Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 150miles C2C in one day. Which new bike?
  • HansRey

I’ve started to train for a coast to coast ride next June, from Seascale to Whitby. The route is about 150miles long, across 3 national parks and is done in one day. I know it’s possible for me to do this, so long as I train.

Currently, I’ve got a Tricross (58cm) with a compact and discs. I can comfortably sustain 20km/h for 7-8 hours on flattish terrain. However, I’d like to get something which is a lighter and more aggressive in terms of geometry. It is also knackered and will cost a fair bit to rebuild!

Can anyone recommend an audax/ sportive type bike which is…
    – Similarly sized to a 58cm Tricross
    – Has disc brakes
    – Mounts for full mud guards
    – 2+ bottle cage mounts
    – Clearance for 25 – 28mm tyres, with guards
    – Comes under £1500

So far, I’ve found the…
    – Canyon Endurace
    – Specialized Roubaix
    – Kinesis Tripster
    – Kinesis Racelight
    – Spa Cycles Titanium Audax
    … but they’re all missing something (mounts, discs or clearance)

is there anything else?

jonba
    Free Member

One of the pinnacle range from evans? Dolomite or Arkose I think.
    Something from Rose bikes in Germany?
    Something from Ribble cycles?

I have done similar rides on my Kinesis Pro6. Essentially a CX bike but is very good for general road riding too. Mudguards, bottle mounts and will take a 38mm tyre so a 28mm with guards should be no issue.

jobless
    Free Member

Dolan Dual? not disk, sorry forgot that.

scud
    Free Member

I have the Spec. SL4 Roubaix disc, upgraded with RS685 shifters and ultegra, strange bike in that it is extremely comfortable for distance riding, i’ve done 310 mile Newcastle to London 24 hour event and loads of others that meant 12 hours plus in the saddle, and it rides well and has all your prerequisites, but it is a bit “soulless” i’ve found.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Diverge?

DSW would be well under budget. Should be some bargains around with the new one imminent.

HansRey

i tried a roubaix a couple of years ago. Completely sold on the comfort.

Good call about Rose and Ribble. Will have a gander later. Ribble do the Gran Fondo, right? Any reviews here?

deepreddave
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium, usually c40% the better versions towards the year end.

@scud – good effort that 24hr ride, wow.

STATO
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium, usually c40% the better versions towards the year end.

Equally the carbon Datum. Its actually quite stiff so run narrow tyres and it goes quick, wider tyres if you want comfort. Will still fit guards with 35mm tyres.

colournoise

Not got a huge amount of knowledge on this type of stuff so might be way off the mark but wouldn’t a Cotic Escapade fit the bill?

STATO
    Free Member

Not got a huge amount of knowledge on this type of stuff so might be way off the mark but wouldn’t a Cotic Escapade fit the bill?

He wants something lighter, not something made of lead pipe 😆

jeffl

For 150 miles surely you’d want something with? less aggressive geometry?

STATO
    Free Member

You can do 150 miles on a Raleigh chopper, but you have a choice not too. He has a tricross and wants something a bit sportier, doesnt mean it needs to be a arse in the air race bike, but maybe he doesnt want to feel like is just plodding which is often what bikes like that feel like.

lunge

Hell no, if I was doing 150 miles (and in fact, whenever I’ve done 200 mile+ days) I want a fast bike to get it done as quickly as possible. Light, long and low please, fast wheels and tyres. No way in the world I’d want to do it on an escapade or similar.

HansRey

thanks for the comments so far. The aim is to have something sportier and more interesting/ motivating than what I currently have. The tricross is fine, dependable bike but it isn’t quick and it’s so dull.

I suppose that I’m looking for something halfway between a tricross and a madone 😉

cyclohappy
    Free Member

Have you considered Planet X?
    Bish Bash Bosh
    London Road
    XLS

Personally I’ve got an XLS and it’s bloody brilliant!

lunge

tricross and a madone

Sounds like you want an “endurance” road bike, Defy, Domane, Synapse, Roubaix, that kind of think.

smokey_jo

It’s not the 150 miles that got me you it’s the 10,000ft of climbing.

Just done a 2.5 dayer from Whitehaven to Tynemouth.

I would have appreciated something a little lighter than my Saracen Hack and a 32T on the back would have helped.

(I had a 30T and needed to be out of the saddle too often for my liking – you may be are probably fitter than me though).

TiRed

Giant Defy, and forgo the mudguards. A 25c on a wide rim will ride like a 28 anyway. And you want to go faster with lighter. Spa Cycles Elan would be my next choice but is 250 over budget.

belugabob
    Free Member

… but they’re all missing something (mounts, discs or clearance)

Slightly confused why you stated this when the Kinesis Tripster is on your list.

Admittedly, it’s not a cheap option, but confused, all the same.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Wait for the 2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc to hit the end of year sales? I picked up one of the last 2016s for ~£900 during the May Day bank hol weekend, it’s a cracking bike.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/373882/products/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-2017-carbon-road-bike-grey.aspx

joat

I did this a couple of years ago on my Giant Domane, hidden mudguard mounts are good but there isn’t clearance for big tyres as well. Mine’s 2014 so don’t know about newer models, but they do disc versions. Ability to fit low gears would be good, spin up Hardknott and Wrynose, push on through the middle and try not to cry on the moors, good luck!
    Oh and, some bloke did it on a fat bike when I did it.

scotroutes

Diverge DSW. Good call.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Can’t recommend Canyon Endurance strongly enough. Brilliant bike. Just done over 1000km in Europe on mine. Flawless, extremely good spec. Comfortable geometry sees me down on the bars without pain or discomfort over long distances.

Done CTCTC two days. The bike won’t be the limiting factor.

What’s the Endurance missing?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Diverge DSW. Good call.

However, now that pictures of the new one are out, expect prices of the 2017 model to rise! 😉

rocket
    Free Member

I’m doing this next week on my old Cannondale CAAD10. I’ve managed to squeeze a 28mm tyre in the back and whack a 32t cassette on which I hope should help. I’m a bit nervous about the hills as my training (if you can call it that) has been entirely based around the flat lands of Cambridge 😯 I’ll let you know if I die or not… I do have an Arkose as well but prefer faster and lighter for distance on the road. So, being brand loyal, my suggestion is a Cannondale Synapse in the forth coming sales. Should tick all the boxes.

stevio

Second the Datum (got mine from Rutland and now its £1,499) – meets your criteria and its nearly as fast on the std tires as my Defy but wont need wheels re-truing after some gravel fire road action like my Defy did…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Canyon Endurance comes with 28mm standard and 32t cassette.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘150miles C2C in one day. Which new bike?’ is closed to new replies.