Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 265 total)
  • 18/09/2014.
  • zokes
    Free Member

However it’s pretty unlikely that they would strip EU citizenship from several million citizens.

No different that stripping several million people of British citizenship, no?

Also, if Scotland suddenly gets kicked out of the EU, why should the rest of the UK automatically stay in?

The rest of the UK is not the part becoming independent, and is not the part that would have to renegotiate. I think the term is “continuing state”.

There seems to be bafflingly little certainty around this seeing as it’s possibly going to be the most important issue for a newly independent Scotland. A bit of googling found this, which is as clear as mud:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-21601242

However, the EU president’s ‘hypothetical’ comments make it pretty clear that there would be no free ride. Scotland’s response is downright worrying – hoping for common sense to prevail!

Also, it’s not that unique a situation – take a look at the Basque country. I suspect that at least Spain would be pretty wary about Scottish independence and admission to the EU setting a precedent.

epicyclo

The real question is what name the remainder of the current UK would have.

It can’t be UK because there’s only one kingdom* left.
    It can’t be Great Britain because it’s only half the island.

Londonitania?

Edit: forgot the Kingdom of Man

bencooper
    Free Member

The whole “continuing state” thing is problematic – if Scotland is a new state not a continuing state, then we would inherit none of the national debt. New country, start from scratch. I can’t see that being popular. The only other possibility is both countries are continuing states, so on an equal footing regards the EU.

By unique, I mean it’s not happened before – it might set a precedent for Basque independence, but there’s no precedent for this, apart from maybe the separation of Czechoslovakia.

bencooper
    Free Member

The real question is what name the remainder of the current UK would have.

Little Britain.

yossarian
    Free Member

As a southern Englishman I’d be sad to see the union broken, but perhaps its just sentimentality. I totally accept the argument that many Scots feel that it’s not right that London governs their affairs. I reckon if I was Scottish I’d vote yes.

I think the future for the whole island could be defined by this vote, I hope that, whatever the result is, those on the losing side are able to accept and live with the decision.

Our two country’s past, present and future are woven together, I hope that isn’t overlooked by nationalist attitudes and policies from both sides of the border.

bencooper
    Free Member

Indeed – think of the still strong relationships between most countries of the Commonwealth. Even with independence, Scotland would still be very closely linked to the rest of the UK.

epicyclo

I don’t think the “continuing state” will be a problem in real life.

There’s lots of points that can be made, eg Scotland has always been treated as a separate entity, there has been a recognised border since before Union, it has always had a separate legal system amongst others.

bencooper
    Free Member

And in fact technically, thanks to Margaret Ewing, the Scottish parliament is a continuation of the parliament that was dissolved in 1707.

zokes
    Free Member

The whole “continuing state” thing is problematic – if Scotland is a new state not a continuing state, then we would inherit none of the national debt. New country, start from scratch. I can’t see that being popular. The only other possibility is both countries are continuing states, so on an equal footing regards the EU.

It is quite conceivable that negotiations between Westminster and Scotland result in domestic affairs being separated with resources and debts being shared, whilst the EU itself still considers Scotland to be a new entity. I can’t see any logical reason why the treaty of separation between the rest of the UK and Scotland would have any mandatory impact on the EU’s decision regarding Scotland’s accession. I can see that it might have impact, but I think it’s highly unlikely that Scotland will be ‘just let in’ on the basis that it’s dealing with its share of the UK’s sovereign debt and assets.

Ultimately how assets and debts get shared is between Westminster and Holyrood, whereas entry into the EU is between Holyrood and Brussels. Two different issues, which might have some relation on each other, but I don’t think a certain outcome on one equates to a certain outcome on the other.

bencooper
    Free Member

A more pertinent question is will the rest of the UK still be in the EU in a few years? With the rise of UKIP and Cameron’s in/out referendum, perhaps the best way for Scotland to stay in the EU is independence.

zokes
    Free Member

A more pertinent question is will the rest of the UK still be in the EU in a few years?

It’s an important question, yes, but just a distraction to the discussion at hand. One for its own thread, perhaps?

althepal

Relevant in the context of The discussion though!

scotroutes

The position of the EU is that they will only give a definitive answer if asked to by the UK government
    David Cameron has ruled this out. Why would he do that if he thought it would provide ammunition for the No campaign?

althepal

Cos he’s feart?

Northwind

I didn’t know that, interesting… It is one of the elephants in the room isn’t it, lots of people have opinions, even official ones but it’s the sort of thing that you should be able to get a solid answer on.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

As a englishman I’d like the opportunity for a UK wide referendum as to whether we should continue to accomadate scotland within the union.

bencooper
    Free Member

Simple answer: if Greece, Ireland and Portugal can get in, then allowing Scotland in is a no-brainer.

bencooper
    Free Member

As a englishman I’d like the opportunity for a UK wide referendum as to whether we should continue to accomadate scotland within the union.

Accommodate? Scotland subsidises the rest of the UK.

zokes
    Free Member

Why would he do that if he thought it would provide ammunition for the No campaign?

No idea, but it’s not like he’s renowned for joined up thinking

bencooper
    Free Member

This is the bit I don’t get. What’s in it for the Tories? Why on earth do they want to keep us Labour-voting Scots hanging around so much?

zokes
    Free Member

Simple answer: if Greece, Ireland and Portugal can get in, then allowing Scotland in is a no-brainer.

Greece, Ireland and Portugal were already separate entities and members before the GFC. Scotland isn’t.

Northwind

ohnohesback – Member

That’s nice. But I don’t think you quite understand the meaning of “self determination”. Now if you want to leave the union, that’s fine.

It’s a bit like when you go to a party, and someone you don’t like is there- you can leave but you can’t demand they leave. Especially when, like in this case, they bought all the drinks 😉

piemonster

This is the bit I don’t get. What’s in it for the Tories? Why on earth do they want to keep us Labour-voting Scots hanging around so much?

I’m not entirely convinced they do want the Union to survive. There are pros and cons for them.

There’s a loss off influence and prestige on the world stage, but at 8.5% of the UK population it’s not a catastrophic loss.

And that’s the best part of 80 seats less to fight against in Westminster. I’d guess its more to do with pride and not wanting to upset the Tory heartlands that I’d wager want the Union to survive.

scotroutes

Why would Cameron/the Tories want to save the Union? Well it could be that they have an underlying principle that the Union is sacrosanct regardless of any issues – or that they know that Scotland actually contributes more than it gets back. I’ll let you decide.

piemonster

Interesting discussion some of you are having here, I shall restrain myself from posting my usual puerile drivel and just lurk about.

piemonster

Just one thing, the Tory party’s full name is The Consrvative and Unionist Party.

oldbloke
    Free Member

In contrast to others, if this is the one vote we get, I see a No as a no-brainer. That’s simply because there’s no detail to vote for.

Were this part 1 of 2 which started negotiations and then part 2 was a vote on a specific deal on debt, taxation, EU, Defence, etc then a yes to part 1 might make sense now.

But, given the low calibre of Scottish politicians there is no prospect of me giving them a mandate to negotiate my family’s future without a chance to approve the final deal. I fear the desire to gain independence would see unfavourable terms accepted just to get the result.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Do the English get to vote on whether we should keep them or not?

scotroutes

The Conservative Party merged with the Liberal Unionist party in 1912. At that time the “unionist” part was to do with the Irish question.

scotroutes

Oldbloke – what would happen on the event of Yes/No vote in your scenario?

piemonster

I can vote, you have to live here though.

piemonster

The Conservative Party merged with the Liberal Unionist party in 1912. At that time the “unionist” part was to do with the Irish question.

I did not know that, you learn something every day.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Nothing to do with nationality, all to do with residency. Anyone can vote if they’re registered to vote in Scotland.

oldbloke
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Oldbloke – what would happen on the event of Yes/No vote in your scenario?

It would have to be clear there were two steps at the start.

Part 1 – Yes vote = “go negotiate, come back to us with a detailed proposal”. No vote = “don’t bother, we’re not interested”

Part 2 would be binding on both Westminster & Holyrood.

bawbag
    Free Member

Part 1 was the people of Scotland electing the SNP as the majority government. Part 2 happens on 18/09/2014. In the next 18 months the two sides of the campaign will hopefully provide all the details necessary to make an informed decision.

swavis

In the next 18 months the two sides of the campaign will hopefully provide all the details necessary to make an informed decision.

I really hope so, I’m currently on the fence but leaning towards a no.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Bawbag:

Electing SNP was not Part 1. That was a national election, not a single issue vote.

Even it it were, part 2 does not happen 18/9/14. There cannot be the detail of a deal to vote on at that point. There isn’t time. If there were, I’d be delighted, but there won’t be. In my dealings with policitians, they couldn’t decide on the detail of their own headline policy within 18 months (it actually took 4 years), let alone conclude negotiations with multiple parties who are not so committed to the final goal.

bencooper
    Free Member

If you want them to dot every i and cross every t before you vote, it’s not going to happen. However there’s nothing stopping you researching the issues yourself – become an informed member of the electorate. Decide for yourself whether you think Scotland would be better off independent.

For me, it’s not about whether Scotland would be better off*, it’s about self determination. Even if it costs us, I think it’s worth it to be able to decide things for ourselves, to be able to stand on our own feet and make our own mistakes, and to be able to kick the nukes out.

*A Better Together “analysis” recently announced that being independent would cost every Scot the grand sum of £1 per year. Don’t know about you, but I’d happily pay £1 per year to never have to listen to a Tory politician ever again 😉

scotroutes

oldbloke – I hear what you say about the “independence at all costs” folk but let’s say it’s a Yes/Yes, based on amongst other things a settlement with the EU. What happens if in, say, 10 years time a different Scottish Government is elected that decides to pull out of the EU – or there’s a re-negotiation of some other sort?

piemonster

I think Ben, you may have just convinced me to vote.

All the sentimentality of the Union washed away at the mere thought of never having a Tory prime minister.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘18/09/2014.’ is closed to new replies.