• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • andeh

Decided to do some sprints tonight (god knows why), some horrible stepped workout, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m a bit of a diesel. No power at higher RPM at all, so could do with fixing that. Ideas?

Also, the auto resistance seemed to flop about all over the place, some sprints I’d be in top gear at 110rpm and barely scraping 250w, others I’d be bottom of the middle ring, doing 80rpm and knocking out 400w. I think next time I’ll turn off the auto resistance for sprints.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I plan on doing the evr cat c ride tomorrow at 8pm
    if anyone fancies it?

markgraylish
    Free Member

I think next time I’ll turn off the auto resistance for sprints.

Eh? Is this something ‘non-smart’ trainers have? I’ve got a Tacx Vortex Smart and I don’t see such a setting (I have a choice of 3 second average power display verses instant power display)

The problem I’m having is getting the resistance high enough, fast enough for very short interval sprints (my biggest weakness). For instance, I rode ‘Jon’s Short Mix’ workout tonight as I was too late to race. Anyway, this workout calls for 3 x 10 second sprints @ 3 x FTP (over 900W for me).
    As I passed under the start point, the resistance barely increased for a couple of seconds so I had to up my cadence dramatically (probably 130+ rpm) and eventually the power numbers came up – but only to around 700W before the 10 seconds was over.
    For the second interval, I started sprinting before the start point – again I was probably spinning around 130+ rpm and I got my best result but even so, nearer 775W rather than 900W. The third interval was a waste of time – I think I topped out around 600W
    Granted, I don’t think I’m capable of 900W and I don’t think my Vortex can handle that resistance either, but my natural cadence is low 80’s – so I’m pretty sure I’m running out of stream prematurely ‘cos I’m spinning so damn fast.
    Any ideas for getting the power up quickly without resorting to stupidly high cadence?

nathb
    Free Member

@markgraylish Strange, the vortex is rated to 950w 10 sec brake (75kg rider), assuming you’re in the hardest gear I’m not sure on that.

crosshair
    Free Member

I think he was referring to Erg mode where the trainer sets the wattage for you for each interval.

(I hate it- I can’t ever seem to get my cadence right)

Jason
    Free Member

Mark, for the 10 second intervals try to go into them with a low cadence (maybe 50-60 rpm) then increase your cadence as the interval starts, that gives the trainer a bit more chance to deliver the resistance. Works on my Neo.

andeh

Yeah, sorry, ERG mode. I’m just not going to connect it as a smart trainer next time, so it should just increase resistance with speed.

nathb
    Free Member

Oh, never used ERG mode 😳

My legs are knackered today & achy, so definitely a gentle spin later to ease myself into the weekends cycling shenanigans. I think the 3.1 mile TT did more than I expected.

weeksy

Struggled massively this week due to a work night out. Set out this morning for a 2 hour Zwift ride, but only managed 50 mins… I did do a decent short KOM climb and walloped my best… but overall i was rubbish. Drinking may be fun on the 2-3 nights a year i do it, but it absolutely wipes me out.

fisha
    Free Member

the resistance barely increased for a couple of seconds so I had to up my cadence dramatically (probably 130+ rpm) and eventually the power numbers came up – but only to around 700W before the 10 seconds was over.

There is a setting in the zwift control panel page which swaps between whether to display instant power reading (updated basically every second-ish) and an averaged power calculated over 3 seconds … if yours is set at 3 seconds, it may be that your trainer’s resistance is being set based on that 3 second average … which wouldn’t start rising until 3 seconds into the interval. Maybe worth checking the settings?

They instant power means you fluctuate a lot around your target power on an interval, but it keeps you focussed a bit more I think.

markgraylish
    Free Member

@nathb,@ crosshair: yep, Im in erg mode so I shouldn’t need to change gears

@jason: that sound like a good idea – I’ll give that a whirl when I next try intervals…hopefully not too soon!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I might be joining the Zwift rides next week as my new Neo will be here 8)

MSP

I ended up getting a kinetic smart control unit, just set it up and gave it a quick spin on zwift, works fine using my phone as a bluetooth relay, and my other sensors using ant+

Even on a 5 min test spin it is obvious that the power control really adds immersion into zwift that was missing using my old kinetic dumb trainer. I think I will have to turn the realism down as I found myself changing gears where the change in incline really wasn’t evident graphically.

But I won’t do any more tonight as it is a beer night.

zilog6128

Well I might be joining the Zwift rides next week as my new Neo will be here

have you had a dispatch notification then? Or did you get fed up & order from elsewhere?!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Zilog, managed to get a good deal locally so cancelled my amazon order 🙂

eruptron
    Free Member

Sorry for this basic question, Why can’t I view my activities? I have a list of Half a dozen including the fitness test but I can’t go into them to view any detail. Could anyone tell me if this is all the info you get or is there a way a accessing this info in more detail?

iancity1
    Free Member

Got my first ever trainer last week thanks to this thread. Using it when the little un goes to sleep and wor lass is at work – so a couple of rides into it and then first ever race last night. I know I am useless, have a really low FTP, just cant produce any power but thought it would be fun entering a race. soon as the banner went up at the start I was last one, and stayed that way for the duration, took me 50 odd minutes to complete the lap of London (14 miles I think). Wasn’t even close, 2nd last was 3 minutes ahead of me :-).
    BUT, loved it, really enjoyed it and the whole thing gives me such an incentive to carry on, and instead of watching tv between 7.30 and 9.30 at night, get somem rides in 🙂

markgraylish
    Free Member

Sorry for this basic question, Why can’t I view my activities? I have a list of Half a dozen including the fitness test but I can’t go into them to view any detail. Could anyone tell me if this is all the info you get or is there a way a accessing this info in more detail?

Perfectly valid question and somewhat of a flaw with current version. You either need to take a screen shot when the results pop up or link to a third party account such as Strava. You can then analyse in Strava…

mlpinto
    Free Member

Wow – getting this going is tougher than I expected. My Tacx 2240 turned up today. I installed the tacx utility on my android phone and updated the firmware – so far so good. The Tacx app shows my speed, etc.

Next to link to Zwift – Mobile app installed and zwift on laptop – after a lot of starting, restarting, etc I finally got the 2240 showing up as a power meter and cadence sensor, but not as a controllable trainer.

Coming back to it after some food I now can’t get it to link at all. A quick google suggested some issues with android bluetooth so I tried my wife’s iphone and my tablet with no better luck.

I can consistently get the trainer to show up in the Tacx utility app and get a link from the Zwift mobile app to the PC, but can’t get any further than that.

If anyone had any suggestions they will be greatly welcomed. Meanwhile I am off to hunt for a cheap ant dongle.

eruptron
    Free Member

Perfectly valid question and somewhat of a flaw with current version. You either need to take a screen shot when the results pop up or link to a third party account such as Strava. You can then analyse in Strava…

Have got it linked to Strava but wasn’t sure if you could find out more info in Zwift especially about the fitness test.
    At least it’s not just me going mad looking for something that isn’t there. Cheers for that info.

fisha
    Free Member

I read that if zwift fails to upload, then you can do it manually as zwift saves a data file of each ride. Ive not looked at the file but i presume that it could be looked at by other programs for analysis.

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah it’s just a .fit file saved on their website: https://my.zwift.com/
    I think also they are stored in: C:\Users\NAME\Documents\Zwift\Workouts until uploaded to the site.

I’ve been approached by a team this evening, may add an extra dimension to Zwift. 🙂

@mrblobby Let us know when you are on it.
    Are you going to say what the damage was? 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Oooooh. Which team Nath? (BRT?)

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah, did you read that from my strava comments @crosshair? 😆
    I think anyone can join them though?

markgraylish
    Free Member

Wow – getting this going is tougher than I expected. My Tacx 2240 turned up today. I installed the tacx utility on my android phone and updated the firmware – so far so good. The Tacx app shows my speed, etc.

Next to link to Zwift – Mobile app installed and zwift on laptop – after a lot of starting, restarting, etc I finally got the 2240 showing up as a power meter and cadence sensor, but not as a controllable trainer.

Coming back to it after some food I now can’t get it to link at all. A quick google suggested some issues with android bluetooth so I tried my wife’s iphone and my tablet with no better luck.

I can consistently get the trainer to show up in the Tacx utility app and get a link from the Zwift mobile app to the PC, but can’t get any further than that.

If anyone had any suggestions they will be greatly welcomed. Meanwhile I am off to hunt for a cheap ant dongle.

I suggest you shut down the Tacx Utility aand Zwift Mobile link on the phone and also switch Bluetooth off. Try to connect Zwift and check everything works on on the laptop. I *think* multiple device or apps trying to connect via BT causes these types of problems
    If you can connect this way, you can then fire up Bluetooth on the phone and launch the mobile link…

weeksy

Hmmmm. What to ride today, that’s the question.

The Zwift race at 4.15 is looking a good candidate although a bit low in numbers for much excitement. Nothing else really jumping out at me.
    P=race has a few more riders but is 3ish start and i’m not sure i’ll be back from family visiting with enough time.
    Ideally i wanted a race about 8am… seems to be a lack of racing around this sort of time, espeically at weekends.

seifahmad
    Free Member

For those interested parties zwift is now on ios

siwhite
    Free Member

For those interested parties zwift is now on ios

For iPad? Had a look but it’s not appearing anywhere…. fingers crossed, it’s a pain dragging the laptop out to the workshop each time.

blader1611
    Free Member

Cant seem to find it it if you search in the app store so i am currently downloading it to my ipad via the link sent in the email from zwift.

crosshair
    Free Member

Nath- No, it was a guess as they’re the biggest talent-whores for scooping up newbies 😉 😀

seifahmad
    Free Member

go to the zwift website on ios device. it will link you to the app store from there

jam-bo

Zwift by Zwift, Inc
    https://appsto.re/gb/azxOdb.i

mrblobby
    Free Member

Splendid news on the app, just in time 🙂

@mrblobby Let us know when you are on it.
    Are you going to say what the damage was?

Good enough to make me cancel my Amazon order which was for 850 🙂 Though I notice it’s now back down from about 1060 to 870, curiously happened at about exactly the same time that I cancelled my order. Still out of stock though.

weeksy

Nath- No, it was a guess as they’re the biggest talent-whores for scooping up newbies

They must have spelled my username wrong when trying to contact me.. easy mistake…

jam-bo

Just had a look at the app and it looks good. Bit small on iPhone though, I’ll stick to the laptop/ANT+ setup.

Be interesting to see how stable the Bluetooth is, I always had issues on trainerroad iOS app with Bluetooth sensors losing connection and taking ages to reconnect. Irritating in a training session but in a race would be really frustrating.

nathb
    Free Member

FINALLY got the iOS Zwift app up and running this morning! Graphics look good enough for me, squirrel thing is annoying already though haha. Will test it out properly later this evening.

@crosshair – oh ha, I joined their FB group will have a snoop around!
    😆 @weeksy & @mrblobby

wilfie
    Free Member

Weeksy thanks for starting the post it’s motivated me to try Zwift. Started out dragging my old minoura trainer out of the loft and then picked up a wahoo kicker snap in the Black Friday sales – £100 off makes it slightly easier to justify to the OH.

Using a Wahoo HRM and Cadence sensor with the Anself ANT+ USB has been super easy to setup.

Took part in the ZZRC Sub 2 group ride last night which adds some motivation to ride rather than veg out in front of the TV-got some kudos on Strava which was a nice friendly surprise!

The Strava premium trial that comes with the trainer gives me free Zwift until the end of December which is nice too.

Overall I’m really impressed-I’ve been able to do a hard workout with just a spare hour, previously using a dumb trainer and watching films I struggled to get past 30 mins.

I’ve got good lights and enjoy night MTB riding but all the prep/drive/cleanup time on top of a night ride makes it all a bit of an effort for a mid-week ride compared to an hour on Zwift to probably achieve about the same effort.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve stopped riding the junk miles in freezing wet slippery conditions to work everyday and used the time I save to put the kids to bed then Zwift – group rides and training so far. Some of the group rides are really well run and include some HIT intervals which get suitably competitive.

Its brilliant for the winter. The realism of drafting and resistance matching the gradient in the road is great. Im on the most budget setup – just got a t2240 nothing else and its fine. Any suggestions for a cheap HRM?

Someone should start a STW group ride.

wilfie
    Free Member

I’m using the Wahoo Tickr which is £39.99-don’t think it’s got great reviews but seems to work fine so far. I went with this for its connectivity as its both ANT+ and Bluetooth so connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth or ANT+ To my PC For zwifting.

I bought the wahoo Reflkt bike computer as it was on offer (£24.99) so if I venture outside I can use this paired with my phone.

There’s probably better/cheaper options but this works for me.

nathb
    Free Member

Ah I got caught up in the ZZRC gride last night

I use this Bluetooth HRM as it came with my running watch, it’s only £10 more than the unbranded ones though: HRM

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.