Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • 10 Speed – who has it? What do you think?
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

How can you have ratios that are “too close”? They’re exactly the same as a 9spd 11-32 if you have the 11-36 cassette. If you have a 10spd 11-32 then surely you’re just in the perfect gear all the time?

What a strange issue to have.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – How can you have ratios that are “too close”? They’re exactly the same as a 9spd 11-32 if you have the 11-36 cassette. If you have a 10spd 11-32 then surely you’re just in the perfect gear all the time?

What a strange issue to have.

well, i’m running 11-34 and all i know is that when i hit a hill and need to grab a lower gear then in most cases one jump ain’t enough. furthermore, as the shifter is designed to shift three cogs with one push it’s a fair assumption that rather than being a strange issue this is in fact what shimano were expecting!

GavinB

It’s been possible to multi-shift up to 4 gears for quite some time with both Shimano and SRAM, at least with downshifting. Upshifting normally only 2. So, not really an issue, and certainly not some conspiratorial plot.

Longevity of kit will always be an issue as kit gets progressively lighter, but given that this kit is aimed at racers, longevity should not be of prime importance.

xanboy
    Free Member

I have run XT 10 speed as a double since June and had no problems what so ever.
    I have just replaced it with XTR 10 speed and it saved 1/2 pound over the XT.

njee20
    Free Member

I rode a Genius with 10 speed XT yesterday, my first foray into Shimano 10 speed.

Couldn’t really decide… The shift is incredibly light, stunningly so, but I found myself shifting too many gears, or constantly shifting ‘one and a half’ gears so it got a bit crunchy. I didn’t like the chainring sizes, found I was in the 42 for 95% of the ride, but creeping towards the top of the block, shifting into the middle and I was usually dropping down the block more. The shift on the front mech was excellent, but the thumb paddle was too far back I found (may be adjustable, didn’t check as it was a demo bike).

I prefer the more clicky shift of SRAM, and would probably use a 39/26 double, or just a single ring.

tang
    Free Member

1×10 on a 29er 32/11-36 xt and a wippermann chain with connex. just about right round here. the new xt shifter is mighty smooth.

metalheart
    Free Member

Tried 3×10 XT on a demo bike and CRC’d a groupo for the new frame… 😳

dasilva
    Free Member

XX here since April. Chain is way past the stretch limit and both rings are worn up front, cassette is probably well worn too but can’t tell from looking but everything works still so its all going to the grave together. For what its worth I believe wear rate is higher as the chain is narrower and from my experience has stretched rather quickly plus the teeth are narrower which means there’s less width across the contact with the chain rollers. I don’t find myself riding in easier gears.

Rode new XTR last weekend though. Cranks are very nice and still look smart after 150 miles of heel rub, brakes are my new favourite, not massively powerful but beautiful action and feel. That was 3×10 but I didn’t find myself pedalling any easier gears so wouldn’t say there was any less force on it.

I understand the SRAM chain is the same as the road one whereas the shimano are mtb specific for higher loads. Got to say I like the idea of this and hopefully it means they won’t stretch as quick but had a few issues with shimano chains recently including an Ultegra one which cracked in no less than 12 links. Got a Dura Ace replacement on warranty but not felt like using it yet. Might stick it on the XX to see how nailed the cassette is!

njee20
    Free Member

Fwiw I Changed my XX chain a couple of months ago, having done a full season, it was absolutely trashed, as was the big ring, but the cassette survived, I was impressed.

gothandy

I’m running 8,9 and 10 speed (across 3 bikes) all mostly XT (but a few bits of XTR and SLX). I never found much difference between 8 and 9 speed, if anything I always found the quality of the 8 speed kit was better than 9 speed (more aluminium less plastic!).

However I’m finding 10 speed to be noticeably better than the other two. I think it suits my riding style more. I rarely stand on my peddles to push up a hill, much preferring to spin up the hills. So the extra gears really help with keeping a steady cadence.

Also I do find myself using the front ring more, as in the granny ring you can shift much further up the rear cassette without the kind of problems I had with 8/9 speed doing the same. So on the really steep stuff again it suits my riding style.

So for me personally a 3×10 set up is a good step forward. With a traditional 3×8 being my runner up.

For what it is worth we have 10 fingers so 10 gears kinda makes sense 🙂

dasilva
    Free Member

Thanks njee – that makes me feel better!

Are the chainrings available seperately? – I’ve only seen them with the spider so far.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Ouch dasilva…worn out your XX in 6 months…that transmission must be more expensive to maintain than a car’s 😯

njee20
    Free Member

The spider with rings is the best value stupidly, I think the big ring is £105, no idea on the inner. I was really surprised by the cassette, far outlasted XTR or anything else I’ve had.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed – who has it? What do you think?’ is closed to new replies.