Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1x 180mm cranks options?
  • ciquta
    Free Member

I’ve done my math and I believe I’d be better with 180mm cranks for my long lengs (36″ inseam).

However it looks like there are not many options for my 1×11 gravel grinder, the only cranks I can find are Shimano XT. No sram no praxis no raceface…?? Other options?

Are they good for a (little) bit more roadie setup than usual MTB? I go mostly on paved and light gravel and keep a 34T upfront for what it matters.

So far I have no “Shimano” on my bike and I’m quite proud of it

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member
    ciquta
    Free Member

thanks but I don’t know any of those products

how are they worth 3 times as much as old Shimano XT?

I wonder if nobody at Sram is over 6’4″..

Lionheart
    Free Member

http://www.whiteind.com/crankg30

I like these because look like works of Engineering art, maybe a little classic looking but that suits me as well.

I run 180mm on my single speed, and have a 32” leg. Think it makes a difference but lots of research now says doesn’t make one or much of one to most people.
    I just thought, longer cranks, so more leverage, using body weight more etc. Now have 165mm on my Enduro bike, I rarely notice the shorter cranks but do notice, at least initially on a ride, the longer ones.

sillyoldman

So far I have no “Shimano” on my bike and I’m quite proud of it

You really shouldn’t be.

nedrapier

thanks but I don’t know any of those products

how are they worth 3 times as much as old Shimano XT?

Good question. Shimano cranks are really very good products for the money they cost. Strength, weight and functionality is very hard to beat at each groupset price point, which is why so many people can’t see the point in paying 3x the price for something that isn’t necessarily any better.

tall_martin

I’m 6″4 with 36″ inside leg

I run last generation xtr 180mm (m9020)on my hardtail,
    xt 175mm (m8000) my full suss.
    Fsa 170mm on my road bike.

I don’t notice a difference between the cranks. I thought I would as I’m picky about loads of things, (or possibly I’m a total sucker for marketing). The xtr were cheap in a sale. I definitely do not notice any weight difference as I don’t repeat any long rides regularly on different bikes.

I do notice that the xtr is a specific chain ring size, different to xt.

Things that have gone wrong with shimano cranks over the last 20 years for me- a square taper crank arm rounded- user error. A crank bolt got stuck- user error.

I would change the FSA to shimano on the road bike, but in 4 years nothing has gone wrong with that either.

Try a 180mm, maybe you will notice a difference, maybe you won’t. If you try it you will know. If you don’t you will always wonder what if…

LS
    Free Member

I’ve used 180s for years across road/CX/MTB and the general options are:

Dura Ace
    XTR
    XT
    Campag Record
    Rotor 3D+ (now out of production I think)
    Cheap SRAM/Truvativ sometimes have a 180 option
    ‘Better’ SRAM such as Red you can get in 177.5 although it’s a struggle

Edit – overall, you really can’t beat Shimano…

ciquta
    Free Member

ok then I’ll go with XT for the cranks

XT is also a good choice for the BB or you have better suggestions?

slowoldman

Interesting to read this in conjunction with today’s thread “Who’s using 165mm cranks?”

ciquta
    Free Member

Interesting to read this in conjunction with today’s thread “Who’s using 165mm cranks?”

we are so different in sizes and needs, impossible to think we can all fit into 5mm range (99% are 170-175mm)

I believe crank arm length is one of the most undervalued fit in this industry

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1x 180mm cranks options?’ is closed to new replies.