Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 1×10 conversion parts
  • murf
    Free Member

Hi all!
    I have an 08 Stumpjumper and a 96 Kona Cinder Cone. The drive train on the Stumpy is overdue a replacement and I started collecting parts to replace it all a while ago.
    I was idly thinking today about converting both to 1x systems as I rarely use the big ring and never use the granny ring. In fact i removed the granny ring from the Kona about 10 years ago, I guess that makes me a trend setter!

So as far as I can see i need:

Kona: 1×9
    11-32 cassette (got a new one already)
    32t ring for middleburn RS2 c/set
    chain (got)
    9 speed shifter (got on Stumpy)
    single ring c/set bolts
    chain device for 28.6 seat tube

Stumpjumper: 1×10
    11-36 10 speed cassette
    10 sp chain
    34t ring (hollowtech 2)
    10 sp shifter
    single ring c/set bolts
    chain device (direct mount)

So, my questions are:
    Will a 9 speed cassette fit on an 8 speed freehub body?

Will i need a 10 speed rear mech for my Stumpy? Would i be better buying a clutch mech/thick thin ring than using a chain device?

Do the gear ratio’s look ok? I currently use a 34t/11-30 cassette on the Kona and rarely struggle on climbs ( I just climb out of the saddle.) So should I run a 32t/11-36 on the stumpjumper?

What chain devices are good for XC stuff?

If you have stayed awake so far, well done!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will a 9 speed cassette fit on an 8 speed freehub body?

Yes

Will i need a 10 speed rear mech for my Stumpy? Would i be better buying a clutch mech/thick thin ring than using a chain device?

10sp Mech for 10sp Cassette
    2nd part depends, something like a e-13 device with lower bash ring will protect you from striking the ring. Though many report thick/thin & clutch work well too

Do the gear ratio’s look ok? I currently use a 34t/11-30 cassette on the Kona and rarely struggle on climbs ( I just climb out of the saddle.) So should I run a 32t/11-36 on the stumpjumper?

Depends entirely on you, your legs and where you ride. From my point of view they look a bit low but if you can spin very fast then it will probably work fine.

murf
    Free Member

Cheers, any idea the difference between 9 and 10 speed mechs? It’s a sram X0 thats on it.

I guess the gearing is all subjective. I tend not to spin gears and prefer to stand up and push a bigger gear at lower rpm if I get tired sitting. All riding is in Scottish highland, mostly uppy/downy swoopy singletrack. Might try a 32 as I already have one and see how I get on!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’t pull ratios that make the difference, move your 9sp to the Kona and get new 10sp. If you want clutch then you have to go 10 sp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘1×10 conversion parts’ is closed to new replies.