• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 10 speed cassette with all separate rings…
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Does it exist? Trying to find a 10 speed mountain bike cassette, something with a big ole’ range like somewhere between 11-36, maybe 12-36 where all the cassette rings are separate, so not pinned or on a spider. Long story short, got an idea for a very small cassette on the hope singlespeed wheels that will take 7 sprockets…

So far the ones I’ve seen all seem to be be connected in one way or another. Back in my day they came separate….. (tailing off into an old-man rant)

JoB
    Free Member

no

Jeff Jones modifies cassettes to fit onto singlespeed hubs, if you had the machines and skills you could do something similar yourself

nickjb
    Free Member

More likely on a cheaper one. Pretty sure the last deore one I took apart was all separate. Heavy, though. They are rivetted so you need to remove the rivets by force (drill the end, hacksaw between the sprockets or hammer and pin punch).

breadcrumb

I’ve had 7 on a Hope SS hub using a XT cassette. I wouldn’t like to drop any if the in-between sprockets, I think it may screw the shifting up.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

I’ve got a 10 speed hub that I used with an expander that got rid of the 15/17 for the one-up 16t, thought If i could get away with finding a separate 28 or 30t and a bit of play with a b-screw. It’d climb like crap but for a play bike should be fine. Saves me nicking (borrowing… ahem) the wheels from the mrs’ bike

cp

Cheap deore are just pinned, drill the head off and boom, you have a cassette full of individual rings and plastic spacers.

jfb01
    Free Member

If it is any help,I bought a 9 speed Sunrace 11 – 36 cassette from Merlin a couple of weeks ago.All the cogs were separate & held together by one bolt.My guess is the 10 speed would be the same.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

<span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>All</span> the cogs were separate & held together by one <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>bolt</span>

I mean that just doesn’t sound safe! I’ll see if anyone I know has a sunrace I can take a look at.

scotroutes

I was going to suggest the Sunrace too. There’s one bolt and a couple of pins. Personally, I don’t like them as you can end up with a bit of play. I’m not totally convinced it causes any problems, it just “bothers” me…..

cookeaa

Cheap deore are just pinned, drill the head off and boom, you have a cassette full of individual rings and plastic spacers.

This.

Done it several times before, nobody died to death… Yet.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Done it several times before, nobody died to death… Yet.

Have you got any still knocking about by any chance? 😉

philjunior
    Free Member

I remember some of the shimano ones used to have bolts rather than rivets through, I’m guessing from the responses above these don’t exist in 10s.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Doesn’t look that way. Sram 9sp looks to have got separate rings, but then it’s the dodgeyness of using a 9-speed  28t ring with a 10sp cassette and just becomes all kind of hell

TiRed

Miche 10-speed road cassettes are single sprocket. You may need to swap spacers for MTB usage. They go pretty big too. I used a junior cassette for my nephew as there are gear restrictions for racing by age. About £25 on ebay and have seldom had a hard life.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Miche 10-speed road cassettes

You may have just nailed it. There’s a 12-29 that I reckon would do nicely on ebay at the minute if he’ll take a bit of an offer on it. I think out of that I’ll be able to fashion a reasonable 7 speed 10 speed cassette

weeksy

Yes….. SRAM PG1020

I’ve got one here to donate to your cause if you want it FoC.

the biggest/2nd are together, but the rest are completely.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have the set up you’re taking about on my dirt jump bike – 10 speed SRAM cassette cut down onto a Hope SS freehub. I just bought a SRAM cassette from the bottom end of the range, put a big screwdriver behind the biggest cog and pop it apart. Then use the spacers to form a new cassette.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

I’ve got one here to donate to your cause if you want it FoC.

That would be absolutely amazing man! Where abouts are you based? If you’re not local I’m obviously happy to send you some money for the postage and what not!

weeksy

Where abouts are you based? If you’re not local I’m obviously happy to send you some money for the postage and what not!

Newbury way.

If an issue, ping me a mail, it’s in profile.

paton
    Free Member

Marchisio sprockets

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘10 speed cassette with all separate rings…’ is closed to new replies.