Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • ’16 Fox 36 – MRP FulFil vs Luftkappe
  • submarined
    Free Member

Anyone tried both?
    I’ve got the FulFil at the moment, and trying to decide whether it’s worth trying the Luftkappe first, or if I should just give in and send it to TF for a Push tune. (I think I know the answer already tbh)

The FulFil hasn’t made the difference I was hoping for. (The old Fox harshness chestnut)
    62kg and running at 170mm, fwiw.
    Ta!

Northwind

Basically just subscribing. Push tune (ie damping tune) won’t do that much for the harshness I think since that’s mostly air spring, if I was tackling that I’d go service and luftkappe I think.

Though actually I think I’ll be fitting a smashpot…

submarined
    Free Member

I think it might help the harshness for me tbh, as my scrawny ass is so far outside the standard window.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i’ve got a smashpot and it is smashing.

However, a luftkappe is a fantastic upgrade, really worth doing if you dont want to go coil

chiefgrooveguru

Bear in mind that the Luftkappe adds a fair bit of end stroke ramp-up, so if you’re not already running a few tokens (which you can remove) then you may struggle to get full travel (especially on smaller wheeled longer travel forks).

submarined
    Free Member

Good point. I think I’m running 1 token. Because Ethiopian build.

mashr

submarined

I think it might help the harshness for me tbh, as my scrawny ass is so far outside the standard window.

62kg here, I just use coils. I’ve never been able to get an air spring working well for me, I’ve just sacked it off completely now

submarined
    Free Member

Tbh I’m not spending £300+ on a nearly 4 year old fork, so that’s not a path I’m willing to go down I’m afraid.
    If it came to that if still and buy something else. I love the chassis and rate of the 36, it’s just the old harshness thing.

mashr

Cheaper coil options are available. CR Conception for example

kimbers

TFT have push ultra low friction seals for £38 & racing bros low friction seals for £22

No experience of either, tho

I’m considering then for my Yari tho, which according to bikeradar use cheaper seals then lyric/pike

Imagine fox use posher ones already ?

philstone

I had a ‘15 36 RC2 which was harsh on small bumps. I sent it to TF for a Push tune and got a custom neg air space from the US – which is similar to a luftkappe. It was a night and day difference. My mate is now using the fork and reckons there’s not a lot in it between his last run Van.

honourablegeorge

Paul at Mojo did great things for my ’16 36 RC2s witha retune – moved from running next-to-no compression to middle of the dial. SinglespeedStu from here (I think it was him) had the same tune, and was similarly pleased.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The Luftkappe in a 170mm fork makes it very progressive. I think a hybrid setup using some Luftkappe parts and some Fox parts would be better.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

2015 36 here, 11 1/2 stone wet.  Full PUSH coil conv and racing bros low friction seals (I found these took at least 500 miles to bed in).  Lovely supple feel and very happy compared to the harsh jarring feel on the air damper

kimbers

racing bros low friction seals (I found these took at least 500 miles to bed in).

wrecker
    Free Member

Tbh I’m not spending £300+ on a nearly 4 year old fork, so that’s not a path I’m willing to go down I’m afraid.
    If it came to that if still and buy something else. I love the chassis and rate of the 36, it’s just the old harshness thing.

I had the exact same dilemma. I bought an MRP ribbon coil. After a dropper post it’s the single best upgrade I have ever put on a bike. It might not be for everyone, but I have found a monumental improvement in my riding.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yes Kimbers, they pissed oil for the first summer I rode on them but since they’re over winter service the errrr seepage problems are much less

andyrm
    Free Member

I had the exact same dilemma. I bought an MRP ribbon coil. After a dropper post it’s the single best upgrade I have ever put on a bike. It might not be for everyone, but I have found a monumental improvement in my riding.

^^ I did exactly the same. Phenomenal fork – now got the Hazzard out back to match 👍👍

kimbers

Yes Kimbers, they pissed oil for the first summer I rode on them but since they’re over winter service the errrr seepage problems are much less

interesting, read a review of the push ones that said the same!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘’16 Fox 36 – MRP FulFil vs Luftkappe’ is closed to new replies.