Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1-11 or 1-12 on a 26” – Can it be done
  • toolzenith73
    Free Member

Might have been touched on elsewhere but can’t find anything on search but looking to (if possible) switch to a 1-11 or 1-12 on my 26”
    Currently running Crank Bros cobalt rims with Shimano 9 speed
    Any help / advice appreciated

Thanks in advance

scotroutes

Shimano 11 speed MTB cassettes use the same freehub as the 9 speed you already have.

mashr

Gearing is not wheel size specific

ratherbeintobago

Gearing is not wheel size specific

To a point. You might need a bigger chainring with smaller wheels; if your frame can only take a 32t single ring (which mine does) it might be a bit low-geared on a 26er.

StuF

You’ll struggle to find a 26″ wheel with a microspline hub unless you have it custom built

tomhoward

Short answer, yes it can.

Specifics depend on brand preference and budget.

Matt24k
    Free Member

11 speed is simple. As mentioned above check the max size front chain ring you can run, especially on a full suspension bike.
    You did not mention the crankset that you are currently running but many can be single ringed although you will probably need shorter chain ring bolts.
    All you need except the front chain ring and bolts linky

BigJohn

Doesn’t the NX 11-50 12 speed cassette fit on a standard freehub?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Running NX 11 speed on my 26er Spesh Stumpy Evo.

32 tooth narrow wide ring, NX shifter and mech, Shimano cassette with 42 tooth bottom gear. Some random 11 speed chain.

Works perfectly.

Could do with a slightly lower bottom gear still as its hilly here in mid-Wales, but that would mean a new mech.

swanny853

Other half has 1×12 on her 26” pivot. The rear mech is starting to look a little long for the wheel but all runs fine!

rossburton
    Free Member

Sure, my Rocket26 is 1×11 with the M8000 XT drivechain. Good old 32×11-42 on a traditional freehub, but I’ve Hope hubs so could trivially swap the freehub to use newer Microspline or XD cassettes.

tomhoward

Doesn’t the NX 11-50 12 speed cassette fit on a standard freehub?

Yeah. And the SX.

toolzenith73
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input so far , as I previously said currently running 1-9 XT with XT crankset and 32T ring
    Moving forward will probably go XT or maybe XTR preowned in 11
    Anyone rate the Sunrace MX8 cassette ?

Cheers

DickBarton

Yes it can…done it on a Frog 69 – NX eagle cassette and GX Eagle mech and shifter. Shifts well.

I’m thinking of updating my 26″ hardtail and likely to go GX Eagle…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1-11 or 1-12 on a 26” – Can it be done’ is closed to new replies.