Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 150 or 200mm dropper, sizing etc
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi

So following on from a previous thread, I’m looking at the brand X Ascend XL for my large Intense Tracer T275C (2016).

I’ve measured and it looks like my collar to clamp length is 270mm so -50mm would give max dropper of 220.

But, what I’m not sure about is the total length of the post as the 200mm droppers are much longer?

Any thought on how not to buy the wrong post 2 days before I need it for a bike trip?

ta

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

(125mm ancient sludge filled reverb in use currently)

mashr

Full dimensions for each post are on CRC/Wiggle iirc? You should be able to check from that info if you’ll have any issues getting it into your seat tube

dirkpitt74

Found this in the CRC Q&A:

The 170mm dropper requires 285mm for total insertion and the 200mm dropper requires 305mm

total lengths:
    499mm – 170mm
    559mm – 200mm

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^^ hmmm I was wondering about that haven’t got a post to test with (tape measure may still go in but could be bends in seat tube etc)

dirkpitt74

OneUp droppers seem to have the shortest overall insertion depth and stack height.

ta11pau1

You need the check 2 measurements. Stack height from bottom of collar to rails, and insertion depth.

The 200mm brand X XL has a stack height of 254mm, bottom of collar to seat rails.

So if your current post is 270mm collar to rails them you’re good. That gives you 16mm of post showing.

Insertion depth with the actuator is 305mm, so with the 16mm of post showing that’s 289mm, or without the actuator it’s 34mm less, so 255mm.

You need to check your frame will allow a post to be inserted to a depth of 255mm with 34mm below it for the actuator.

monkeyboyjc

The insertion lengths for the 170 and 200mm drop brandx are the same iirc as the 170 is just a slimed down version….

Edit: 305mm for the 200 and 274 for the 170

https://off.road.cc/content/news/brand-x-launch-200mm-ascend-dropper-post-5737

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks guys

It seems I could have another problem now however – I forgot that for reasons known only to Intense on my model year bike the internal routing is only semi-internal – it pops out on the front of the seat post and then is supposed to be attached to cable guides that screw into the frame.

However, unsurprisingly I cant find the cable guides anywhere…

I could buy another external post but the cable loop getting caught on my feet/tyre was the main reason for a new post..

monkeyboyjc

Just buy some generic single guides? CRC do some nuke proof or ragley ones.

Also i’ve a  brand new 200mm 31.6 brandx for sale I could post to you next day 😉 pm me if interested

ta11pau1

How tall are you? Looks like your bike has a 540mm seat tube, I’m 6ft 3in and have a 200mm brand X on my hardtail with a 470mm seat tube, and it has 40mm of post showing, so I’m hoping you’re a fair bit taller than me.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m 6’2” and a bit (half on a good day).

Re cable guides – reckon generic ones will correct bolt diameter?

monkeyboyjc

reckon generic ones will correct bolt diameter?

Usually they are all just bottle cage bolt size.

ta11pau1

I’m 6’2” and a bit (half on a good day).

Re cable guides – reckon generic ones will correct bolt diameter?

Double check your measurements, I certainly couldn’t fit a 200mm post with a 540mm seat tube, so you must have stupidly long legs!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ I do look quite a lot like a frog so that makes sense

5lab

I would agree with the above that you’ve probably done your maths wrong. 270mm + 540mm + 175mm (cranks) + 50mm (saddle stack height) is over 40″. Whilst that isn’t exactly your inside leg measurement (you might point your ankle down a bit, and your shoe has maybe 10mm stack height), it seems extreme for someone who’s only 6’2. I’m also tha tall and run approx 270mm saddle-to-rail, but on a 460mm frame, I’d be amazed if your legs were 8cm longer than mine

docrobster
    Free Member

Yeah my first though was how long are your legs!
    I’m only 5’11” and a bit but I ride a bike with a 420 seat tube. I have a 180 dropper in. There is 60mm below the collar and the collar is I think 27mm so similar rail to top of seat tube. Are your legs 12cm longer than mine?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.