Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 11spd chainset on 8spd groupset?
  • theboatman
    Free Member

Would the above work okay? I can forsee the problems if the speed’s were reversed. By I’ve run chainsets 1-2 gears higher before with lower groups, but is the above a step too far.

wwaswas

single ring or double/triple?

theboatman
    Free Member

@wwaswas

Sorry, compact double. Shimano r2000 Claris with a non series 11spd chainset.

Onzadog
    Free Member

You might suffer a bit of chain rub but you can always space the ring out slightly with some thin shim chain ring spacers from eBay. Had the same issue running a 10 speed 105 chainset with a 9 speed back end.

theboatman
    Free Member

@onzadog

I know the spacers you mean, ta.

Previously when I’ve done similar I have found using a chain the same speed as the chainset has stopped any rub issue’s without needing them. I’ve got a 10 speed chain, so might try that and then hit the spacers 🤔

hollyboni
    Free Member

Why?

theboatman
    Free Member

Why what?

hollyboni
    Free Member

Why do you want to run an 11spd chain on an 8spd drivetrain? Not trolling, just curious.

theboatman
    Free Member

Bought a bike with Claris and fsa chainset, there is a problem with the chainset . I have contacted retailer, and have no issues with them. But as the shop is 6 hours away I don’t really want to be sending the bike back to get sorted, as it’s my commuter and I don’t have a car and due to working shifts can’t rely on buses. I have an 11 speed chainset in my spares box, so if popping this on would sort it, then I would just rather sort it and crack on.

Bez

if popping this on would sort it

Popping it on would answer your question 😀

theboatman
    Free Member

Lol 😂 very true @bez

I’m awaiting further response from the retailer, so didn’t want to go pulling the bike apart just yet. I was just thinking through my possible options, and as stw has some pioneer’s of the bodge, I just wondered if anyone had actually run this combination.

philjunior
    Free Member

You should be fine, might not work as well as it would with 11s (chain rub etc.).

FWIW I’m using 9s chainset with 10s and it works OK. (the bit where it doesn’t work ideally isn’t cos of the 9s/10s thing, it’s more extensive bodging than that :D.)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘11spd chainset on 8spd groupset?’ is closed to new replies.