Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 14 Peaks – Netflix
  • PrinceJohn

Watched this last night, amazing achievement & really humble guy.

Definitely worth a watch if you get the chance.

nickc

really humble guy.

hmmmm. not so sure myself (and I don’t think that’s a bad thing necessarily ) Amazing achievement, and great documentary.

martinhutch

I caught a bit of it, and was in two minds really. Awesome physical achievement, but the idea of persuading my team to go against an assessment of dangerous conditions at K2 to carry on with what is, in the grand scheme of mountaineering, a completely arbitrary quest, turned me off. They got away with it, obviously, but most expedition leaders would have settled for ‘the mountain will still be there next year’.

I’m always suspicious of of these kind of ‘challenges’, but I guess that’s what happens when pretty much all the firsts in mountaineering have been claimed.

nickc

most expedition leaders would have settled for ‘the mountain will still be there next year’

Sure, but of you’ve set yourself a target to do all this in 7 months, that’s not going to work is it? You don’t get to smash all the records by not taking risks I guess, eh?

martinhutch

I’ve got no problem with making a personal choice, but he needed his team to take the same risk, perhaps more, to lay the foundations for his achievement. They (all experienced high altitude mountaineers) had already assessed the conditions before he got there, decided that the risk wasn’t justified.

If what is an arbitrary challenge starts overriding sensible mountaineering assessments, that makes me a little uncomfortable. They got away with it, I guess, so all’s good.

nickc

the risk wasn’t justified.

But didn’t a lot a climbers go up straight after he’d done it as well?

martinhutch

I think it was because his team had spent time on the most dangerous section of the route, fixing ropes, which then made it less risky for others to follow.

I don’t know how his supporting team had made their technical judgement on the state of the serac, but they’d come to that conclusion by themselves.

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought the K2 thing was another group had given up, his team then got there and convinced them they could make it with his team’s assistance – I don’t think he needed them to go with his team or pressured them into it.

martinhutch

Ah, maybe I misunderstood the thrust of the argument at that point.

mattcartlidge

Really enjoyed it, tried for the past 2 mornings to get up at 3am to run 20km with a heavy pack before work but snoozed the alarm. The queue on Everest was depressing.

IdleJon

The queue on Everest was depressing.

Hasn’t there been a queue on Everest for years, because of the nature of the mountain and short weather window needed to summit? (And from pics I’ve seen, there doesn’t look like a lot of space on the top!)

matt_outandabout

Amazing film, amazing group of mountaineers, so good to see Nepalese take the limelight.

The K2 thing: I won’t judge someone being bolder than the others – particularly when my personal knowledge was 5 minutes of documentary. High mountains are all about managing risk and judgements. Read Reinhold’s books and see that he wasn’t exactly in the safety of a base camp tent. At some point you have to go for a walk.

As ever, the film skipped so much detail and nuance – it has left me wanting to read more..

AD

Well worth reading his (Nims) book too – ‘Beyond Possible’. Gives a lot more detail (Netflix documentary was great though!).

dannymite1981
    Free Member

Best mountaineering documentary I’ve watched for a while,would have thought it would have gained more publicity than it has for achieving what he and his team did.Also after descending from Annapurna having to go back up to rescue a climber from another team,then on another mountain trying to save another.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘14 Peaks – Netflix’ is closed to new replies.