Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2 Exposure light questions.
  • zippykona

My Diablo lasts one and a half longer rides home. Will charging it every night even though the indicator light is still green harm it?

Has anyone made a back up battery pack for one? I know Exposure do them but if there’s a £5 option I’d like to know before I buy one.

Kryton57

Zippy, contact Mark/Smudge at MTB batteries, I’m sure he can help you out.   See recent thread.

scotroutes

IIRC it’s a 4.2V battery pack you need. I’m sure you’d get one at MTB Batteries.

nixie

Charging before it’s flat shouldn’t hurt no.

Occasionally there are some deals on the smaller support cells if you look hard.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The whole point of exposure lights for me is that they’re self contained, plugging a battery in then defeats the purpose, really.

andypaul
    Free Member

Exposure recommend that the light is left on charge when not in use, regardless of what the charger is indicating. Apparently it helps the battery life.

scotroutes

The whole point of exposure lights for me is that they’re self contained, plugging a battery in then defeats the purpose, really.

Yeah. My Equinox came with the small Support Pack ( it was end-of-stock at Wiggle and actually cheaper than the Equinox without Support Pack). I never really use it though. The only time I’ve bothered with it was doing the CL300 when I knew I’d be doing a lot of night riding.

TiRed

I ride with a Joystick and carry a second in my back pocket. I got 2:45 till death starting on full power for my newest Mk12. The older one is lower power. I’ve used a small juice pack and their own USB cable for over-night riding whilst charging on the fly. To be honest, carrying a spare is a better solution for my night riding.

slowoldman

Blurb with mine suggests if not being used for a while, charge every month. So I think the answer is it’s OK to top them up.

Oh and this from their FAQs on the website:
    “You can charge the battery at any point in the discharge process and it will not harm the unit. You do not need to run the battery down before charging.”

BadlyWiredDog

Yes, leave it on charge. The last portion of the battery’s capacity is trickle-charged very slowly towards the end of the cycle after the green light goes on, I can remember reading. For some reason – high output / small-ish battery – this seems to be particularly crucial with the Diablo.

Q:What should I do if my light is not lasting as long as expected
    A: To ensure maximum charge is achieved we recommend the lights are left on charge for a while after 100% is displayed (you cannot damage or overcharge the battery). Please make sure the light is fully charged and then reselect the desired program before use to see if this rectifies the issue. If this does not help then please contact our service team on service@use.group and we can best advise how to proceed.

Snudge made me a faux-Exposure back-up battery a few years ago, still going fine. The one plus of the Exposure single cell back-up is that you can mount it super neatly on the back of a helmet. The downside is that it uses the Smartport, so you can’t then also use a remote switch or any other accessory AND the battery. You also need to connect it from the start rather than adding it when the main battery goes south. it’s effectively charging the main light battery as you go, I think.

There’s a whole bunch of other stuff in the Exposure FAQ section:
    https://exposurelights.com/frequently-asked-questions

Q: My light appears to be losing charge when not in use, what can I do?
    A: We have found that unplugging (or turning off) the charger before removing the charger jack from the light can cause a circuitry component to pull current when unplugged resulting in a slow drain of charge. Unplugging the charger jack from the light before turning off or unplugging the charger from the mains should stop this happening.

zippykona

I actually sell these in my shop. Would this charge my diablo?

footflaps

My Diablo lasts one and a half longer rides home. Will charging it every night even though the indicator light is still green harm it?

Li-ion batteries are fine to charge when not fully depleted. The older NiCd / NiMH rechargeables were less happy about being charged when not fully depleted (memory effect), which is why people still worry about it.

honourablegeorge

Nobeerinthefridge

The whole point of them for me is that they light up the trail ahead. The light running out of battery kind of defeats that purpose, as I found out last night. I think I’ll be buying a support cell for mine.

nixie

That FAQ entry sounds like a bug in the driver circuit. Bit lame to post a work around rather than fix it!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or, you’ve bought the wrong light for your requirements.

My nightrides rarely last longer then 2 hours, so my Diablo on full tilt covers this. I don’t bother with a light on the bars either, only ever ride with a helmet light as I want to see where I’m looking, not where the bikes pointing.

YMMV.

honourablegeorge

Nobeerinthefridge

Or, you’ve bought the wrong light for your requirements.

My nightrides rarely last longer then 2 hours, so my Diablo on full tilt covers this. I don’t bother with a light on the bars either, only ever ride with a helmet light as I want to see where I’m looking, not where the bikes pointing.

YMMV.

Definitely a case of YMMV – my fully-charged Diablo died on me on a two hour spin last night, and I only ran it full tilt for the downs. This may not be a good sign.

BadlyWiredDog

That FAQ entry sounds like a bug in the driver circuit. Bit lame to post a work around rather than fix it!

You’d hope they’ve probably fixed it on current lights and, in all honesty, if you have a light which is going flat between charges, it’s not really that big a deal to just make sure the charger is still switched on when you pull the plug out of the light. On balance I’d rather they posted this than not.

If you do have the issue, I suspect they’d fix it for you if you ask. My experience of Exposure customer service is that they’re generally really positive and helpful.

(As a Diablo / Joystick owner, I can happily manage without the former, mostly I carry it as a bar-light / helmet light dual back-up / a super bright, wide-beamed helmet light for gnarly things / in all honesty, I’ve always found the Diablo’s burn-time slightly disappointing, but it’s a 2nd generation one, so maybe the new ones are better and can be run more on lower settings. Always prefer the spotty Joystick beam for helmet use, but as a lightweight emergency night-riding combo, Diablo on the bars / Joystick on the head works pretty well. And breathe…)

nixie

A diablo doesn’t get close to 2 hours on full tilt. They claim 1 hour currently (claimed 1.15 when I got mine). I’m my experience your lucky of you get that. Even toggling mine it fails around 1.30 normally. It also annoyingly forgets the mode choice (I like the 2 step hi/lo option) all the time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A diablo doesn’t get close to 2 hours on full tilt

Aye, my bad, I use it on prog 3 IIRC, which is still enough for the likes of Ae off piste style trails, and gets me 2 hours.

FWIW I generally have an old mk7 joystick in my bumbag for emergence duties, as it’s not worth selling and not really up to proper night riding.

If I was buying now, I’d buy the latest generation Joystick though, far more focused beam, the Diablo is a bawhair floody.

zippykona

How long can you run your Diablo on max before the red light comes on? Mine is 30 minutes does that sound right?

I used the battery pack I pictured above to charge my Joystick. It charged it really quickly but once the green light came on the front light started flashing even though it wasn’t turned on .  What does that mean?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2 Exposure light questions.’ is closed to new replies.