• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by igm.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 18650 go BANG! :o(
  • GW
    Free Member

plugged in my charger last night and a bright flash, big bang little puff of smoke and tripped all the sockets in the house… Why?

Battery was a trustfire protected one (Blue) and it’s only the second time it’s been charged, I was using the charger with a universal adapter, is it possible to get the polarity wrong?

Any ideas?

got it all from DX at in December.

snaps
    Free Member

If you mean battery polarity then the protection circuit in the battery should prevent problems but if you mean mains polarity then that won’t matter – can you identify exactly where the smoke came from?

GW
    Free Member

smoke def came from charger, opened it up and the circuit board’s black (burnt) all over the mains plug socket end

GW
    Free Member

oh, will the battery have died too?

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh dear, I’ve gotta say I do get the fear with these batterys, that said I do ride around with one on my bars (kind parallel with my wedding tackle) and another tied to my head, both in metal tubes with no obvious sudden "pressure release" capability, essentially a potential pair of pipe bombs!

but hey, times like this I often ask myself: What would WCA do? 😀

GW
    Free Member

learn to read MrNutt. ;oP
    the charger went bang! not the battery.
    ambiguously titled to get noticed and hopefully replies ;o)

snaps
    Free Member

Sounds like a component failure in the charger, I’ve got 2 different DX chargers & not had a problem – I’d just buy another as they’re cheap enough.
    Battery should be OK can you check it with a voltmeter?

twohats
    Free Member

GW, its not unheard of for the batteries to spontaneously to let go or "vent" as its known, in use!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

mine have been fine thus far. That said, the 18650 batteries do have a history and reputation of being "explosive", so I’ve always been slightly sceptical of them. My charger has been ok though.

personally, I wouldn’t use the batteries that were in the charger when it went.

GW
    Free Member

without the "scaremongering" can anyone explain what happens to these Batteries when they "vent"?

snaps
    Free Member
    GW
    Free Member

Ta Snaps.

I’ll read that later.

off out on the bike now while it’s sunny :O)

Anthony
    Free Member

I had a pair of GP NiMh ‘vent’ inside a Fenix 2D. All that happened was the rubber cover over the switch inflated slightly. All was fine when the battery cover was removed and the pressure released. Battery no longer holds it’s full capacity now.

snaps
    Free Member

Yes most of the venting incidents will be very minor & the battery will just fail to work, don’t be alarmed by the videos on youtube as people only want to video dramatic things.

twohats
    Free Member
    igm

It’s not unknown for this sort of stuff to be spec’d on the old european voltage stabdard (230 +/-6%) rather than either the old UK spec (240 +/-6%) or the new pan-european including the UK spec (230 +10%/-6%). When they changed the standard they changed it in such a way that we in the electricity companies didn’t need to do anything, old equipment would still work but equipment suppliers had to increase the tolerance that their kit would work over. If they didn’t then someties things fail.

That said I am assuming there is a decent regulated power supply in most chargers (they’re pretty cheap) and it would surprise me if one I bought failed.

So maybe it was just a duff one – contact the seller and see if they’ll honour whatever king of warranty a Hong Kong internet seller provides.

Iain

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘18650 go BANG! :o(’ is closed to new replies.