Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • £1000 to spend – WWSTW do?.
  • prettygreenparrot

Gnomes

This is what #1 child asked for for Christmas when asked what kind of token gift they’d like.

Gnomes are not cheap!

As several have said, this sounds like a PITA. Why can’t grandma do the thinking and get the kids a gift? Making it ‘heirloom’-like is strange. Best could be £1,000 of Vanguard tracker fund each. That could give a reasonable inheritable return.

Or art – as long as they like looking at it it doesn’t really matter whether it is heirloom value or tat to be disposed of on death.

If the kids have already said what they want – watch and gold then it’s all sorted.

dudeofdoom

I was gifted a similar amount around 2005 and bought an Omega Seamaster. Wear it everyday and remember who those lovely people are when I look at it.

I was thinking this.

Tbh I get grannies best intentions but it’s a bit of funny one as other than a watch there’s not much you can enjoy and pass on well other than a nice gold chain 🙂

I do like a bit of artwork but tbh you want a name and not sure you’ll get a Warhol print for that money.

cookeaa

£1k will score them 20g of gold apparently.
    What you do with it is the real question then. They’ve got to store it, and hight value metal filings are hardly an ‘heirloom’…

A watch like a solid investment, if £1k

Rich_s

I’m reminded by the conversation with my mum
    and auntie for my 18th birthday present. It didn’t go well when I asked for a pair of Rockshox Mag 21s 😁

I think my aunt was most bothered by it TBH and bought me some utter cack from Elizabeth Duke to “keep”.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Poor Granny! She sounds like she’s being cast as some Scrooge McGran and getting a bit of a roasting. Could it be possible that she said she’d like to get something nice for the grandkids, something they want and will keep that they could maybe pass on to their kids. Rather than the matriarchal zealot trying to ruin everyones life? I’m hoping the message from conversation with the op to forum post to forumites interpretation has been twisted along the way.

hellothisistom

Depending on thier living circumstances;a nice kitchen table? A potentially lasting item that becomes the centre of the house

Rich_s

That’s not a bad shout – but I’d tweak the table idea and say – pool table!

andybrad

watch or jewelry

NJA

Just to be clear, I share the PITA feelings, but her heart is in the right place and she has done a huge amount of family research to plot her family tree and one of her regrets is that she has nothing from her parents and grandparents generations.

I have researched a bit and son 2 could get three gold sovereigns from our local auction house. Son 1 is on the look out for the right vintage watch, again from auction rather than retail. I am aware of the potential issues with buying at auction, but my wife runs a home clearance company so we are comfortable with the risks. We are also very aware that most stuff ends up worthless in the end.

As for the kitchen table, the eldest needs a house to put one in, and we bought the younger one just that as a housewarming present when he moved into his first home.

Cougar

one of her regrets is that she has nothing from her parents and grandparents generations.

Totally understandable but, as I said before, would she really want something from her ancestors’ generations that has little sentimental value other than they went out and spent a lot of money once?

With respect, she’s going about this all wrong IMHO. Her ‘strings’ should be to go and find something that they love and will treasure, not merely an asset. “Hey son, this gold coin used to belong to your gran, it’s been in the family for ages.” – “Umm… thanks?”

The next generation isn’t going to care about a piece of artwork mum bought that they’ve likely hated all their lives or a posh watch that’s spent its life in a cupboard. If you’re lucky enough that they give the remotest of tosses at all then what they’re going to treasure is something that actually meant something to their parents / grandparents. Hurrying to spend two grand on “something” before Christmas is a mistake IMHO, if you are going to look for a special thing then that could take years.

Aidy
    Free Member

Titanium frame, obviously

earl_brutus

Chris King hubs – theyll last a lifetime!

duncancallum

Tbf I can see her point. Someone gave me a grand at 20 I’d have pissed it up the wall.

If I’d been told I had to spend it on something I’d not have wasted it I’d have some thoughts.

Here’s an odd thought, hand tools. Nice set of spanners or something they’ll last forever. I’ve some of my dad’s kit and I love it.

Even things like a set of kitchen knives etc

Rich_s

“Hey son, this gold coin used to belong to your gran, it’s been in the family for ages.”

up my ass

nickc

You can pick up Chagall (a friend of Matisse, painting at the same time) works for under £1000, Joan Miro (a contemporary of Picasso)  Lithographs can come on for less than £500. You can pick up David Hockney Lithographs for about a grand, Constable Engravings are surprisingly cheap as well. Reprints of Worhol regularly come up for £750.00. Living artists work can be had for under a grand. even larger Norman Ackroyd etchings are available for £800-950 ( and he’s really old, so bound to be worth more when he snuffs it!)

SSS
    Free Member

I think the point is something that can be handed down to the next generation. Im not sure shes getting at buying an investment, i think shes getting at something with more sentimental value that will be used by the person.

Yes, buy a watch/ring/chain/pocketwatch/(insert here what you like and would use keep and cherish) with the money, new or secondhand, get it engraved and wear/use it for the next few decades. Something that your children and great grandchildren would like and can say ‘this was my dads/grandads’

Mrs SSS has a pocket watch handed down from her grandfather. Its not expensive not worth much, and it was mass produced in the early 1900s. But he used it everyday and it is engraved and has great sentimental value, and will be handed down.

NJA

@Cougar – I think what she is trying to avoid is them going out and buying a new TV, I-pad, Laptop etc. Something that will be useless, out of date in a couple of years. Maybe I phrased it wrong in my original post.

VanHalen

when the wife got a small unexpected windfall we bought some art we liked. amazingly its actually gone up in value. and other people like it (we like it too!)

jamiemcf

Not quite a grand but I have my great grandad’s tie (he was quite short so it’s pretty neat on me) and my granny’s rolling pin (It’s now helped feed 5 generations).

jambourgie
    Free Member

A gun?

Would be a cool thing to inherit too.

corroded
    Free Member

Aside from the rather misguided strings attached (how hard is it find something for a grand that will appreciate?), I’d go for something unique rather than some ratty watch. I have a friend who buys a lot of art and has picked up pieces at degree shows etc (or those anonymous artist sales) that are now £20k or more but you have to get lucky. Personally, I’d commission a beautiful piece of furniture from someone like Angus Ross but looks like his dining tables start from £5k. You could get a bike for that.

Fueled
    Free Member

Hand tools as suggested above

What is the smallest patch of land that can be purchased? Buy a 10cmx10cm plot and plant a tree

A properly professional family photo? Give up any attempt at the appreciate ove time stipulation.

Some kit that will always be at least a bit useful? Camping stove etc

Lifetime national trust membership

sirromj

Just had a bright idea. A classic Chess/Backgammon board game – fun for all the family…. Took a look on Harrods. Gasped and threw that idea out the window, but you could get 1.8 sets of Traditional Pub Dominoes, maybe?

robola

Nice furniture is a good call. The decent stuff I have inherited is already coveted by the next generation. I think it imprints on people as sitting round a table forms a memory.

I’d commission a beautiful piece of furniture from someone like Angus Ross but looks like his dining tables start from £5k.

Angus Ross was showing at Pittenweem arts festival this year. Absolutely lovely pieces, if only I could afford them.

mboy
    Free Member

If it was me, I’d tell your mother to spend the money on herself, to enjoy it in her old age… Or to stop trying to force her old fashioned beliefs onto a modern generation.

The absolute last thing most youngsters want is a pointless keepsake that they have no interest in that in some way they are supposed to be bound to out of a sense of duty… I’d rather nothing than that!

Life is short and precious… Don’t overburden others out of your own sense of duty to feel bound by your standards… Give them the gift of liberty, be that by giving them sweet FA or by giving them something actually really bloody useful in the first place… The cash itself!

Cougar

@Cougar – I think what she is trying to avoid is them going out and buying a new TV, I-pad, Laptop etc. Something that will be useless, out of date in a couple of years. Maybe I phrased it wrong in my original post.

Sure. I can totally get behind “I want to give them some money but don’t want them to waste it.” But I’m kinda struggling to see how gold coins doesn’t tick the “useless” box.

IMHO they’d be better off spending it on a holiday or some other experience. Memories and stories last longer than things.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Mint Sauce key ring?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.