Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • £1000 to spend – WWSTW do?.
  • NJA

My mother has dropped a bit of a bombshell on her grandchildren this year. She has offered each of them £1000 as a Christmas present.

However, there are strings attached. It has to be spent on something that they can keep and pass down through their own families. Not technology, not an investment, a physical thing that will hopefully appreciate in value over time.

My eldest son’s (he is 31) instinct is a nice watch. My younger one (25) fancies gold coins. They both have indicated that they would be interested in some art, but they simply don’t know what to buy.

Now it is a lovely problem to have and both of them have turned to me for advice, but I am at a loss.

So WWSTW do?

Thanks
    Nick.

P.S. She is buying me a new jumper from M&S it is only the grandkids who are benefiting from her largesse.

kayak23

Diesel?

dyna-ti

Coins are very nice and will gain in value, a watch however you arent set and it’s going too be difficult to predict which brand will do well in the future.

bearnecessities

Christ, sounds like a headache more than a present!

dogbone

NFT’s

Those monkey ones.

qwerty
    Free Member

Family grave plot.

spooky_b329

Classic knickknack/bike/motorbike

Vintage or bespoke piece of furniture (small so it doesn’t become a problem to fit into their next/offsprings house)

Musical instrument

Whisky 🙂 (you can buy a young barrel and leave it with the distillery to age can’t you?)

kilo

Family grave plot

Cost more than two grand, only get them for 50 years here (burying my dad next week so just paid for one)

Grandmother in law left me £1000 this year, so far I’ve bought a vase that caught my eye and the rest will be going on an expensive walking stick / staff.

Watch for a £1000 might not be the most collectible but if it becomes a treasured daily wearer it will hopefully gather family history

pk13

Guitar?

edward2000
    Free Member

Gold

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Some high quality furniture?

z1ppy

Lego?

Onzadog
    Free Member

As one wants a watch, and the other some coins, I’d say problem solved. If it’s to be passed down the family, it needs to be quality and durable. Valuable is only important when you stop passing it down the line and sell it.

Cougar

I think I’d be saying something like “rather than spunk two grand up the wall on some random crap that your frankly weird ‘strings’ dictate, we’ll put it in the bank until we can find something we actually want.” Though paraphrased slightly. 😁

Because, WTF is a 25-year old going to with a grand’s worth of bullion? And a thousand pound watch that’ll spend its entire life in a drawer because he’ll be too scared to ever wear it? Madness, they’d be better off putting it towards a house deposit.

The answer to “I don’t know what to spend a grand on” is “well don’t, then.” IMHO, etc etc. You don’t create heirlooms by throwing money at something fairly arbitrarily, they evolve from something loved and treasured. My grandfather’s legacy to me was his old tea mug, it eventually died but I got daily pleasure from it for years. I could be wrong but don’t think it cost a grand.

Houns

C+H’s! Then buy a Casio digital watch

seriousrikk

Well that sounds like a very presumptious string to be attached to a present. What if they don’t wish to have children?

bruneep

not an investment, a physical thing that will hopefully appreciate in value over time.

confused by this bit.

Agreed does sound a headache to be honest

jambourgie
    Free Member

Literally anything that comes with a receipt to keep granny happy, then quick return to cash out for coke and hookers no?

JasonDS

I was gifted a similar amount around 2005 and bought an Omega Seamaster. Wear it everyday and remember who those lovely people are when I look at it.

ton

premium bonds.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Gnomes

monkeyboyjc

If going for art – it’s irrelevant what they buy as long as they like it, and will stick it on a wall….

Go to a couple of gallery’s and speak to the staff..

tall_martin

My son got his great great great grandfather’s watch.

My son is currently 3 and playing with a helicopter. I’m not sure how much value he is getting from the watch

I thought a sold silver 3 generation old watch would be worth loads. It’s worth £70 so it’s not paying his uni fees 🙄

No idea what that watch would hav cost originally. I suspect some shares for a similar cost might well have bought something useful.

I can’t imagine in 3 generations someone wouldn’t have needed the cash and the shares would be unlikely to still be in the family

dyna-ti

premium bonds.

No,they said as an investment 😆

davros

Wot cougar said.

Rich_s

It’s a very “old school” set of stipulations. My dad is a bit of a collector of “collectibles” and most, if not all, of it is basically worthless.
    My sister and I don’t see any heirloom value in any of it, and my kids don’t give a monkeys.
    The idea of get rich slow has been and gone. I knew one guy whose retirement planning was Rolf Harris paintings, which went well
    Times have changed. Just blow the cash. Or long term investment in shares or high interest account and hope it pays for a bit of uni.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

has to be spent on something that they can keep and pass down through their own families. Not technology, not an investment, a physical thing that will hopefully appreciate in value over time.

What a tedious ballache. So they have to work out what to buy, take care of it through the generations, but nobody is actually allowed to ever realise the asset and use it for something useful?

Great. Thanks granny.

I reckon a half krugerand is probably the easiest option. And then when granny croaks the kids can sell it and buy something useful, like 1/400th of a house.

mattyfez

Shares in Twitter? 😀

dc1988

Why not find an artist they like and commission them to paint something meaningful to them.

tractionman

depends what floats their boats I guess, but some decent antique jewellery perhaps, or ceramics, at least then it can be admired and enjoyed, and may accrue value, but who knows what the future holds anyway for any of us…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A decent secondhand guitar.

jkomo

Ballache.
    Tell her you want the money to spend as you see fit.
    C & H

MoreCashThanDash

C+H’s!

Should be able to pass that down the family too!

Edukator
    Free Member

Yamaha LL6

Merak

with a grand’s worth of bullion

A pair of earrings then. A bag of sand doesn’t go far in the gold market these days.

finbar
    Free Member

A watch seems like a fine suggestion. It’s vanishingly unlikely that anything at that pricepoint will actually appreciate, but your son could certainly get a fine Hamilton/Longines/Tissot.

sirromj

If it was for me and my family, with those conditions I’d get four prints from local artists. One each for my two children to go in their rooms, and two more for the house. I’d spend maybe ~£300 on the prints for the childrens rooms, the rest on the two for the house, which eventually would go to my children. Would visit several local galleries to see artwork first hand, drawing a shortlist, then another visit another time to whittle it down.

I remember growing up looking at a few paintings by my grandfather, I didn’t like them all that much, but I saw them and looked at them a lot and later in life learned to appreciate them. I guess they were just one of those constants throughout my early life.

Merak

Art is so subjective and would likey offer zero in return.

I’d go for two vintage Hamilton watches.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

A suit/nice coat or shoes.

sirromj

Art is so subjective and would likey offer zero in return.

That’s exactly the value of it, as something subjective prominent in your home. You’re nothing but a heathen <some other derogatory word> if you think that offers no return. Something that you might not immediately appreciate is even better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.