Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • 12 year old son accused of shop lifting with his autistic brother in Asda…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…despite paying for the toy !

He came home in floods of tears, he took his brother who’s 10 and autistic to buy him a toy, they paid for it but some A hole accused him of stealing it as they left the shop, being the boy he is he let them take the toy ! He came home and explained to my wife what had happened who then phoned me, I said go straight back to the store and speak to the manager, she did I also spoke to the manager t was very apologetic to say the least blah blah, we are trying to teach independence to our children its now thrown it back. I wasn’t exactly polite to the manager and explained that maybe they should check cameras and receipts before accusing innocent children, here lies the problem the said member of staff just thought hes young he must have stolen it !

they let him keep the toy and refunded him back the money –

He paid for the £7.00 toy in 20p’s ! Sweet boy

rant over !

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, I hate that attitude too. Assuming kids are scumbags.

Might be surprised to learn that 99% of them are good kids.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Sorry. One consolation is that your sons *did* learn a lesson here. I bet next time someone in authority falsely accuses them they’ll be less intimidated and realize that stating their case will pay off.

Bad situation though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Glad you got it sorted.

I too would be furious.

Hope it doesn’t put your sons off going shopping again..

convert

That is shit. Never mind, at some point in the future you can go to the store with your kid and publicly point at member of staff and tell your kid that they better work hard at school or they too will be stuck only being able to get a job as rubbish as that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I hope youv’e taught him to always keep the receipt as well!

DezB
    Free Member

😆 @convert !

fossy

Glad it was resolved in the end, but staff member needs a rocket up their bum.

ajantom

That is shit. Never mind, at some point in the future you can go to the store with your kid and publicly point at member of staff and tell your kid that they better work hard at school or they too will be stuck only being able to get a job as rubbish as that

That’s a bit harsh, someone has to work in the shops where you buy your shit. Shelves don’t stack themselves. Or do you expect grateful immigrants to do it for free?

Back to the OP, at the very least I’d be asking the manager for a letter of apology from the member of staff concerned, might teach them to think first next time.

tjagain

I’d be making a formal complaint in writing to make sure the appropriate action is taken against the shop and its staff. Basically the staff member stole the kids toy!

Its outrageous behaviour

perchypanther
    Free Member

Asda?

Surprised they didn’t give him a smack on the arse…

brakes
    Free Member

Surprised they didn’t give him a smack on the arse…

every little (shit) helps (themselves).

medlow
    Free Member

Ohh my.. This story makes me well up!!.

Your boys must have felt so sad and probably quite intimidated and scared too, especially the for the Autistic brother.

We have a 4ry old boy who is currently being diagnosed to fit somewhere on the Autism spectrum so I can relate.
    I feel quite anxious for him when he gets older and how he will have to deal with these situations on his own, this story further worries me.

The world is hard and full of mistakes and this experience must be massively difficult for an Autistic sufferer to understand.

I hope they do learn from this and realise it was a big mistake.

Maybe take them both out to the shops again (probs not Asda) and repeat the process to show them it works 99.9% of the time.? Try to show them how the mistake happened? (if you can find any reason)

I’d be asking the manager to arrange some sort of complimentary behind the scenes visit to the store. It could be quite interesting and also help to restore your boy’s trust in shopping.

convert

That’s a bit harsh, someone has to work in the shops where you buy your shit. Shelves don’t stack themselves. Or do you expect grateful immigrants to do it for free?

It is a bit harsh. But deliberately so. They were happy to humiliate a young lad who was in no position to respond on equal footing. There are times when it’s nice to allow someone to see what it feels like when the boot is on the other foot.

outofbreath
    Free Member

That’s a bit harsh, someone has to work in the shops where you buy your shit. Shelves don’t stack themselves.

+1. Doing such a useful job ought to be a source of pride.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

At least you ended up with the toy (and a refund!) and an apology. Hope your lads are alright about it now.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I wasn’t exactly polite to the manager

Ah so you behaved like the scum behave.

Unfortunately people who routinely deal with scum end up treating people like that

mashr

*arrives to watch the fight begin*

IdleJon

Reminds me of when my sister was doing my grandfather’s weekly shop and was stopped on the way out, accused of shoplifting and given a pat-down search. She was 13. My father – who isn’t exactly small – marched into the shop, grabbed the offending Saturday boy by the scruff of the neck, grabbed the manager by his scruff and yelled at them about sexual abuse. The security guard managed to calm him down and move them into the manager’s office. I think the boy got sacked and my sister got a written apology.

DezB
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member

Never mind, at some point in the future you can go to the store with your kid and publicly point at member of staff and tell your kid that they better work hard at school or they too will be stuck only being able to get a job as rubbish as that.

The problem with that is that there’s every chance that the person you’re mocking is a student working their way through further education.

I worked in a supermarket for 4 years and 75% of the staff were part timers and mostly students. The recruitment process for the part timers was more competitive than most professional jobs i’ve ever applied for because the supermarket  could afford to be choosy and only wanted intelligent hardworking kids who would consistently show up for the shifts.

In my limited,  entirely anecdotal experience, more than half of the supermarket staff that I worked with  subsequently went on to  have much, much better jobs.

So “You better work work hard at school, so you’re able to secure a rubbish job like this,  so you can go to University and need to take a rubbish job like this to pay for it” would probably be more accurate.

convert

Ah so you behaved like the scum behave.

That’s a hell of a leap – I can be exceptionally rude whilst remaining eloquent and superficially reasonable. You don’t have to become foul mouthed, gammony and react irrationally over the top in a general ‘scum like manner’ to be be ‘not exactly polite’.

trumpton
    Free Member

I got accused of shoplifting in Halfords once. Had to empty my bag out within the shop! Very upsetting.

convert

I got accused of shoplifting in Halfords once. Had to empty my bag out within the shop! Very upsetting.

I did too – and I had and all! Not intentionally. Bought a mountain of DIY stuff at B&Q and somehow missed a £2 tool of some sort at the bottom of the trolley having paid for everything else. Security guard stepped across in front of me as I left. Must have had amazing vision. Was very embarrassing and they were pretty keen to sort it publically – I guess the visual deterrent of seeing what it looks like to be stopped is part of the point.

footflaps

I would go ballistic, accusing someone without any evidence of theft and then stealing their toy is utterly outrageous – shop worker should be fired.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Feel very bad for your lads there mate.
    Shouldn’t happen but sadly does. Another lesson learnt wrong way.

fasthaggis

Kicks mashr on the backside and blames Dez

‘runs off to get cake’

Kryton57

This whole thread reads like Broken Britain.   Someone made a mistake likely based on assumption, an illness is thrown in to exaggerate the situation, Dad goes ott in the shop and here, STW starts the latest 10 page rant against the Tories.

How very boring.  Things like this happen every day, hopefully everyone involved learns a few things and riot isn’t required.

Flaperon

Can’t stand over-zealous power-crazy security guards. You are under no obligation to show anyone what you’ve bought, or a receipt. It is up to them to prove otherwise.

No doubt someone will be along to say that “they’re only doing their job”.

tjagain

Autism is not an illness.

redmex
    Free Member

On a similar vein i was spotted driving in a M & S car park brand new shop so not used to it, i went 30 yards against the direction arrow polis gave me a ticking off. I argued its a private car park, there was no one else moving. Took me back to not the nine oclock news sketch trumped up charges, wearing a loud shirt, walking in town with an offensive wife and walking on the cracks of the pavement

trumpton
    Free Member

It was the store manager who apparently saw me stealing. Next time I went in and she served me I made some saracstic comments and felt much better. No way should they search your bag in public. They should at least take you into the warehouse or managers room.

perchypanther
    Free Member

They’re only doing their job.

In this case, badly.

When I worked in a supermarket, we had strict rules about challenging potential shoplifters.

You had to have seen then take an item and actually leave the store. Clearly, either Asda has different rules, which i very much doubt, or the staff member just didn’t follow those rules.

perchypanther
    Free Member

They should at least take you into the warehouse or managers room.

We locked a guy in the meat freezer, about -20 degrees, one time for nearly two hours. He turned blue.

The cops were fine with it when they eventually showed up.

fasthaggis

Was this the guy perchy?
    iceman

perchypanther
    Free Member

yep, that’s him.

Those shorts are full of bacon.

Drac

Sounds like the shop made a mistake, the kids weren’t sure how to handle it but I’m sure my kids wouldn’t be sure either and then Dad made a mistake and got angry.

I argued its a private car park, there was no one else moving

A private car park for public use means it falls under a public area.

Yes we should point and laugh people who made different career choices it’s such a great thing to do. 🙄

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thanks for all your replies

to set the record straight, I wasn’t in the store my wife was I Spoke to the manager on the phone whilst my wife was with the manager , I got angry but as someone pointed out above its possible to get angry without being a D head…

@Kryton

an illness is thrown in to exaggerate the situation

autism isn’t an illness – quite offensive by the way.

there isn’t anything wrong working in Supermarkets for the record

4. My son was doing something nice for his brother he understands the mix up – its thrown a spanner in the works with my youngest (autistic) who now says he wont go in Asda again/that will be a fun process to work through !

DezB
    Free Member

How very boring. Things like this happen every day

I honestly thought that to start with. But then.. where’s the fun thread there!? 🙂

nuke

Personally i wouldn’t take offense if my kids were stopped but it depends how it was done: if the kid strolls out with toy in hand (given no free bags these days), i dont see it as unreasonable to be stopped and asked politely for receipt particularly if the tills are not in sight of the door but if its “oi, you nicked that!” then id be fuming and take a far more belligerent stance

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘12 year old son accused of shop lifting with his autistic brother in Asda…’ is closed to new replies.