Home Forums Bike Forum 120mm fork choice

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 120mm fork choice
  • coconut
    Free Member

I need to buy a 29-120mm front fork to replace a Recon Silver RL, going on a hardtail that I want to lighten up a bit.

Seems the choices are quite limited in 120mm, budget is around £450. I really want 34mm stanchions and light, form general XC and light trail use.

So far the new options are:

– New Marocchi Z2  – Great reviews, but seems to be quite porky at 2030gms – £290

– New Rockshox Revelation (MOCO), had in the past as was never that impressed with the MOCO – £360 (1900gms)

– Brand new SID on ebay, it’s from CRC/Wiggle and I’m unsure about buying it at £450 as there would be no warranty and there appear to be known issues with the bushings coming loose (1670gms)

– Can’t seem to find any good Pikes, this would likely be my top choice

– Nothing really from Fox in 120mm.

– Possibly go REAB, but reviews state very flexy and 32mm, but super light – 1600gms.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What weight are you? The Rebas I ran at 120mm weren’t flexy and I’m 77kg.

There also appear to be plenty SH Pike Select+ on eBay, you might have to buy a 120mm airshaft but you’d still be under £400 usually.

I’d not buy Sids at £450 without warranty personally.

mos
    coconut
    Free Member

Yeah, I think the SID would be a risk as being from CRC it’s likely old stock. I think the bushing issue was very prevalent on the older ones, seems almost half of them developed knocking.

thoughts on the Revelation ? It’s a fair price at £360 and brand new.

coconut
    Free Member

The revelation is a 2021, with Motion Control Dampner. I had a 140mm rev before and it really suffered from Stiction. Not sure if my old rev was just a bit of a turkey, or is it best avoided ?

mjsmke

Lightest would be a SID or Fox 34 SC but both above budget unless 2nd hand.

ampthill

Fox 34mm and new air shaft seems to be the answer.

racereadysuspension
    Free Member

Just to clarify, the SID fork you mention would have a full warranty. If a problem were to arise you could take it to almost any bike shop and the Sram warranty centre would collect it free of charge. This is a very normal procedure. I often return items to the Sram tech centre regardless of where the customer bought them. Issues with bushes is a rarity too.

dc1988

Are you happy to buy 2nd hand? A 34 performance is a great fork and should be pretty cheap and lighter than the Rhythm version. Otherwise a 2nd hand Pike would be a very good upgrade. If there’s nothing available right now then a bit of patience n one will show up

johnny63

I’m selling these if any good to you ?

RockShox SID Select RL3 120mm

coconut
    Free Member

I would have taken the SID fork you’re selling, until I read the steerer is cut to 152mm…. that’s very short, but thanks anyway.

johnny63

No worries.

R.lepecha

If you can find the RS Revelations for a lower cost, maybe second hand, you could factor in a service with low friction seals and chuck in a better damper. 

For example, the novyparts S-plug is ~£130 delivered to the UK. I’ve just fitted one to some RS 35 Gold and it’s night and day better than the MOCO.

https://www.novyparts.com/produits-novyparts-suspensions-vtt/splug-bloc-de-compression-hydraulique/splug-bloc-de-compression-hydraulique.html

tuboflard

Can second just how good the Splug is, fitted to a Revelation on my Ragley Big Wig and now with a Trutune fitted it’s an excellent fork.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Those cheap Fox 34s from Merlin are pretty much 2kg so they’d be no use to you.

I’ve got some Z2s and they’re also very burly – not what you want for a lightweight bike.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Those cheap Fox 34s from Merlin are pretty much 2kg so they’d be no use to you.

I’ve got some Z2s and they’re also very burly – not what you want for a lightweight bike.

dartdude
    Free Member

DVO Sapphire are highly worthy of a look

coconut
    Free Member

Still hunting. Good to know the SID could be repaired under warranty if I’m not the original purchaser. Looks like the SID is leading, followed by the Revelation. Can’t find any 120mm Fox forks (Singletrack, ebay/pinkbike), same for 120mm Pikes. 120mm seems quite a tricky size as there’s not much out there. Can’t find any DVO either.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

If your buying RS, don’t get fixated on travel. Buy the right model at the right price and even with the correct airshaft you will often pay less than a Pike etc that comes with 120 out the box.

It’s about £30/40 for an airshaft and twenty minutes work

niel11
    Free Member

I would avoid the Marzocchi, I have them on a hard tail and they work well but they have an annoying knock which (after being sent for warranty repair twice) I have been advised is a normal and everything is within tolerance.

tuboflard

Brand new Revelation from Cotic for £300. If you ask nicely they might even be able to swap out the air shaft for you. Add in a Splug and you’re still under £450.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/item/outlet_new_fork_revelation_150

inbred853

Cane Creek Helm 2’s?

Travel can be adjusted quite easily with internal spacers.

intheborders
    Free Member

What does the original Recon actually weigh?

IME with forks you’re better off looking for increased performance rather than just losing a few grams (unless you’ve got a boat-anchor etc on there currently), and if you’re concerned about “warranty” then really you want to be buying new – consequently, you may need to increase the budget (and pay for the ‘insurance’).

And most RS forks are a simple £25-35 airshaft swap for travel – I like Pikes, good combo of weight, performance & quality.

dc1988

As above, find a longer fork and get a shorter airshaft. It takes very little time or effort to replace and will most likely work out the cheapest option.

bens
    Free Member

I can’t see anything with the MoCo damper being an improvement to be honest. The Revelation isn’t a bad fork but needs a different damper to work correctly. Buy the time you’ve bought the fork and a new damper, you could probably have bought a pike.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I had SIDs on my Flaremax and after 2 pairs developing bushing play I gave up and they sent me some Helms instead. Shame as the SID was so impressive for it’s weight. My other half has someone those 34 rhythms and they are proper heavy, I think they came out as over 2.1kg. On the plus side they seem to perform extremely well.

John

dyna-ti
    alan1977
    Free Member

800 still for the 120mm version

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.