• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • thv3
    Free Member

Was planning to be on last night, but was held up by work.

Anyone planning to do the 8pm KISS TT?

nathb
    Free Member

Yep. I’ll be there about to log in now, aiming to beat my 21:44 on the last KISS TT.

nathb
    Free Member

F%*{ it.

I give up. 8 miles into it my phone decides it doesn’t want to talk to Bluetooth devices.

wilburt
    Free Member

Titanium Geek

ZWIFT GUIDE

Use this to analysis your sytem stats

Zwiftalizer

nathb
    Free Member

Nothing’s wrong my PC it’s Bluetooth via mobile link on my phone.

Can’t get it to keep a connection to anything – HRM/Cadence or Trainer. So I give up trying to do races until the iOS app.

8 miles into that I was about 5th with more in the tank too.

wilburt
    Free Member

This was why I asked how others where managing with Bluetooth, I personally have never found it reliable so stick with ANT+ given the choice.

thv3
    Free Member

Well that was bloody hard, but new FTP of 265.

Having a look on Zwiftpower at the live results, and I seem to have been Classed as a “U”, despite me using the format Name KISS (C)?

Am I missing something?

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah I’m wondering if my Ant+ dongle can reach from the study to my setup in the garage directly below it. I’ll give it a go tomorrow night.

10.5km into the race I was only 9 seconds from the leader. 😡

I think Zwiftpower is stuck on 10.5km at the moment, well it is for me. I wouldn’t take the data as gospel until tomorrow.

mlpinto
    Free Member

@nathb – thanks I will try it that way, bit judging by your later comments I may find myself investing in an ANT dongle!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Found out tonight the Zwift ‘power’ reading is limited to 1200 watts unless I buy a fancy pants trainer.

Not ideal when in the middle of a sprints training session 🙂

I wish there were a few more KISS races starting earlier. At 8pm I’ve got zero motivation to get on the turbo trainer.

nathb
    Free Member

@mlpinto it has been perfect up until now.

The only things that have failed are: the power to my router, the garage door coming off, remote desktop crashing on my pc so racing blind and now mobile link failing.

Roll on the iOS app!!

dogthomson

When’s the iOS app due out? I may hold off buying a new laptop if I can run it on my iPad.

crosshair
    Free Member

Hob nob, have a browse around, ZTR races are 18:30 and are just as slick. The only difference is that PU’s and TT bikes are banned. They often have some longer races too and the starts aren’t quite as manic.

Then, if you look around to different timzones, you’ll find stuff like SZR (Swedish Zwift Race) and ODZ (one of the few series enforcing a neutral start in some of their races) running some great events.
    EVR, Bolt Racing Series and of course, The Friday Criterium are other top brands and then you have some niche races like the ZHR Hare and Hounds.

My impression is that KISS are angling to be ‘the’ race series when racing finally gets too big for Zwift to ignore which is why they pioneer so much stuff these days.
    But their races aren’t necessarily better…..

matt_bl
    Free Member

Third time lucky! I finally got everything organised and lined up for the KISS TT tonight.

Painful stuff, my legs still feel like jelly, but really enjoyed it. Like THV3, I have also been listed as U, so clearly the third time wasn’t the charm that I imagined. I’ve checked strava and the race hasn’t transferred over.

Was it just me or do you get lower power on the TT bike, tonight was the first time i’ve used one.

Matt

fisha
    Free Member

Not sure about lower power, but you don’t get drafting effect AFAIK.

Pierre

An update on the power readings: I was right, the Tacx WAS reading high. Compared to the calibrated readings on the normally-pretty-accurate Stages crank, the numbers the Tacx was feeding Zwift were 10-15% higher, which wasn’t physically possible.

However, I downloaded the “Tacx Utility” app for my iPhone and ran that, which updated the firmware and then calibrated the unit (it needs a LOT of pressure between the roller and the tyre!) and the numbers started looking more normal. The Stages and the Tacx were usually within 1-3W of each other, which was quite reassuring.

…of course, it meant that my “new FTP” from my first ride has to be discounted, because it was erroneously measured, but at least it gives me something to train for!

The cadence issue was also fixed by using the Stages as the cadence sensor, although that’s highlighted a separate issue where occasionally it will only register half my cadence (thus half my power). Time for a new battery and a firmware update check… all teething troubles, I’m looking forward to getting some more proper training in!

Also, I changed my reality setting to 100% because a) I’m training to ride in the real world and b) I’ve got all those gears on my bike, I should probably use them! I don’t think it gives me any particular advantage or disadvantage compared to other riders except having to change gears more often – Zwift say that the power output is what moves the rider.

jam-bo

when you calibrate where are you sitting between the lines? mine is about 1/3 of the way inbetween towards the low side. any tighter and the calibration seems to fail.

I’ve also found a lag of a second or so between the grade on the road stepping up and the tacx upping the resistance. one the rollercoaster section on watopia flat it is particulary noticable.

jam-bo

also, i did the specialized 50k challenge last night only to find it didn’t bloody register.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Right, I need some advice 🙂

I’m just coming back to doing things after 6 weeks off riding/running (broken foot healing). Its been tricky getting a shoe to fit well without pain, but it feels a lot better now.

So I did a Zwift “FTP” test on Tuesday night. This seemed to be a 70 min one; warmups at certain power levels (I have a 2240 now), then a 20 minute ride at FTP, then a cooldown. It was hard and I felt it, its been a long 6 weeks.

Numbers wise, my FTP averaged 198w, which is more or less where I thought it would be- I’m generally a bit sub-par, back of the bunch kind of rider.

This would make me (I think) in ‘D’?

Does Zwift have a training course I can follow to get me where I want to be- in ‘C’. I need to lose weight (11.5 stone and 5′ 7″) and I’ll work on that at the same time, but is there a Zwift plan I can follow?

zilog6128

This would make me (I think) in ‘D’?

You might find you’re towards the top of D or the bottom of C. It only matters in races where the categories are separated, in “mass start” races you can just keep pace with whoever you want so it doesn’t matter.

Does Zwift have a training course I can follow to get me where I want to be- in ‘C’. I need to lose weight (11.5 stone and 5′ 7″) and I’ll work on that at the same time, but is there a Zwift plan I can follow?

It does have workouts/training plans, but personally if I were going to do that I’d have just stuck with Trainerroad! I find Zwift racing much more engaging so I would just be racing at D & improving fitness that way. Depends how serious you are about training I suppose.

nathb
    Free Member

@codybrennan – If your 95% FTP is 198W and you weigh 73kg then you will be at 2.7W/KG = Zwift Category C

Just noticed than on the KISS Europe, Tue Dec 6th 2016 14:00 the results have changed, looks like a few folk have been DQ’d. I’m 23rd now 🙂
    http://www.zwiftpower.com/v2/race.php?id=1970

Looking at the stats from last night so far, it’s sickening if they stay like that as I was pushing out the highest W/KG I’ve ever done and only 8 secs from the leader. 😐 http://www.zwiftpower.com/v2/race.php?id=1971

Pierre

@jam bo – I’m also around 1/3 of the way across from the left, between the lines, on the loose side. I cranked up the tension on the adjuster knob and could feel the plastic handle flexing alarmingly as I pressed it onto the tyre. It was showing green, the app was happy, the calibration seemed accurate, I decided that was “good enough”.

I also got started on the 50km Specialized Roubaix thing, but met a friend on the road and attempted to keep up with him up a mountain (he’s around the same weight as me but happy to sit at 2.7W/kg for ages, I can’t sustain more than about 2.4 for more than ten minutes or so (yes, I’m unfit at the moment) so once he went offline to have some dinner I attempted to keep riding, but had a “soft bonk” about 35km, just about made it to 40km and thought “stuff this, I’m going to have some dinner. I’ll try and ride somewhere flat on Sunday morning!”

crosshair
    Free Member

You can leave your computer logged in and finish a challenge later if that helps 🙂

Pierre

That’s worth remembering, thanks! Although at 10:20 last night, with slightly jelly legs, packing everything in the living room away so my little boy could get to his advent calendar in the morning seemed like a better idea. 😉

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m doing mainly workouts on Zwift and they seem OK. The 6 week FTP builder was a bit easy so I’ve moved onto hard/easy days and made up my own recovery workout.

I’d be interested in TrainerRoad but they demand payment up front that you can claim back within the first 30 days. I’d prefer a login and try for a couple of weeks like Zwift first.

nathb
    Free Member

@AdamW
    I think you can import custom work outs, in fact I think there are websites dedicated to them.

Such as: http://www.zwiftworkouts.com/

AdamW
    Free Member

@nathb – yes I’ve grabbed them. I did Sufferfest – The Hunted yesterday. 🙂 I’d like their workouts to be extended more. TrainerRoad has oodles apparently and structured training plans. But then this could be trying to make Zwift into something it isn’t meant to be.

zilog6128

TrainerRoad has oodles apparently and structured training plans. But then this could be trying to make Zwift into something it isn’t meant to be.

Yes, to both of those points (IMO)

nathb
    Free Member

I’m not sure, I imagine the FTP test I did on Zwift to be more interesting than just a blank screen with a graph. The resistance was constant and didn’t change for the hills etc but the little virtual guys speed was being adjusted.

nathb
    Free Member

Solved my issues (so far).

Zwift is running windowed on my PC, this allows me to minimise etc on teamviewer running on the iPad. Turns out my Ant+ works from upstairs (I’ve ordered a USB extension to make the gap shorter).

Result = I just won a race 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Awesome! Which one?

nathb
    Free Member

The WBR 5km Race at 7:05pm 😆

There’s no record of it on Zwiftpower!? How annoying, I won by like 20+ seconds too with only my STRAVA to prove it.

crosshair
    Free Member

You’re as bad as Weeksy. He’s started racing obscure ones that nobody has heard of since our other mate is also a C cat 😉 😀

nathb
    Free Member

Haha they’re advertised on Zwiftpower though?!

The main thing is I seem to have (touch wood) ironed out my issues. Did a fresh install of Zwift for good measure too!

I’m rather happy with the stats on that ride, 414W average for 6:37 so circa 5.9w/kg (5.6w/kg using 95%) – if only it meant something on a leaderboard 😳

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m only messing- it’s awesome! Well done you. 🙂
    You may have to have a chat with ZADA soon to authorise your performance in some events- I think they double check people over 5w/kg.
    But hey- what a great problem to have 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

Nah after 10 minutes I would have bonked back to well below 5w/kg 🙂

Still waiting for the company I want to rent a Stages power meter from to get back to me.

Jason
    Free Member

I did the KISS race tonight. I had just eaten, and wasn’t really motivated to race. So started and just took it fairly easy in a reasonable size group, I think the front group was about 30 seconds ahead of us when we got to the bottom of Box Hill. I was feeling pretty fresh at that point so thought I may as well put a bit of effort in on the climb. Passed quite a few on the climb, got a PB for the climb too. Then backed off on the descent, ended up with a sprint finish in a small group at the end. It made a change from just riding the whole race at 110% and in the end I finished fairly high up in the C group. Race was a bit short at just over 30mins.

Nath well done on the result. The 95% relates to your 20minute power, which you wouldn’t have got in that race. Another way of working out FTP is 90% of your 8 minute effort, which you almost did in that race.

crosshair
    Free Member

Well done Jason! It’s nice when tactics get a chance to work. The mental starts can actually spoil any chance of good racing sometimes (although it’s better in staggered starts).

nathb
    Free Member

@Jason sounds like a good ride!

For my next long distance race attempt I may drop myself down a category and keep mid pack. In my normal cat everyone is tanking it (at least I hope they are), and they’re generally thinner on the ground, so it’s all out or come last.

But I’m not using any of those stats for anything, it was a 6:37 sprint – there’s no way I could replicate that for even 8 mins. 😀

nathb
    Free Member

I’ll be doing a ride at around 7pm tomorrow evening if anyone wants to join, looking at the events there’s nothing really on other than races. I’m happy to go at whatever pace someone wants to set.

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.