Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2.25 or 2.35 tyres – will it make a difference?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

As above really. Looking for new tyres for my Maccatuskil and my gut is saying that 2.25 will be better for local xc duties but unfortunately the tyres I want are only in stock in 2.1 or 2.35. Will going for the 2.35 be that much different from my go-to size of 2.25?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

about 0.05 difference

Your tyre pressure will have more affect, run them tubeless and low @20psi and you might be surprised at what a little extra grip can do in terms of speed

swoosh
    Free Member

Good point. Think 20psi might be too low for me

BruceWee

I’m assuming that the 2.25 and the 2.35 are different makes of tyre. If so then the stated size probably bears only a passing relation to the actual size.

Edit: just re-read your post. What make of tyre are you looking at where they have 2.1, 2.25, and 2.35?

swoosh
    Free Member

No, they’re the same make and model, just a different size.

BruceWee

What make and model? I’m just interested because a 0.1 inch jump just seems really unusual to me. Normally I would expect something like 2.1, 2.35, 2.5.

swoosh
    Free Member

Vittoria Barzo TNT 29er

https://www.vittoria.com/tire/barzo/

edhornby

I’d be amazed if I could spot the difference between a tenth of an inch…

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I run on my bikes different tyres – and in different size – front / back.

Example: 29 x 2.2 mountain king protection rear, 29 x 2.35 hans dampf trailstar front. Other bikes similar, rear a bit more narrow, front wider tyre (but really different tire brands).

The difference: huge.

Your application: a bit different from this.

But if your frame allows it: try 2.35 (and not the 2.1 you are talking about)

(And yes – guess the 2.25 and 2.35 are really different…)

DickBarton

The marketing department will have you believe it is the difference between life and death, but suspect it will have very little difference as the tyre pressure will have more impact. The slightly wider one may ‘float’ more on mud and the narrower one may cut through the mud more, but I doubt it will be massively different.

BruceWee

I think once you start comparing different brands then you have no idea what the sizes are until you actually get them on your rim, ride them for a while to let them stretch out, and then measure them with a calliper (and decide whether you’re measuring the carcass or the knobs since the manufacturers haven’t decided on a standard way of doing it yet).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2.25 or 2.35 tyres – will it make a difference?’ is closed to new replies.