Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2-3 day predominantly off-road touring/gravel route in Wales?
  • core

A friend and I are contemplating a bit of an adventure, I have drunk the kool-aid and have a gravel bike, he has a tourer, but would like to avoid roads as much as possible. I’m in the Welsh Marches, he’s North Wales so something to link the two perhaps, the top 2/3 of the country anyway.

We’ve both rallied in Wales fairly extensively so know it well, and could just plan something from maps, but wondered if there’s any must-do sections of the national cycle network or particularly good ‘gravel’ type riding etc that we ought to incorporate rather than just plodding through forestry for hours on end?

breninbeener

Have you seen the Xdurowales route on the Racing Collective website. Im in Snowdonia and i really enjoyed it

gruffj
    Free Member

The area around Llyn Brianne would be perfect for this. Miles and miles of virtually deserted tarmac, with plenty of scope for gravel sections.

Further north, I particularly enjoyed the NCN loop between Machynlleth and Dolgellau. There is a particularly tasty gravel section on the west side of the loop over the mountain. The mountain road south from Machynlleth is also stunning.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Again near Dolgellau maybe look at incorporating some of the Mawddach Big 8?

http://www.mawddachestuary.co.uk/cycling/mawddach-big-8.html

For a rider to be considered as one of the MB-8 elite, the journey should be done as two back to back 1-day rides, the North Loop and the South Loop. Double-Loopers will do them back to back on the same day.

Top tip – I’ve been been working out a ‘big day’ gravel loop in the Cader Idris area. Am finding that Google Earth app is of late showing a few more unsurfaced sections at the ‘street view level‘ (if you click the little person and zoom in, looking for blue lines and also ‘photosphere‘ locations showing as blue dots) Currently only showing the odd section and often just the tarmac section up until it peters out into a track, yet I find very useful when scoping stuff out from the armchair.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

What about the Trans-Cambrian Way? May have to tailor ie bypass some of the singletrack for your mates tourer

https://bikepacking.com/routes/trans-cambrian-way/

TheBrick
    Free Member

We did the Abergavenny -> Shrewsbury national cycle route. Quite route mix of road and gravel but there was some extra more off road diversions. We did it very relaxed but I think 2 days would be a nice comfortable time with time for one lazy camp

core

Thanks for the suggestions, TCW is something I’d like to do, but I’ll save it for the Cotic Flare and have a proper go again I think.

Aber – Shrewsbury is lovely I’m sure but I’m afraid I’d know most of it, that really is my back yard!

burko73

For everyone’s interest a couple of yrs ago here in the new forest the national park hooked up with google and google mapped the whole of the gravel track cycle network. That means you can drag the little man onto the network and see what the surface and scenery is like. I had an idea that other national parks did the same?

fatmountain
    Free Member

Defo the Trans-Cambrium. Start in Newton and cycle south to join the route if you want to drive (easy to park outside station and get train back from Mac).

cloggy

I’d not do do the TCW on a touring bike. Sure it can be done, but a fair few sections would not be pleasant.

fenboy

Hi just reigniting this thread as planning a 2/3 day trip in September and looking for single day rides or a 2 day?
    Gravel bikes so mix of road and off road but emphasis on off road? Has anyone done the mawddach big8 is this mainly road??? Looking for challenging distance nice scenery etc but not necessarily going too tech that would be more MTB orientated.

Any feedback or if you guys managed to get something pulled together would be appreciated?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2-3 day predominantly off-road touring/gravel route in Wales?’ is closed to new replies.