Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 1999 Klein Attitude or is it?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

Hello everyone,

I’ve got a question about Klein Attitude frames. I know a 1999 attitude may be a ‘real’ Klein but in your experience were the cables internally routed?

I’ve seen one that has triple cable guides on the top of the top tube. I’ve seen the odd Pulse frame on the bay that has this routing system but I find it weird.

The paint, welds, bulging head tube and graphics suggest it’s legit, but it’s the cable routing that makes me doubt it.

So my question is this, is it a real frame and would you buy one with a ding in the top tube like this?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It looks like a real one to me, I think the Adroit ones had the internal cable routing.

Could be wrong though. Speaking of which, I used to have a sneaky go on the Adroit in the bike shop I worked at in about 1996. Good times.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had one.

The cables were internal.

it was the first year with a replaceable dropout too, but they didn’t reinforce where it attached so they pretty much all snapped.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Old dented single colour frame that rides harsher than a harsh thing?

No I wouldn’t buy it. Kleins are nice looking hack bikes with the right paint job but that’s it AFAIK. The hype seems a little weird to me.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yeah, I wouldn’t buy unless cheap and then I’d use it as a commuter or something.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I would guess it is a real one just a trek one rather than a pre trek one, I think they dropped a lot of the klein features once trek bought them, but I might be wrong.
    I had a Klein pulse II which had an almost identical dent, lasted for year…think it’s still fine. Mine was declared just a cosmetic dent and not structural by the klein dealer.

Retrobike.co.uk would be your best bet to get a proper answer tho.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Looks like a Klien Pulse to me. It’s even the correct colour for that year (or close to it). My mate had one and dented it in the same spot when a car wiped him out.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My old Attitude had internal cables..
    And it was pink/white/lime green..
    I miss it.

jhw
    Free Member

anyone know where I can get a pink/white/green Attitude? I know they’re silly money now

I recall from an earlier thread that genuine Kleins stopped 1996, 1997 ones are quasi legit, 1998 are Trek

mefty
    Free Member

I bought an Adroit in late 1999 (2000 model), it was post takeover but still made in the old factory, it has the usual klein features but I am pretty sure attitudes didn’t that year, so the absence of internal cables would not surprise me in 1999.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

hmm looks dodgy to me.

I think trek bought out klein in late 95/early 96.

My 97 attitude is still chehalis built and teh 98 model was similar, I think 1999 they got fat and started weighing more than 3 lb. which could be the year they moved to wisconsin. but i think the attitude always had internal routing.

i bet it’s a rebadged pulse. <spits>

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I eat my words, I am wrong!

mefty
    Free Member

Look a match for this one on retrobike

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

I’ve asked on Retrobike as well, I didn’t think it was a ‘proper’ Klein anyway but at least I know it’s not fake but Trek Klein. Didn’t know about the dropout cracking 😯

Might see if he’ll accept a low offer.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

My missus has a 1999 Attitude, identical in colour, graphics and cable stops as the OP pic, IIRC it was the Attitude Comp, whilst the Attitude Race was black.

This is a post Trek model (earlier and later ones had internal routing (pain in the arse if you ask me).

Those tubes are well thin, I would think its well on its way to scrap.

Dropouts on her’s are great, I believe the biggest problem with them was if they were run with a disc brake for which you need an adapter.

Oh, and the replaceable dropout is a weird one.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

RE: value

Was thinking about selling my wifes frame as she’s moved onto full sus – was advised it’s probably worth about £100 so she decided to keep it as a decoration on our bedroom wall.

Would have to be bloody cheap with a ding like that.

eyerideit
    Free Member

supersessions9-2 – Member
    hmm looks dodgy to me.

I think trek bought out klein in late 95/early 96.

My 97 attitude is still chehalis built and teh 98 model was similar, I think 1999 they got fat and started weighing more than 3 lb. which could be the year they moved to wisconsin. but i think the attitude always had internal routing.

i bet it’s a rebadged pulse. <spits>

Production moved in 2002. My 2001 attitude is one of the last ‘not a real Kleins’ to be made in the real Klein’ Factory When I grow up I’ll buy myself a real Klein with a crazy paint job – just for bragging rights!

Like this:

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

My old ’99 Attitude Race was made in the Klein factory before they moved and didn’t have internal routing. Sold the complete bike on ebay for £280 so I wouldn’t pay £100 for a damaged frame like that.
    Pic here if you’re interested
    http://www.zen202900.zen.co.uk/pics/Klein/IMG_2244.JPG

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘1999 Klein Attitude or is it?’ is closed to new replies.