Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 12 speed chain interoperability
  • pedlad

Possibly a dumb question but are all 12spd chains compatible with all 12 spd cassettes/shifters?

mashr

Yes

simondbarnes

No

pedlad

Classic :->
    Why the differing views?

bigginge

Perfect, lets just leave it there.

edit:

on a possibly more helpful note I did read some chat recently about the new Shimano chains needing a specific chainring to run (which would imply they have a narrower gap for the chainring teeth than other chains). However I’ve also seen talk of people running shimano chains and cassettes in otherwise SRAM based drive-trains without much in the way of complaints.

Any reason for not wanting to match up the chain to the cassette you have?

pedlad

chain does match cassette (Sunrace) at the moment but just looking for spare chain and 12 spd links that are good value – my previous source of decent value, Clarkes at Halfords don’t seem to do 12 spd yet

bigginge

In that case I’d guess that you would be pretty safe with anything that isn’t shimano as a replacement.

I’m not sure how much you expect a good value chain to cost but the £20 ish sram GX eagle ones I’ve been running seem to be holding up pretty well and come with a quick link in the box.

The spare sram eagle quick links seemed a bit more expensive than the last (9/10 speed) ones I bought. So far the two I bought for my tool kit/pack have gone unused though, and look like they might be in there for a while, so possibly to too bad in the long run.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘12 speed chain interoperability’ is closed to new replies.