website, they do all the Tarentaise resorts+ Pila for some great DH days. the combination of resorts would fit your bill perfectly. We rode the area this summer and it covered everything you asked for (although we didnt bother with guide – not needed IMO).

Northwind

Guiding is worth it IMO, for 2 reasons. First is simply backup- if you spanner yourself, they’ve got all the contacts, the locations etc. But also, the guiding itself has paid off every time we’ve done it… And as far as I’m concerned none of the best riding we did in the Tarantaise valley was at a resort, and some of the best stuff at the resorts would be hard to find. And of course, you’re less likely to waste time on a duff trail or just getting lost.

Don’t get me wrong, I could have happilly spent a week mucking about at the resorts but the area has miles more to give.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Pure Mountains would be perfect

http://www.puremountains.com/

wrecker
    Free Member

Third rivierabike. The guide, rich is a top chap. The location is perfect; minimal distractions. Food; brilliant and lovely.
    I honestly can’t see how it can be bettered.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

White Room +1 Awesome trails best of the whole valley and good food

cossyrush
    Free Member

Went for the first time this year with Trail Addiction to Les Arc.
    Was superb, couldn’t fault a single thing.
    Chalet, food, guiding all excellent.
    Worked out to be a little bit expensive once you take into account all the costs, but I’m already planning to return next year.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Got to be bike Verbier, some awesome trails of which they are ones you won’t find yourself. Switzerland is cheapest done as fully catered chalet with guides. They have a gorgeous chalet, you get the uplifts, it’s like skiing.. cake when you come off the trails every day. Definately worth it. We drove down too which was cheaper than flying and itw as a good adventure. I have heard good thingks about Riveria Bike and Switchbacks.

mdoubleu

thanks to all of you, I now have some clarity on where and with whom. Will let you know once decided.

sambob
    Free Member

MBMB in Chamonix were good for us this year, all very well organised. When you going to Les Arcs Ady?

jenny
    Free Member

Hello there,

We offer that kind of riding, with full guiding and Land Rover back-up, here at Pure Mountains in the Sierra Nevada mountains in Andalucía. Hearty food and a free bar are also included.

Have a look at our website. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

Jenny

PS Thanks for the recommendation, eightyeight!

Everything you desribed is in Ibiza too. Van uplifts available,training, guiding and new accomodation right on the beach. Updates coming soon.
    Check our website

Mbnut
    Free Member

Les Arcs would fit the bill I reckon, I have been a couple of times and have found that Trail Addiction and Mountain Bike Chalet ride the exact same area and trails, for me Mountain Bike Chalet offer better value (not stayed with TA but see them on the trails so know where they ride).

White Room Chalet are based in a slightly different area but do ride many of the same trails but also offer trips to other riding spots, for me this was the trip that provided the best mix of riding.

My trip next year will probably be something of a road trip, with 3 days at Pila, 3 days at Morzine as much for the social and 3 days at Chamoix.

Whatever happens you will love it.

allmountainventure
    Free Member
    stevomcd
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

wl
    Free Member

+1 http://www.bikeverbier.com 100%. Everything you read about their holidays is true – great chalet, brilliant hosts and guides, delicious grub, very well organised and, most importantly of all, natural backcountry riding that’s out of this world and virtually unknown or untouched by other bikers.

dreamer
    Free Member

We’ve just come back from 2 weeks riding with Altitude Adventure in the southern Pyrenees
    Altitude Adventure
    First week riding local trails and then a 4 day Summit to Sea trip the 2nd week. Excellent guiding, chalet, cooking, free beer and Ian & Angela really do all they can to make your trip exceptional. Excellent hire bikes as well if you don’t want to take your own – transfers available from 3 airports. Highly recommended!
    We’ve ridden with Bike Verbier, Trail Addiction, Rivierabike etc 3-4 times each so have a good base for comparison.

xizang
    Free Member

Feel free to take a look at our website http://www.rideczech.com

Something a little different from the norm! 🙂

singlespeedstu

Another vote for Bike Verbier here.

Trails, guiding, food, chalet all fantastic.

Made the mistake of going elsewhere this year just because we fancied something different. We’ll be going back to Bike Verbier next year for sure.

mrelectric

Going to La Palma for two weeks over Christmas. Looks great, any recommendations for routes, even guide/hire?

singlespeedstu

wl.

Can you email me about bike verbier next year. 😀

labsey
    Free Member

Verbier is stunning. If the skiing is anything to go by, the riding will be awesome.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

Please consider us at http://www.bikingandalucia.comat the Sierra Nevada, Andalucia, Southern Spain, I am sure we can provide !

Leku
    Free Member

This time last week…..

[/url]
    536204_363112183772101_193081540_n by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_0659 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_0656 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

Switchbacks. Third visit and best yet.

mdoubleu

About to make booking with White Room, can’t wait…….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

OOOO decisions think we will probably return to Bike Verbier next year as had such an awesome time this year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘2013 MTB Holiday’ is closed to new replies.