Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 100,000 Sunni army to N. Iraq solve Daesh?
  • ratswithwings
    Free Member

Or precursor to a widening of the war between Sunni and Shia.

nickc

what are you talking about?

slowoldman

I think this is to do with Saudi Arabia shiite stirring.

konabunny
    Free Member

What could possibly go wrong?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Why Daesh it’s always been Isis/Isil, why are the media/politicians now referring to them as Daesh?

Junkyard
    Free Member

State implies they are recognised and legitimate where as Daesh does not

They are not very islamic either

Daesh sounds like some other arabic words which are less than flattering but i dont know what they are

TBH i dont know why we bother its not like we dont know they are the baddies or using a different name will make them stop

slowoldman

I think they’re still trying to get the branding right.

kimbers

coz otherwise we might get confused with that other Islamic State who hold public beheadings, floggings, stonings etc for crimes like apostasy, witchcraft, adultery, political dissent…. using them to prop up their repressive regime
    and the Saudis sell us all that oil and buy all those weapons off us…

jambalaya
    Free Member

In theory Iraq had an Army of 100’000’s to defend their country except the numbers where fake (to claim the wages of imaginary soldiers) and they certainly didn’t want go fight anyone.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

using a different name will make them stop

It’s very bad for their morale if we call them by names that they don’t like.

Cameron is convinced that they don’t like being called Daesh.

Plus if everyone calls them Daesh they could start having recruiting problems.

And to think some people think that Cameron doesn’t have a cunning plan to defeat ISIS! He’s obviously given the problem a lot of thought.

Northwind

I’m not going to call this decisive, but I asked a syrian mate of mine what the whole daesh thing was all about, and he said basically it’s european politicians being ****. Daesh is literally the arabic equivalent of ISIL, it’s the closest you can get to the exact arabic/english translation. He says the only thing “offensive” about it is equally true of ISIL- arabic doesn’t have a real tradition of using acronyms so abbreviating the name can be seen as basically not treating it with the respect they expect. Though he also says that only really works with non-english speaking arabs who also don’t know how we use acronyms- ie anyone who’s not noticed we say UK and USA.

Like I say, that’s one dude’s take on it, I wouldn’t want to call it decisive but when you try and find anything solid on this, there’s basically a shitload of waffle. People keep repeating things like “it sounds like some other arabic word” but nobody seems to know what it is (*) or why that’s even a thing, frinstance. The more you read the less it sounds like something we shouldn’t even have wasted as long as it took to type this post on, let alone acting like it’s important.

(* the most popular option is daes, which means something a lot like “they who crush under foot”. But what protagonist in the entire of history was ever worried to hear their enemies say something like that of them? You also notice that sometimes the same expert commentator will offer a couple of different options, which is explicitly saying “I don’t bloody know”)

maccruiskeen

Neither side needs to be looking for excuses now to spoil for a fight now, It all started going wrong for Sunni and Shi-ah a long time ago – around the time of the release of their fifth album ‘All I ever need is you’ in 1971.

Why Daesh it’s always been Isis/Isil, why are the media/politicians now referring to them as Daesh?

Its how IS have been referred to in France for some time -the ‘nowness’ of the phrase is because our discussions of issues around IS are taking place in the same sphere as France’s so politicians and the media are now addressing wider audiences.

konabunny
    Free Member

arabic doesn’t have a real tradition of using acronyms so abbreviating the name can be seen as basically not treating it with the respect they expect

I don’t speak Arabic and so should perhaps stfu but Hamas and Fatah are acronyms (that they call themselves), aren’t they?

maccruiskeen

so abbreviating the name can be seen as basically not treating it with the respect they expect

I think its maybe the case that there isn’t a broad tradition of using acronyms – I don’t think its generally the case that its considered disrespectful. However there was an instance in Mosul where IS/Daiish (or whatever acronym) made threats to the population there about anyone using the Daesh / Daiish acronym, stating in that instance that doing so was a show disrespect or defiance. From that the press has probably extrapolated that IS (or even all Muslims) find that acronym or all acronyms offensive.

IS itself is pretty inconsistent about what it calls itself, the western media has chosen ‘Islamic State’ or ‘Islamic State of……’ based on the groups stated objectives more than any branding exercise, naming conventions change because geographically those objectives have changed. It has sometimes been Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Iraq and Levant (ISIL, Levant – covering a much larger notional terrority, including Syria’s neighbours) or ISIS again (this time Iraq and al-Sham, the whole area between Turkey and Egypt). Shortening to IS implies no geographical limitation. Sometimes the group simply calls itself al-Dawla (The State)

dirtydog
    Free Member

Neither side needs to be looking for excuses now to spoil for a fight now, It all started going wrong for Sunni and Shi-ah a long time ago – around the time of the release of their fifth album ‘All I ever need is you’ in 1971.

Brilliantly dry/subtle, got as far as “fifth album” before I realized what was going on, deserves some recognition.

Glad I checked back 😆

maccruiskeen

deserves some recognition.

I think its the third time I’ve told that gag here. I’ll keep telling it too until the forum builds a shrine to me!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘100,000 Sunni army to N. Iraq solve Daesh?’ is closed to new replies.