Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 141QR / Swift / Idiot questions
  • fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Now i’ll be the first to admit I’m as technical as an orange, so given that humour me STW that knows with some questions on Zwift and a weird QR too

1) I’ve got one bike with the ‘joyous’ 141 boost QR and it would appear that with a but of bodgery you can make it work on a turbo trainer like a Kickr Core (bit of a wahoo fan boy) – any one tried? Read this https://spoketwist.com/wahoo-kickr-141mm-qr/

2) When you use Zwift do you actually use the gears or does the trainer adjust resistance to whatever gear you’re in?

3) Winter is here and my first SDW end to end approaches this year so I was thinking of using it as a proper training add for me in evenings and odd times I have. Anyone had any experience of it for training or noticed a real life difference?

Thanks in advance for humouring me

James

Poopscoop

1 I have the Core but not even heard of 141 qr till you mentioned it, so I’m no use to you there!

2 You could use a single speed on Zwift if you want but I don’t think that’s what you are getting at. Basically it’s very similar to real life. Uphill it will get harder to pedal. Tough it out or change gear but progress is all about the wattage you are outputting still. It feels “real” though. You will virtually never coast on Zwift though so you work a lot harder than on an mtb ride for instance. I won’t get into ERG mode too much as I won’t end up describing it properly. ERG is important in training plans etc though… but in races/ “free riding” (aka just riding along) it’s not really relevant. I only free ride/ do events with the intention of racing when I’m not totally/ utterly unfit. I don’t do training plans as it just kills my motivation but many do.

3 Coincidence. Currently takes me 3 days to ride SDW and want to ride it in a day this year. (Its not just fitness,I crash a lot too.😁) Also want to generally get fitter on the bike. Like I said,I don’t do the training plans. It’s just not for me. I’m planning on getting fitter on a bike….by riding a bike. Just happens to be inside is all. Make no mistake though. I’ve ended up in last position in a race in the past and almost fallen off the trainer at the end. Utterly destroyed. Zwift can be a leisurely ride (though it’s hard to keep to that, which is the best part… Even free riding, you will attempt to keep up with that guy that just shot past you… You can’t help yourself!) or you can get off the bike barely able to stand and feeling like you are about to throw up. No exaggeration. “It never gets easier, you just get faster.”

If any of the above ramblings are incomprehensible or wrong, one of the more experienced Zwifters on here will be along to clarify no doubt.

Anyway, I’m a relative noob to Zwift compared to most in the weeksy Zwift thread… sit down and read that over a few hours. It’ll be informative AND whet your appetite to get on Zwift asap.😁 It’s bloody great tbh!

Poopscoop

Oh, having just read the link to the 141 qr mod,I can’t see why that wouldn’t work on the Core. That said, could be an expensive mistake so get some others to confirm…but as the Core is the same as the later Kickr’s as far as the adapters are concerned it all looks good…

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Good luck with the ride @Poopscoop – I might well see you on the SDW one day 🙂

Thanks also for your answers as they really help inform my uninformed view!

141 is a boost QR standard – who knew? Another one served up by Trek / Cannondale that I know of, not an issue for me but Mrs FB&C – mines 12mm so all good 🙂

James

Poopscoop

You never know!👍

Your welcome mate, most of what I have picked up are from the Zwift thread on here, googling and just getting on and riding.lol

It seems daunting at first but you pick it up fast.

Oh, don’t forget fans. You will sweat like you won’t believe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘141QR / Swift / Idiot questions’ is closed to new replies.