Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2 Rockbands…need a mulitool
  • eyestwice
    Free Member

So I’ve ridden with a pack for *years*.

It’s so damn hot/uncomfortable now in even mildly warm weather that I’ve succumbed to a cage and bottle.

On top of that I’ve bought two Rockstraps, one from the Singletrack store and one plain black one from elsewhere.

So. First Rockstrap = tube & canister/head.

Second Rockstrap = multitool, wrapped in an old innertube. Quick links. And another canister plus some patches in case of a sidewall tear.

So what multitool do I need? I know it’s been asked a million times but I have a specific space in which it needs to fit. The bike in question is an Aeris 145 so with bottle in place, space is very tight.

It has to have both a chain tool and spoke key, along with the usual hex and a T25 torx.

It has to be rustproof which seemingly rules a number of options obsolete.

It also has to be made of unobtainium, have a negative mass and have bits as strong as Thor’s hammer.

Topeak seem to have the solution. But on paper Crankbrothers have some nice tools, albeit with some pretty bad reviews.

Any real-life experience and recommendations?

Tiger6791

What did you have in the backpack?

tjagain

I have had a topeak alien for years. Just works well. Great chain tool. Spoke key? I think its supposed to have one but I don’t see that it could be much use ntr can I see a need for one in your everyday kit

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Silca. They make a great Italian Army Knife.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

I went down the strapping stuff to my frame route – never got a decent solution so, not what you asked for, but I just bought the 2L Dakine Hotlaps a week back.

4 rides in now, and holy shit, its awesome, wish I’d got one years ago.

I’ve got a tube (in a box), massive multitool, tubeless plugs and gubbins, phone, sunnies, tyre levers, pump, quicklink, mars bar, headphones and a lightweight rain jacket in there, and another water bottle in the holster if i’m going far. Its waterproof, and I dont have to mess about wondering if its gonna scratch my frame, or switch it from bike to bike.

I Don’t get a grim, sweaty back, and dont have to compromise what I can take on a ride. More importantly I dont even feel like I’m wearing it.

modchop
    Free Member

Topeak Hexus X? I’ve been carrying/using one for two years and seems to cover what you require but I don’t how it’d cope being exposed to the elements full time as mine lives in a hip pack.

It’s reasonably compact and seems well built, scales double as tyre levers/spoke keys/chain tool driver, may be worth a look.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Hexus-X-Multi-Tool_121387.htm?sku=473553&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwi_b3BRAGEiwAemPNUyR6x2wfMqKsrI64GTAjmKRAdr5570TKwd_ICIYTlwz34eheokCxfBoCf6AQAvD_BwE

bikesandboots

Topeak Mini P20 is nice and compact. Has a master link tool and locking knife too.

ruggerbugger13

RATCHET ROCKET™ LITE NTX+ , bought one a couple of months ago. Perfect & I tuck some patches & chainlink in it too

reeksy

Oneup in a pump. All the tools and a great pump. Fits alongside the bottle. Spray the tools lightly in some lanolin-based lube so they don’t seize.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I recently got the Granite stash multi tool, it isn’t what I would choose to strip a bike down, but as and occasionally used tool for nipping things up it does a good job and it’s nice not having to take off a backpack or bumbag to reach it. Fits snuggly in the headtube, no issues with water ingress so far, but it’s expensive for what it is.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just re read the chain tool bit, so Granite is out unless you get the separate one to fit in the bars. I’ve considered this, but don’t want to lose my DMR Deathgrips which have a molded bar end. Currently I have a mt zoom chain tool in my tubeless repair box.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I use an EVOC bumbag, it’s great, don’t even feel it when riding, but I’m for an EDC tool when my lbs gets a tap back in stock for an even lighter escape. Carbon frame + west of scotland mud + frame straps are not for me.

Most of my riding now is an area of woods with 5 or 6 excellent descents and a nice wee climb back to the top, 20 minutes pedal from the house, the walk of shame wouldn’t take long. I think I’ll actually stash a tyre and a tube up there thinking about it, plenty spare. 🙂

akira

Wolftooth encase, not cheap but stores multi tool, chain tool, tubeless bits and quick links in bars.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

eBay for zip and fabric and a couple of hours on the sewing machine, space for everything you need:

ajantom

Do you have a zipped pocket?
    I use the Blackburn Big Switch tool. Comes in a slim wallet (but bigger than credit card size), has a chain tool, and the quality of the bits is excellent.
    Big Switch tool

Superficial
    Free Member

When did framebags go from dorky to OK again? I missed the memo.

I really like the oneUp edc. I’m sure the pump version works well but I went for the head tube one. Very discreet but instant access. Also has preloaded tyre bacon, quick link storage etc. Expensive, though.

reeksy

I bloody love my restrap Cotic frame bag. Gets the tube and other bits out of the way. I’ve got tapped forks on both mtbs for the EDC but realised when I borrowed someone else’s one-up pump how bloody good it is so got one of them. The tool slots in just like the headtube.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Thanks all. I like the Stash but I need to use it on two bikes so it’d be a faff. The Switch looks great so I may go for that.

Think I’ve sconvinced myself that I need a hip belt for longer rides, so I’m trying to track down a Hot Laps 2. I can’t find one anywhere, at least not in black. I’ll keep hunting…

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Bike treks Ings had them in, all colours and sizes last week. Looks to be in stock on the website.

£30 for the 2L

eyestwice
    Free Member

@gingerbllr You absolute legend, thank you! It took me ages to track the Blackburn down but finally found the ratchet version.

I’d given up onthe Hot Laps but now ordered 👍

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2 Rockbands…need a mulitool’ is closed to new replies.