Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 2002 VW T4 Transporter, what should I look out for?
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Going to look at one this week. Any major gremlins to look out for in particular? Rust in hidden places etc?

Never had a VW van before, so no personal experience to fall back on.

Cheers

the00
    Free Member

A 17 year old van… almost everything and anything I should think. Sorry.

jam-bo

a shit respray, a shonky lowering kit, a ropey rock and roll bed, some internal LED’s and stellar mileage with ‘loads of life in her yet’.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Before you even look at it ask for proof of when the cam belt was last done. This is a £500 job that needs doing every 4/5 years so will have a large impact on the value of a 17 year old van.

cultsdave
    Free Member

For the same money I bet you could get something much newer!

brassneck

Rust should be OK if washed a bit over its life – mines 6 years older and barely a spot, never been welded for MOT etc.

Cambelt is a must. If you don’t have good evidence, factor doing it into pricing.

I had a real issue with glow plug relays and starting (why the previous owner sold it .. but I paid 2K for a very solid van so I bet on fixing it) – eventually traced to a faulty temp sender, clipped the pin off the 1351356346126th gp relay (most melted as they were locking on after post warm .. 40A thorugh it!!) and its been golden ever since. Keep meaning to do the sensor but apart from running a little rough for the first 5 minutes, it’s been solid.

Good road test to listen for suspension knocks and bangs, changing bits of that have been my biggest expense.

Check steering lock to lock .. probably worn.

Which engine? I have a 2.4 AAB – no turbo so slow, but reliable (or at least thats what I tell myself as I chug up the hills). On 180K now.

Mugboo

I own two 03 T4’s, both are 2.5tdi with tailgate. One has 189,000, the other has 176,000 and both have proved to be very reliable so I say good service history is very important as you would expect.
    All the above plus rusty rear arches. Both my vans have a bit of rust but its surely expected by now.

I can afford a more modern van but I prefer the simplicity of looking after the older ones and fully intend to keep them running as long as poss. I always say to my mechanic to do anything he thinks needs doing rather trying to scrimp…

Mugboo

And if you value ride quality avoid anything over 17″ wheelwise and Eibach 45mm springs works well.

Phil_H

Rust/rot on the front & rear cross members, sills, wheel arches, front jack points.
    Rear load sensing valve likely to be seized. Brakes probably shit.

ianpv
    Free Member

My 1999 has rust on the arches and one sill needed welding this year. A little rust around the windscreen/filler cap too. Agree with everyone up there about cam belt changes – mine is the 2.5tdi and has 180K on it and has never actually broken down, although plenty of minor things have needed fixing (mainly suspension related). I’ve had it since 2004, and I though paying £4500 for it was crazy then!

Simon

I’ve had two broken Eibach springs in 4 years. After the last one broke I managed to get a replacement pair under warranty.

brassneck

Wheels is a good shout – as ours is very much a tool for camping, biking, climbing etc. we stuck with 15″ steels – full size spare carried – the volume and load rating seems to have defeated the local pot hole fest that normally gets a tyre by now, and I’ve hammered a couple of dings out of them and its stayed air tight myself.

redstripe
    Free Member

A newer Toyota Hiace instead?

duncancallum

Gearbox noise

Cold smoking from injectors if it’s an 88bhp 2.5.

Knocking from front on potholes due to ball joints

Mines on 175k

Paul-B

If it’s a 1.9 TD (ABL engine) see if you can make sure that the crank pulley stretch bolt was changed when the cambelt was done. They are prone to this bolt loosening if not replaced which eventually leads to the keyway on the crank deforming which has the same effect as a broken cambelt. Speaking from experience on that one.

Also check the diesel pump on the same engine for leakage as the seals on the throttle spindle wear out and diesel leaks. Make sure it’s dry so you don’t have to fork out for a pump rebuild.

Everything else is checking for rust and damage. Check the floor as most likely it’ll be an ex builders van that’s been abused.

Rust around the windscreen, especially the top and around the sliding door opening is very common on these too.

Paul-B

I think they can also be prone to heater issues. The matrix on mine was clogged up and I also found the alternator belt was fitted incorrectly meaning the water pump spun the wrong way.

My van was sh*t if I’m honest lol

Potdog
    Free Member

I’m a bit limited on choice of available vans as looking for something on UK plates, with MOT on it and here in the Canary Islands. So far been offered this T4 which just arrived from the UK and a 20 year old Hiace, but the MOT runs out on the Hiace a few weeks too early for me.

Thanks for the pointers on main rust spots and cam belt costs though.

Mugboo

Duncancallum is right, I forgot, I’ve had the injectors done on one of them, the other seems fine.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘2002 VW T4 Transporter, what should I look out for?’ is closed to new replies.