Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1x on a road bike with rim brakes
  • petefromearth

Got an old cyclo-cross bike which is mainly ridden around town. I’m replacing the drivetrain and wondered about going 1x.

Is there such a thing as 1x specific STIs that can be used with rim brakes?

I obviously could buy any shifters and just not use the LH one

kerley
    Free Member

SRAM have loads of options from Red and Force AXS right down to Apex 1

rOcKeTdOg

GRX do a 1x or dropper specific LH shifter but you’ll probably have to wait until spring next year for those, covid permitting.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I asked a similar question when considering 1×11 and cable discs. General consensus seemed to be use 2×11 shifters and just not use the left.

rOcKeTdOg

GRX do a 1x or dropper specific LH shifter but you’ll probably have to wait until spring next year for those, covid permitting.

Disc only you numpty!

mick_r

You can also easily remove the sram lh shift paddle from a regular 2x set if it annoys you (a 2x set is often cheaper).

petefromearth

GRX is hydraulic only but looks like SRAM rival would work if I can find any in stock

kerley
    Free Member

SRAM have loads of options from Red and Force AXS right down to Apex 1

Guessing you all missed by response?
    Loads of SRAM options, from expensive to cheap, as SRAM were into 1x way ahead of Shimano who are still only really half into it.

13thfloormonk

TRP do some nice RRL levers, including a carbon fibre one 😍

I run 1x on my gravel bike but with cable rim brakes, only annoyance is the difference in lever pull between TRP and Shimano.

I’m trying some Spyres right now and there is a noticeable difference in lever pull/pad clearance and associated rubbing and grinding from the rear in the mud, although it was less noticeable using cantis/mini-Vs

bikesandboats
    Free Member

You could use a bar end shifter then whatever brake levers you want/ already have?

Microshift make bar end shifters for road and mountain rear mechs

doglover
    Free Member

I use one of these on the left for my commuter

Shimano Road BL-R400

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1x on a road bike with rim brakes’ is closed to new replies.