Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 10 year old Magura Martas
  • footflaps

So I found a pair of Magura Marta brakes in the workshop, can’t even recall which bike they came from. Anyway, stuck one on the front of my commuter last night (2006 Il Pompino) and so far it’s a bit ‘Meh’. I’ve not bled it or anything, but it seems to pinch the disc, just not much bite; enough for commuting to work, but no where near MTB levels. Are older brakes just a bit crap, or do they takes ages to wear in? Found some new Superstar pads (I say new, could also be 10 years old) and fitted those, so they are contamination free.

If it was full of air I’d expect the lever to go to the bar, which it doesn’t, it definitely stops compressing the mineral oil.

Thoughts?

tall_martin

I had some Magura Louise on a tandem at the same time as xt 7… and xtm8000.

The Louise were fine, power compatible to the xt.

I had some nuke proof pads in them.

BearBack
    Free Member

Contaminated pads and a decent bleed is needed assuming you don’t have a bust seal in the master. You can sometimes see fluid in the clear shield thingy where the lever drives the piston.

Marta and Louise (fr) were superb brakes from the era of the most spectacular DH brakes ever the Gustav.
    I’d have another set of Marta sl’s tomorrow if I could.

markrh
    Free Member

I’ve got some Marta SL’s of that vintage and they were brilliant brakes very light and powerful, lovely shaped carbon levers. But they leaked like a sieve.
    Still have them in the shed and occasionally think about getting them serviced/refurbished, although that might not be possible now…

drewd

I’ve a set of Marta SLs and really liked them. They had great modulation. As above though the front brake leaked from the master cylinder for fun.

I’ve never used a 4 pot brake and am very light so don’t need loads of power from my brakes. I’m also not a fast rider, so my experience may differ from others.

footflaps

Well I checked the reservoir last night, full. Left the lever to the bar with a rubber band overnight to encourage air to migrate up, which normally works. However, this morning I have no brake at all unless I pump the lever 20 times; so looks like a full bleed is needed. Can’t remember how to do this, it’s been so long….

salad_dodger

I’ve just had a look in my box of spares and found a brand new pair of Marta SL pads. If you want them Footflaps then give me your address details and I’ll send them on to you.

speccyguy
    Free Member

Were Marta the version with one static side and one moving piston? If the static side isn’t close to the disc then you’d get an incomplete grip on the disc. I also have a set of pads but as I’m foreign they’d cost more to post than a new bled brake set on close-out.

BearBack
    Free Member

Jude Monica for an youtube bleed tutorial. He was the pioneer of how to tech vids I reckon!

seadog101

Just on the point of Maguras aging well. One of my bikes has Julie HP set up. Circa 2008? Still work very well, Been bled a total one times.

I really should change the fluid.

footflaps

Well just changed the fluid, in the messiest way possible, undid the top reservoir cap and then undid the bleed thing in the calliper to insert the syringe, but it all poured out on the floor..

However, made a massive difference, they seem to work now, although squeal like a banshee.

NB It’s a Magura Louise, got confused thinking they were Martas, but I sold those on another bike…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘10 year old Magura Martas’ is closed to new replies.