Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • 10 Speed – who has it? What do you think?
  • shortcut

Went riding on Tuesday night, one of the guys had recently fitted 10 speed SLX.

He broke his chain twice and binned the ride.

Who else has it? What is the failure rate? Is it worth the effort?

Discuss! 😀

For what it is worth I reckon you end up with 9 sprockets too many on the back and 2 surplus chainrings. But that may just be me!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Did he put the chain on the right way – they’re directional now…

Can’t say I’ve had any issues and I kinda like it. Reckon wear rate won’t be any worse because I think the chain is under less stress with smoother front shifting to closer ratios.

Wouldn’t have rushed out and bought it but I was given a set, it works, there are benefits to the riding experience but they’re not ground breaking.

shortcut

Directional chain! I have no idea! 🙄

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I’ve got it on my bikes. It’s saved about 1lb in weight which I consider to be not insignificant, especially on my race bike, without losing any important gears.

I’ve had a zero failure rate in roughly 2 months.

brakes
    Free Member

zero failure rate

🙂 you mean it hasn’t broken?

Andy

SpokesCycles how did you save a pound in weight?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

With some incredibly expensive components!

ojom
    Free Member

I took home an X7 2×10 set up last night but wont get round to fitting til weekend or further. I will be reporting over winter.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member

I’ve had a zero failure rate in roughly 2 months.

How? 😳 😉

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve just gone 1×10 (slx) but haven’t ridden it yet … seems alright sat in the workshop 😉

poppa
    Free Member

I’ve got it on my bikes. It’s saved about 1lb in weight

I find that hard to believe! What were you using before, Shimano’s LTD edition gruppo made from lead?!

J0N
    Free Member

…Reckon wear rate won’t be any worse because I think the chain is under less stress with smoother front shifting to closer ratios.

What is it that wears quicker? I can’t see any reason for the chain wearing quicker. So is it the thinner cogs of the cassette that were?

ross980
    Free Member

I remember the old days when my fully rigid Trek had 3×7 STX-RC, those gears never ever went wrong (nor did the rest of the bike) despite some pretty serious abuse. Makes me wonder if less is sometimes more…

Sorry, totally off topic <puts rose tinted glasses back on and goes back to nostalgic daydreaming>

njee20
    Free Member

It’s saved about 1lb in weight which I consider to be not insignificant,

Not changing to an identical 10 speed groupset you didn’t, so that’s not really fair.

I’ve had XX for a year now, nothing’s broken, the big ring’s worn out, the jockeys wore out and I’ve not changed the chain, so that and the cassette are now shagged! It’s alright, nothing special, shifts very well, but so did the 9 speed stuff. The wider range cassette making a single/double more practical is a big bonus though IMO, and the main reason it’s worthwhile.

GaryLake
    Free Member

What is it that wears quicker? I can’t see any reason for the chain wearing quicker. So is it the thinner cogs of the cassette that were?

Chain and cassette cogs are thinner so arguably will wear quicker. But because the front chainset ratios are closer I reckon it will wear quite well due to less harsh/clumsy front shifting.

gothandy

So far so good. I’ve got 3×10 and find the shifting super smooth and great for keeping a high cadence while shifting. No problems yet on the durability front, and done some big rides.

Blacklug
    Free Member

My enduro bike is kitted with the 10speed gearing.
    Done lots of gloopy, hard miles these last few months, with no problems.

crazy-legs

3 x 10 SLX here as well. Saved some weight over the mix and match of components that were on there before. It’s never missed a shift, it’s as precise as older XTR, very smooth and the bonus of the new chainring sizes is that you spend far more time in the middle ring as the ratios are better. Means less front shifting and it’s designed to give the best pedalling response on full sus bikes (most of which are have the pivot point positioned to be optimum when the chain is on the middle ring).

Directional chain is a bit more faffy, it’s more of a pain that the 10sp road chains aren’t compatible and I *wish* they still did Dual Control shifters. Even now I still occasionally try shifting by flicking the brake lever before remembering that it’s RapidFire+. 👿

tang
    Free Member

will 10spd powerlinks fit these chains?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Is it only SRAM 10 speed chains that have a direction? … I ask as my Shimano chain doesn’t have any markings indicating direction and there was nothing in the packet to suggest it should be fitted a certain way round.

tang
    Free Member

im pretty sure the xtr is directional.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Mines no xtr 😉

tang
    Free Member

neither will mine! just a vague memory from all the press. anyone tried a powerlink?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Haven’t tried a powerlink but I did notice CRC are doing Brand X 10 speed powerlink copies.

dreednya

Running SRAM XX shifter, cranks and front mech with X0 10 speed rear mech and XT cassette. Awesome, seems to make total sense for both AM riding and enduro riding. Shifting is as crisp as anything and gear ratios seem to compliment my style of riding :). Only miss the 44 big ring on long fireroad and road descents – need to crank faster!

Definitely upgrading my hard tail to it when the 9-speed X9 wears out. I have had to change the chain after 6 months, but that was pretty heavy riding (3-5 rides a week 15 – 64 miles per ride), but as SRAM 10 speed chains utilise the powerlock links I can’t swap over chains easily without splitting the chain each time.

simondbarnes

Is it only SRAM 10 speed chains that have a direction?

I wasn’t aware that SRAM 10spd chains were directional. The Shimano ones are, the writing on them goes to the outside.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ta, means it’s the right way round then.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Running XT 3×10, so far its done two horrendous Big Dog laps in horrific conditions and 2 D2D laps in what can only be described as Somme like conditions; both times it was very well behaved, sure the shifting slowed a little once the derailleur turned into a muddy metallic lump but other than that its been fine.

The cogs are very thin though so durability maybe an issue but so far so good.

supertacky
    Free Member

Watching this thread with interest as I’m considering chnaging from 2×9 to 1×10 in teh near future on my trail bike.

The only advantage I can see at the moment seems to be teh ability to drop front mech and run single riung up front.

I would be running a chain device to which would negate loss of fornt mech.

Suppose the bars may look a bit less cluttered.

trailertrash

For me the main upside of 10 speed is the plethora of cheap 9 speed stuff out there being dumped by the big on-line players at the moment 🙂 Time to stock up! I’m running 2×9 double and bash and it suits me well.

peath
    Free Member

’tis me that shortcut mentioned… The 10 speed Shimano chain was directional, and fitted correctly (at least before the first snap, second time round it was hurriedly slapped on in the dark!) – as mentioned above writing on the outside.

Had done about 100 miles before it snapped…

I fitted a SRAM 10spd chain this weekend, with a few extra power links purchased at the same time… Just in case! Let’s see what happens in the dark on Tuesday!!

Heres hoping it was a bit of bad luck…

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i’ve had 10 speed slx for a couple of months now but haven’t been out of middle ring yet so i guess 20 of the gears are wasted 😥

GaryLake
    Free Member

peath: be interested in hearing how you get on withe the SRAM chain on Shimano 10 speed…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I remember this arguement with 8 speed, 9 speed, disc brakes, slide on cassettes etc

It’ll never catch on. 😆

peath
    Free Member

Just a quick update… SRAM 10spd chain on 10spd SLX still holding up after quite a few miles now… I guess it was either a dodgy Shimano chain or user error. Anyhooo everything seems to be running smoothly and I’ll be sticking to SRAM chains – shifts well and hasn’t caused any issues…

lifepath1
    Free Member

what about 1×10, single front middleburn in 36t
    raceface deus crank arms, sram xo 9speed shifting

can you use xx casette and rear mech with xo shifters

bol

No and yes

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

gone right off my 10 speed, i think the ratios are too close, i’ve started shifting 2 at a time which is much better, still haven’t been out of middle ring so effectively i’m now only running a 1×5. fitting an 8 speed alfine this week, that might do the trick!

juiced
    Free Member

i still run 8spd 🙄

MisterT

fwiw – I don’t use 10spd offroad – but run 2 road bikes with 10spd, and found that the chain stretches much quicker than 9spd. I now have to replace 10spd chains ~every 6 to 9 months on road bikes where I used to get ~2 years for the same useage (SRAM Red and Force).

so don’t think 10spd MTBing is for me, as my 9spd MTB chains only get 4 months use before they are >.75 stretched (gritstone grinding paste round here)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed – who has it? What do you think?’ is closed to new replies.