Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2011 Bottlerocket
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

Hi all,

Has anyone seen a 2011 Transition Bottlerocket up close?
    I’m liking it over the Mega at the moment, specifically for the travel adjust. Does anyoen know how that works, or have any other general impressions? Shock options?

Anyone know where I can go and see one?

16stonepig
    Free Member

bump

(Ooh, I’ve never “bumped” before. It feels dirty.)

GW
    Free Member

why would you want travel adjust??

jedi

my mate has just got one. it rides the same as mine. he prefers it in the short setting too.
    shit bit is tapered headtube but it came with 11/8 domians.

GW
    Free Member

I’d rather have a lower leverage ratio over more travel any day too.
    adjustable travel (at the linkage) is something you’ll hardly ever use on a tough play/DH bike, and if you do it’s way more of a faff than just switching the shock pin setting.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Travel adjust would add a bit of tweakability.

Short setting for slightly more progressive action, mid/end-stroke support. This is for ragging around, trail-bike style days, would let you pop out of corners a bit more.

Long setting makes it slightly more linear and “coil-y”, can run more sag, for days where you are soaking up slightly bigger hits.

Don’t know if it would affect the BB height/head angle (which is why I was asking how it worked).

Marry up adjustable rear travel and my 140-160 forks up front and I would be getting a pretty flexible bike.

EDIT: I would probably keep it in the short setting most of the time, but having the option would be nice.

Rickos
    Free Member

Looking at this I’d say it was just a swap of position for the shock on the link.

16stonepig
    Free Member

That’s sort of what I thought, but the holes are different sizes.

Rickos
    Free Member

The bolt prolly screws into the link directly, so to switch travel the bolt needs screwing in from the other side as the big hold for the allen bolt end would make that part of the link too thin. Probably.

richc
    Free Member

Moving the linkage will more than likely seriously change the leverage ratio, so you will need to put a heavier spring when increasing the travel.

Not to bad if its using an air shock, total pain in the arse if you using a coil over.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Yes, was thinking air. RP23 or similar.

richc
    Free Member

If the leverage ratio is over 2.66 then you are going to need to put a lot of air if you are heavy, which in turn won’t make the bike ride very nicely.

5lab

richc – Member
    Moving the linkage will more than likely seriously change the leverage ratio, so you will need to put a heavier spring when increasing the travel.

Not to bad if its using an air shock, total pain in the arse if you using a coil over

well, yes and no. yes it will adjust the leverage ratio, but if you still want to run (say) 20% sag, won’t the old shock still sag by the same amount (but be 20% of the longer travel)?

that might not be right, but my head can’t figure it out

GW
    Free Member

I’d go and have a wee lie down 😉

richc
    Free Member

what GW said.

20% sag when the leverage ratio increased from 2.66 to 3 (typical values) will be more like 30% sag.

Which is fine for a dedicated downhill bike, however in reality you will be running 30% sag on your trail bike, so you are in the 40-45% sag territory and that’s before you hit a bump, so you are going to be smacking your pedals everywhere.

GW
    Free Member

That’s sort of what I thought, but the holes are different sizes.

looks like the shock pin threads straight into the linkage plate, in one position it threads in from drive side while the other threads in from non drive side. The design keeps it neat, negates the need for a nut and probably saves a little weight over other mounting options.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Definitely needs a test ride, I think.

I don’t exactly get how leverage ratios affect things. Anyone care to summarize?

EDIT:

20% sag when the leverage ratio increased from 2.66 to 3 (typical values) will be more like 30% sag.

Hang on. Some quick back-of-fag-packet calculations suggests that the ratio is 2.3:1 in short travel and 2.6 in long. That sound better?

richc
    Free Member

That sounds much better. If you are heavy anything with a leverage ratio over 2.66 I wouldn’t bother with, so that sounds fine.

Rickos
    Free Member

And with the same weight coil at those rates it’ll be sprightly in short travel and more saggy in long travel, which sounds like what you were after in your earlier post.

jedi

i got mine set up with a dhx air. rides lovely at herts. getting used to it not being the demo9 too 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2011 Bottlerocket’ is closed to new replies.