2 degree headset on a rigid singlespeed?

Home Forum Bike Forum 2 degree headset on a rigid singlespeed?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2 degree headset on a rigid singlespeed?
  • My Salsa El Mariachi needs new headset bearings (yet again) and Works Components have 20% off making an EC44-EC44 1/1.5/2 degree headset £55. Given that new bearings for the current headset will be £15+, the upgrade cost is only £40.

Factory head-angle is 71 degrees, will I ruin it or make it better? Anyone done it?

Can’t see a downside myself

Rorschach

I was going to do it on my El Mariachi.But I quite enjoy the ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod once I’ve stop crying.

Can’t see a downside myself

Slightly shorter reach is a given, I think I can live with that. Potential for detrimental effect on handling is the gamble?

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

I may be living in the 90s still, but personally I’d go for the 73 degree head angle 🙂

Stooge is 69 degrees, so I guess that is a good start!

Rorschach

Been there,done that.
    Original scandal was 72.Add a 440 AC fork and bingo…..73 degree HA’d death machine.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

For a long while I had a (stiff as fk) 395mm fork on an Inbred, which must have made the head angle at least 72 degrees if not 73. It was awesome, like riding a Tron bike through singletrack. Even took it to Morzine and les Gets one year and it was a complete blast 🙂

Rorschach

(or any early Niner)

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

Blimey.

I think a steep head angle worked for me because my bike was “too small”, ie I had a short reach and stack so I was basically always on the front. That thing looks… quite different 🙂

Hang on, I am going to slacken it out by 2 degrees… not make it steeper!

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

I know, we just borrowed your thread for a while 😉

Premier Icon Andy R
    Subscriber

I’d do it, -2 degrees if you can. It’d be even better if you can get some forks with about 55mm offset.

Ordered a -2 and a dropper post 😈

Slightly shorter reach is a given, I think I can live with that. Potential for detrimental effect on handling is the gamble?

The reach won’t get any shorter – the slacker front will drop the headtube forwards and down, cancelling out the rearward offset on the upper cup.

First ride since fitting the -2 headset and I was impressed! Didn’t expect to notice much difference, but the front end feels quite a bit calmer/more stable with no noticeable downsides.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.