Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1 x 10 mech confusion
  • superstu
    Free Member

Evening all

Apologies that this has been done before no doubt, but I have searched and can’t find the answers…

Looking to go from 2 x 10 to 1 x 10 to free up the left of my bar for a dropper. I have 1 x on my FS and love it.

However I’m seeing conflicting things on other sites about mechs and cassette capatabilty.

I was looking at the sunrace 11-42 cassette as it seems better than an expander, but would this work with my existing deore rear mech (M615 shadow plus normal GS Cage)?

docrobster
    Free Member

Most likely, would possibly need longer b screw or even better a goat link or rad cage for slicker shifting.
    I’m running sunrace 11-42 with a standard Deore gs mech no issues. On the other bike with 11-40 and a zee short cage mech I needed to add a goat link to get it to work properly

vincienup
    Free Member

Sort of, is unfortunately the most truthful response you’ll get as it depends on more factors than any one person is likely to have come across in one bike.

Many confuse the capacity of the derailleur cage with the number of teeth on the cassette big cog. Unless you’re trying to run a super short road mech or a double or more up front this will never be an issue.

Cassette coverage is the problem, and unfortunately Shimano have the worst time of it due to the placement of pivot points, jockey wheels and shape of cage. The SRAM RD geo suits the bigger cassette far better and is a better option if you have the choice as you definitely need no extra parts that way.

You may get away with winding the B screw all the way or maybe even turning it round, or you may find that you still need more to sort out the shifting accuracy and that’s when you’ll want to start looking at goat links or Radr cages etc. If you’re really unlucky it might still shift like crap after lavishing all the time and possibly parts on it.

None of which is meant to put you off, just to highlight that it’s not always the easy choice and may possibly not work for you depending on parts choices and pickiness about shift quality. It might be worth trying to ride with a regular 11-36 and maybe drop a couple of teeth up front for a while and see how it goes if going to 11 really isn’t an option?

superstu
    Free Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated

joebristol

If you find you can’t get it working then I’d recommend a sram GX 10 speed rear mech. I get one on offer from Cycle Republic and it’s working great with a sunrace 11-42cassette.

Did my first proper ride in 6 months yesterday (post shoulder op) and got loads of PR’s on Strava bizarrely. Not that I’m fast uphill at all. The easiest gear 32-42 should be the same as the easiest gear I had before. Although the 32 tooth chainring I’m using now is oval / maybe that’s helped.

I cleared a few uphill bits I don’t normally manage at Cwmcarn which was nice.

nickc

You might struggle with the GS mech?. The subrace cassette is an Ok solution in of itself, but a SGS rear mech would be my preferred choice

superstu
    Free Member

Thanks all, maybe I will bite the bullet and go 1 x 11

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I got the 10 sp sunrace cassette as the bike came 2x 10 with an SLX cassette which would need the rivets taking out to fit an expander ring.
    Im using it with an 11sp xt mech. It works fine and no need for a goat link or rad cage as they can handle the 42 no probs without messing with the b screw. That’s the short cage version with an slx 10 sp shifter.

Worth considering. No need for new shifters then but you have the option in the future to change to 11sp without a the need for a new mech.

Sometimes a 10sp mech will work with the 42 t but it’s a bit of a lottery. And I found it more difficult setting up the shifting and the shifting wasn’t as good. At the time I ended up using a rad cage which made the shifting spot on but the 11sp wasn’t out then.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1 x 10 mech confusion’ is closed to new replies.