Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2.6 Tyres vs Plus?
  • LMT
    Free Member

New bike ordered, it will take a 650b plus but the cost of new wheels cassette etc…slightly putting me off, I was going to run a 2.8 plus.

Looking online I can get the bonty xr4 in a 2.6 and technically I have clearance in the frame, the bigger up the range stumpys come with 2.6 while mine comes in 2.3 ground controls.

Will I notice th difference between plus and just a little less? Can I run them at lower pressures? Anyone else run 2.6? Will I get the traction I’ve been seeing on my plus bike?

letmetalktomark

The only experience with 2.6” tyres is in 29” flavour and Nobby Nics.

They were a bit bigger than a 2.4” but not much – certainly a fair way off 2.8” and 3.0”

Pressure and traction stuff will largely be dictated by rim width.

Rubber_Buccaneer

bigger up the range stumpys come with 2.6

My experience of Specialized 2.6 tyres is they are about as fat as a Maxxis 2.4 and not comparable to a plus tyre at all.  I wouldn’t use them as a guide to another manufacturers 2.6

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Run 2.6 Magic Mary addix soft front and rear … on a PLUS bike.

2.8 or 3.0 inch rubber I don’t like too much.

I use 35 mm rims (FunWorks from actionsports.de) and run the 2.6 inch tyres around 19 psi. Downhill, over rough stuff: incredible!

That’s my fun bike now.

On long and fast mtb tours without technical demanding stuff I take my 2.3 inch tyre bike… – the 2.6 Magic Marys are grip monsters – but they have drag as well…

2.6 tyre development: tons and tons of new great tyres in this size!

bri-72

I’m running 2.6 rear as my frame isn’t boost and won’t take any more. Running on a normal rim.

But am running proper 2.8 plus on wide 45 rim on front. Works well and avoids too much of a penny farthing look!

davosaurusrex

Put a 2.8 exo DHR on the back on my ebike and found it too vague, also casing not strong enough but both might be related to the weight of the bike.

Got a 2.6 ebike rated Magic Mary on the front now and a 2.5 DHF DoubleDown on the back which is much better. Wouldn’t go bigger than the MM in future

dskelly81
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.8 magic Mary up front & a 2.8 specialized Slaughter on the rear.

Fantastic combo.   So much lateral grip with psi in the mid teens.  Much less draggy than I expected but wouldn’t want to do 40+ miles on them

BadlyWiredDog

Blimey, there seems to be a 2.6″ Rock Razor… yes please 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I briefly ran a 2.6 Magic Mary – didn’t offer enough benefit over a 2.4 Ardent. A 2.6″ tyre is nothing like a true 3″ plus tyre

LMT
    Free Member

Guess will bite the bullet and get a new wheelset…just no cheap options…

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

just no cheap options…

if you like: check the configuration page for custom-wheels from actionsports.de

Guess they don’t have a “sale” right now in summer time – but ordered there my 35 mm rims (FunWorks) / DT 370 wheels for my 2.6 tyres.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2.6 Tyres vs Plus?’ is closed to new replies.